Take A lower T14 (ex. Northwestern) NOW or Reapply?

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
ilovemang0s

Take A lower T14 (ex. Northwestern) NOW or Reapply?

Post by ilovemang0s » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:30 pm

LSL: I come to seek your advice.

I was recently accepted to lower tier T14 (think Northwestern, Cornell, etc). with a half scholarship $$. My background is HYPS with a 3.76 and 177. I sent out the majority of my apps in early January (first weekend) and some apps in mid January.

I was waitlisted at basically every T14, and rejected at HYS. As noted, I only recently got off the waitlist from a lower tier T14 with half scholarship.

I also hired Spivey for this past cycle and my consultant reviewed my applications. No C&F and nothing crazy except 5 LSAT takes with 177 being my highest and most recent.

Goals are federal appellate clerkship and biglaw with government policy work down the line. Part of me has aspirations that I know are tough to get (Top DC biglaw, feeder clerkships, etc.) from any school, though I know these opportunities are available deeper in higher ranked schools.

Should I take this offer from this lower tier T14 school, or should I reapply next cycle -- like September 1? I think applying late really hurt me as most of my applications didn't even go complete until February and March (I didn't realize there was a gap between when you submit your apps and when they go complete!) Also, this cycle was very front loaded with increased applicants and more high LSAT scores. Spivey also had this past cycle was the most competitive in recent history, and he expects next cycle to be competitive, but not as tough as this one.

Also, for next cycle (and something I did not have this past cycle), I'll be a newly commissioned military officer in the Army reserve (I'm Just finishing up military training now and expect to commission real soon), so that may be a new factor in the new cycle? if i reapply, i may try to find a 9-month active duty order and complete my Basic Officer Leadership course during that time instead of the 1L summer I had originally intended.

Would applying early and having military on my resume make a difference if I reapply to warrant different results? I know my GPA is low(er) but I can't change that.

I was really hoping to get into a T-6 this cycle, maybe even YSH, and was bummed when I didn't. I've had friends from my HYPS college get into YSH with my stats, but those were in previous cycles 1-3 years ago, cycles that were easier than it is now.

Do you think there's hope for me to get into a T-6 next cycle?

Looking for your advice. Thanks.

Stranger

Re: Take A lower T14 (ex. Northwestern) NOW or Reapply?

Post by Stranger » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:34 pm

Are you financing law school with debt? What will you do this year if you don't go?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:48 pm

Reapply next cycle

Story

Post by Story » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:43 pm

Those are surprisingly poor results for such good stats.

Military will help only a little. I would reapply.

ilovemang0s

Post by ilovemang0s » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:40 pm

Stranger wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:34 pm
Are you financing law school with debt? What will you do this year if you don't go?
I said in my post -- I'll try to find title 10 orders, which is basically find a 9 month military deployment/activation. basically, work full-time in the army.

ilovemang0s

Post by ilovemang0s » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:42 pm

Stranger wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:34 pm
i'll finance law school with debt. i'm hoping to get some scholarship and if i get into HYS, I think i'll be eligible for their max need based aid.

ilovemang0s

Post by ilovemang0s » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:44 pm

Story wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:43 pm

can you explain why military help only a little? maybe b/c im a newly commissioned officer, so i havent done much yet. i think applying earlier (like september) will be the biggest difference as i applied relatively late in the most competitive cycle in recent history this past year, which was really bad.

i have a classmate from my HYPS school who got a 180 and mid 3.6 gpa who was waitlisted/rejected at every T14 and only recently got off the waitlist to cornell, though he applied in late december. this past cycle was so rough.

ilovemang0s

Post by ilovemang0s » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:48 pm

fyi: the lower ranked t14 is cornell. please don't quote.

i know cornell is great for NYC biglaw, but i think with my goals, different schools may be better?

i'd really love to get DC biglaw at a top firm, an appellate feeder clerkship, and later down go into gov't and policy. i'm center-right, and am definitely interested in joining FedSoc. I've heard the FedSocs at Chicago, Harvard, Yale, and Virginia are amazing and are able to get ppl feeder appellate clerkships at the end of 1L.

I've not heard the same from Cornell, and i dont think Cornell's FedSoc or clerkship pipeline is that great.

Idk - what are your thoughts guys?

ilovemang0s

Post by ilovemang0s » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:48 pm

Nebby wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:48 pm
Reapply next cycle
can you explain your reasoning?

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:25 pm

Yeah, if you're financing with debt, I think an earlier application should at least get you a better scholarship offer at a lower T14. Your stats are very good, but you applied kinda late in a brutal cycle. Even in what will likely still be a tough cycle, the options available to you should be better earlier in the cycle--even if that's still a comparable school at a significantly lower price.

Story

Post by Story » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:23 am

ilovemang0s wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:44 pm
Story wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:43 pm

can you explain why military help only a little?
It’s a “soft”, not a hard stat that will clearly affect the school’s USNWR.

The two main things schools care about are LSAT and GPA because those two things will affect USNWR rankings significantly.

Anything else like internships, military, jobs, etc. are good to have, but they won’t significantly boost your chances.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:19 pm

ilovemang0s wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:48 pm
Nebby wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:48 pm
Reapply next cycle
can you explain your reasoning?
You underperformed your stats. Most likely due to applying late in the cycle. If you applied in October with those stats, would have seen better outcomes.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:03 pm

I'd say to reapply next cycle. You majorly underperformed your stats, and you're right that it was probably just applying late that hurt you. Apply in fall this round and you should do quite a bit better!

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:36 pm

Fedsoc judges will love your token military experience, none of this matters just go to Cornell.

Fiero85

Post by Fiero85 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:39 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:36 pm
Fedsoc judges will love your token military experience, none of this matters just go to Cornell.
Or go next cycle, with more than 50% scholly.

Reapply is annoying but good advice (just as retake+reapply is for many).

Edit to add: If DC fed clerk/biglaw is #1, reapply and take your likely options of UVA $ or GULC $$$ etc
Last edited by Fiero85 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:43 pm

i say reapply as well. what does spivey think?

64Fl

Post by 64Fl » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:20 am

I heard this cycle was a bloodbath and potentially the most competitive cycle on record due to (1) people deferring to avoid COVID school of law and consequently taking up seats for this cycle before the cycle even began and (2) LSAT flex + increase unemployment dramatically increasing both applications and the number of folks in the higher bands of the LSAT score range. When you combine that with the fact that you applied so late, I find it hard to imagine you won't have a dramatically better cycle with an early app this year. Hopefully some of the build up in the system from deferrals, LSAT flexes, better employment opportunities, etc. will be discharged, and you won't run into the typical late application problems.