Cornell Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Lavitz

Cornell Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Shoot.

kandra

Re: Cornell Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by kandra » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Hey!

I've already decided on attending Cornell, but I've got a few questions.

Any recommendations on areas for nice-ish apartments? I've done the whole dorming thing the last four years of undergrad, so I'm not too keen on that. I'm pretty in the dark about Cornell lifestyle tbh. Also, any good gyms around Cornell?

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:34 pm

kandra wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:42 pm
Hey!

Any recommendations on areas for nice-ish apartments? I've done the whole dorming thing the last four years of undergrad, so I'm not too keen on that. I'm pretty in the dark about Cornell lifestyle tbh. Also, any good gyms around Cornell?
Good question, I'll try to update the OP with more comprehensive housing info when I have time.

In general, it's hard to get a nice apartment right near the law school for 1L because supply is limited and current Cornell students will have snatched them up by now. For example, during 1L, I signed a lease in October for my 2L apartment right down the hill from the law school. Also, living in collegetown (just south of the law school)means living around a lot of undergrads. But if you look a bit farther out and paying a bit extra, you can find good stuff.

If you don't mind spending the money, I recommend doing collegetown terrace: http://ithacastudentapartments.com/ . Many law students tend to live there, apartments are fairly new and really nice, it has a gym, not too far of a walk from the law school (maybe 10-15 minutes), and there's a shuttle that goes up to campus regularly if you don't want to walk. You can also look for places down near the Commons ("Downtown Ithaca" according to google maps, apparently). That'll be further downhill from the law school, but there's a TCAT bus that you can use, and new-to-Cornell students can take it for free the first year. And if you can get roommates to share an apartment near the commons, you can usually get a good place for really cheap.

Also worth noting that many apartments in the area are in standalone houses rather than large apartment buildings. Some of them are terrible and run-down, but if you can find a nice one, it may be a good deal. I lived in one for 2L and 3L that was pretty nice.

As for gyms, I used the university gym. Think it was something like $135 / year. There are a few locations. Noyes is right near the law school, but it's extremely small and always crowded. I once showed up the minute it opened and somehow both squat racks were taken. Should be fine if you just want to do a quick round of cardio though, and I believe they have some classes there. Teagle is about a 10 minute walk into the center of campus and is usually much better. Then there's Newman up on North campus, which is pretty far, but useful if you want to play basketball or go bowling. There are other gyms in the area, but most of them are far from the law school, and I'm not that familiar with them. Have heard good things about the boxing gyms though, like Black Irish Boxing.

Barack O'Drama

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Are there usually enough spots at the collegetown terrace for 1Ls. I really want to attend Cornell and would like to live there! Though I worry about availability.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm
Are there usually enough spots at the collegetown terrace for 1Ls. I really want to attend Cornell and would like to live there! Though I worry about availability.
Yeah, it traditionally hasn't filled up that fast, so it's a good option for 1Ls.

Barack O'Drama

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:57 pm
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm
Yeah, it traditionally hasn't filled up that fast, so it's a good option for 1Ls.

Awesome. I'm really hoping I get in and end up living there.

Thank you

Tsuga

Post by Tsuga » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:59 pm

Considering Cornell’s leadership in labor relations education, does Cornell outperform its rank for students interested in union-side labor law? For example, is/are there beneficial opportunities to enroll in ILR classes, a relatively strong network of students/faculty/alumni in the field, more substantial clinical opportunities in the field, reputational advantages, etc. that might allow a law student interested in union-side labor law (and employee-side employment law) to secure better employment from Cornell than from another T7-14 school?

kandra

Post by kandra » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:34 pm
kandra wrote:
Hey!

Good question, I'll try to update the OP with more comprehensive housing info when I have time.

In general, it's hard to get a nice apartment right near the law school for 1L because supply is limited and current Cornell students will have snatched them up by now. For example, during 1L, I signed a lease in October for my 2L apartment right down the hill from the law school. Also, living in collegetown (just south of the law school)means living around a lot of undergrads. But if you look a bit farther out and paying a bit extra, you can find good stuff.

If you don't mind spending the money, I recommend doing collegetown terrace: http://ithacastudentapartments.com/ . Many law students tend to live there, apartments are fairly new and really nice, it has a gym, not too far of a walk from the law school (maybe 10-15 minutes), and there's a shuttle that goes up to campus regularly if you don't want to walk. You can also look for places down near the Commons ("Downtown Ithaca" according to google maps, apparently). That'll be further downhill from the law school, but there's a TCAT bus that you can use, and new-to-Cornell students can take it for free the first year. And if you can get roommates to share an apartment near the commons, you can usually get a good place for really cheap.

Also worth noting that many apartments in the area are in standalone houses rather than large apartment buildings. Some of them are terrible and run-down, but if you can find a nice one, it may be a good deal. I lived in one for 2L and 3L that was pretty nice.

As for gyms, I used the university gym. Think it was something like $135 / year. There are a few locations. Noyes is right near the law school, but it's extremely small and always crowded. I once showed up the minute it opened and somehow both squat racks were taken. Should be fine if you just want to do a quick round of cardio though, and I believe they have some classes there. Teagle is about a 10 minute walk into the center of campus and is usually much better. Then there's Newman up on North campus, which is pretty far, but useful if you want to play basketball or go bowling. There are other gyms in the area, but most of them are far from the law school, and I'm not that familiar with them. Have heard good things about the boxing gyms though, like Black Irish Boxing.
These look great, thanks! Definitely would love to live in a place with a gym. Hoping to find a decent set of weights somewhere in Ithaca, so it's good to hear that it exists.Gonna check out Black Irish for sure.

Another quick question: Thoughts on the Roosevelt Island Tech Campus? I'm a CS undergrad major and I am super interested in spending a semester studying law there I've read that only 20 students are granted permission to study there. Is it a rigorous selection process? Any opinions on doing this?

Thanks again!

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:05 pm

Jeff wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:59 pm
Considering Cornell’s leadership in labor relations education, does Cornell outperform its rank for students interested in union-side labor law? For example, is/are there beneficial opportunities to enroll in ILR classes, a relatively strong network of students/faculty/alumni in the field, more substantial clinical opportunities in the field, reputational advantages, etc. that might allow a law student interested in union-side labor law (and employee-side employment law) to secure better employment from Cornell than from another T7-14 school?
It's a hard question to answer because of the small sample size. I don't recall knowing anyone who was gunning for a job in this field, so it's hard for me to say we "outperform our rank."

That said, I imagine Cornell's unique resources have to be helpful if that's what you're interested in. There are certainly beneficial opportunities to enroll in ILR classes, and there are other ILR events you can participate in. I specifically recall law students joining ILR students to do mock mediations with other schools. There is a labor law clinic (and perhaps relatedly, a farmworkers' clinic) that I believe did some good work. And sure, pretty much everyone knows that Cornell has the ILR school, so we have a good reputation for work in this field, but I don't think that'll help you with employment unless you actually show that you took advantage of having access to the ILR school.

So basically, it's hard for me to measure whether actual employment in this field is better from Cornell than other schools, but we do have good opportunities to build your skills and demonstrate your interest in the field. And if I were at a firm or PI org doing this type of work, I'd be more inclined to hire someone with a demonstrated commitment to this area than someone at another school who just took an employment law class.

Mma038

Post by Mma038 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks for doing this. I was wondering what the culture of Cornell is like. Is it really cutthroat and competitive? Or are the students more friendly and cordial? Also does the school emphasize big law or do students just tend to self select? Would you say that there is a strong support for those interested in PI?

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:47 pm

kandra wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm
Lavitz wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:34 pm
kandra wrote:
Hey!

These look great, thanks! Definitely would love to live in a place with a gym. Hoping to find a decent set of weights somewhere in Ithaca, so it's good to hear that it exists.Gonna check out Black Irish for sure.

Another quick question: Thoughts on the Roosevelt Island Tech Campus? I'm a CS undergrad major and I am super interested in spending a semester studying law there I've read that only 20 students are granted permission to study there. Is it a rigorous selection process? Any opinions on doing this?

Thanks again!
I graduated before the tech campus was a thing, so I don’t know anything about the selection process. But I will speculate that it shouldn’t be too difficult for you, based on how few people had “tech” degrees when I was there and how many people wanted to either study abroad during 3L Fall or not move from Ithaca at all.

As for whether it’s a good idea, again, not sure, but if it’s just one semester away, you get to immerse yourself in an area of interest, and you get some cool distinction out of it, it doesn’t sound like a bad deal. At least, my judge thinks it’s a good idea for a program, for what it’s worth.

Tsuga

Post by Tsuga » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:05 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:05 pm
Jeff wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:59 pm
It's a hard question to answer because of the small sample size. I don't recall knowing anyone who was gunning for a job in this field, so it's hard for me to say we "outperform our rank."

That said, I imagine Cornell's unique resources have to be helpful if that's what you're interested in. There are certainly beneficial opportunities to enroll in ILR classes, and there are other ILR events you can participate in. I specifically recall law students joining ILR students to do mock mediations with other schools. There is a labor law clinic (and perhaps relatedly, a farmworkers' clinic) that I believe did some good work. And sure, pretty much everyone knows that Cornell has the ILR school, so we have a good reputation for work in this field, but I don't think that'll help you with employment unless you actually show that you took advantage of having access to the ILR school.

So basically, it's hard for me to measure whether actual employment in this field is better from Cornell than other schools, but we do have good opportunities to build your skills and demonstrate your interest in the field. And if I were at a firm or PI org doing this type of work, I'd be more inclined to hire someone with a demonstrated commitment to this area than someone at another school who just took an employment law class.
Thank you! Makes a lot of sense.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Mma038 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm
Thanks for doing this. I was wondering what the culture of Cornell is like. Is it really cutthroat and competitive? Or are the students more friendly and cordial? Also does the school emphasize big law or do students just tend to self select? Would you say that there is a strong support for those interested in PI?
Definitely friendly and cordial, not cutthroat and competitive. You really have no other rational choice than to be noce to each other. It’s a small school in a rural setting where almost nobody already has an established group of family and friends in the area. So a tight knit community develops in the law school, and there are very few people willing to piss off their classmates. To be sure, people work hard, but that’s not the same as cutthroat or competitive behavior, imo. I liked the vast majority of my classmates and law school with them was as much fun as I imagine it can be.

I think the school probably does emphasize big law to some extent, but it’s not like it pushes it on people, and it’s probably not in any way that’s different than other schools. It’s just that a number of students enter law school and have no idea what they want to do afterwards, so naturally a lot of the career services events are geared to explaining how to get a job in biglaw because it’s the easiest path to a good legal job.

Definitely a lot of self selection. I’d say most people show up intending to start in biglaw. There are some people who start out undecided or claiming they want PI who then end up doing OCI because it’s hard to resist the temptation to have a job locked up at the beginning of 2L. Committing to PI usually means skipping OCI to do PI your 2L summer, and there’s no guarantee of a PI job after graduation.

If you are committed to PI, there is support. It may not be NYU levels of support, because I assume they have the benefit of more alumni, staff, etc., but there is support. And if you’re one of the few people desicated to PI, you don’t feel like you’re competing against anyone else for resources or opportunities. There’s a new PI dean since I graduated, so I can’t speak to how that person is, but the PI office was pretty good when I was there, and everyone I knew who really wanted to do PI found a job related to their interests, if not their dream job.

MJB

Post by MJB » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:00 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:21 pm
Mma038 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm
Definitely friendly and cordial, not cutthroat and competitive. You really have no other rational choice than to be noce to each other. It’s a small school in a rural setting where almost nobody already has an established group of family and friends in the area. So a tight knit community develops in the law school, and there are very few people willing to piss off their classmates. To be sure, people work hard, but that’s not the same as cutthroat or competitive behavior, imo. I liked the vast majority of my classmates and law school with them was as much fun as I imagine it can be.

I think the school probably does emphasize big law to some extent, but it’s not like it pushes it on people, and it’s probably not in any way that’s different than other schools. It’s just that a number of students enter law school and have no idea what they want to do afterwards, so naturally a lot of the career services events are geared to explaining how to get a job in biglaw because it’s the easiest path to a good legal job.

Definitely a lot of self selection. I’d say most people show up intending to start in biglaw. There are some people who start out undecided or claiming they want PI who then end up doing OCI because it’s hard to resist the temptation to have a job locked up at the beginning of 2L. Committing to PI usually means skipping OCI to do PI your 2L summer, and there’s no guarantee of a PI job after graduation.

If you are committed to PI, there is support. It may not be NYU levels of support, because I assume they have the benefit of more alumni, staff, etc., but there is support. And if you’re one of the few people desicated to PI, you don’t feel like you’re competing against anyone else for resources or opportunities. There’s a new PI dean since I graduated, so I can’t speak to how that person is, but the PI office was pretty good when I was there, and everyone I knew who really wanted to do PI found a job related to their interests, if not their dream job.
Agree with all of this - I think most people who aren't strongly committed to anything end up in biglaw because it hires early and it's not too hard to get from Cornell.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 pm

There's a pretty good chance that I end up at Cornell. I'd like to pay cost of living out of pocket to minimize my loans.. How possible is it to get a nice apartment for under $1000 a month? Close to the law school would be a plus, but as long as I'm close to a bus stop I'm fine with living further away.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:40 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 pm
There's a pretty good chance that I end up at Cornell. I'd like to pay cost of living out of pocket to minimize my loans.. How possible is it to get a nice apartment for under $1000 a month? Close to the law school would be a plus, but as long as I'm close to a bus stop I'm fine with living further away.
Should be easy if you’re willing to have roommates. Even if not, shouldn’t be too difficult. My studio was very close to the law school and about $1K a month, and there were cheaper units in my building. If you’re willing to live a bit further, like west of Stewart Ave, it shouldn’t be a problem. And if you look all the way down the hill towards the Commons, you’d be near a bus top.

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:40 pm
blackmamba8 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 pm
Should be easy if you’re willing to have roommates. Even if not, shouldn’t be too difficult. My studio was very close to the law school and about $1K a month, and there were cheaper units in my building. If you’re willing to live a bit further, like west of Stewart Ave, it shouldn’t be a problem. And if you look all the way down the hill towards the Commons, you’d be near a bus top.
Awesome, thank you. How much is the collegetown terrace place you mentioned? It looks great, so I'm assuming it's pricey. I went to thru site but couldn't find the prices.

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:18 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 pm
Awesome, thank you. How much is the collegetown terrace place you mentioned? It looks great, so I'm assuming it's pricey. I went to thru site but couldn't find the prices.
My understanding is that they don't post prices because they're negotiable (or at least they were four years ago when they were having trouble filling all their apartments). Back then, I heard mini studios ran around 1K, studios from 1200-1600, 1BR from 1400-1800, and 2BR from 1800-2200.

andysimbi

Post by andysimbi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:22 pm

How is Cornell in terms of negotiating scholarship amount? I really like everything about the program, but it'd be a much easier decision knowing my debt wouldn't be so mountainous...

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:22 pm

andysimbi wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:22 pm
How is Cornell in terms of negotiating scholarship amount? I really like everything about the program, but it'd be a much easier decision knowing my debt wouldn't be so mountainous...
Like virtually all of its peers, it's open to negotiations. I haven't negotiated personally, but I know people who have negotiated pretty good increases. Now I believe they've instituted some policy where you can only request reconsideration once, so I would suggest waiting until you have what you're sure is your best competing offer (if any). Then send them that along with an explanation that you're torn between the two choices, really like Cornell, and would likely attend if only it would leave you with less debt.

legallybrunette_

Post by legallybrunette_ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Hey! I've already decided on Cornell and was wondering when class sections go up on the admitted students page (just really eager).

runthetrap1990

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 pm

legallybrunette_ wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 pm
Hey! I've already decided on Cornell and was wondering when class sections go up on the admitted students page (just really eager).
You've got a little bit of time before that information comes out. You probably won't find out about sections until late-July/early-August (likely the latter).

blackmamba8

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm

I'm going to the March 23rd ASD and was hoping to be able to check out a few apartment complexes while I'm there. I know of collegetown terrace. Any others that I should keep in mind?

Lavitz

Post by Lavitz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm
I'm going to the March 23rd ASD and was hoping to be able to check out a few apartment complexes while I'm there. I know of collegetown terrace. Any others that I should keep in mind?
Some people used to live in apartment complexes down Oak and Maple Ave., but only one I remember the name of was Fairview: https://www.dawnhomes.com/apartments/ny ... /fairview/

If you'd like to live farther down by the Commons, check out Cayuga Place: https://cayugaplace.com/

chargers21

Post by chargers21 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:58 pm

Checking in.