Hamilton + Darrow vs. Rest of T7-14

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Nony

Re: Hamilton + Darrow vs. Rest of T7-14

Post by Nony » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:40 pm

For federal government work, you usually need to be a US citizen. I don’t know about state government work. The problem with local government and PI work is that they don’t usually have the resources/knowledge to sponsor visas for their employees (not to say it couldn’t ever happen, but I wouldn’t expect it). And as Story noted above, you can’t get paid to be a federal clerk as a non-citizen, except in Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, and Hawaii. (and Hawaii is really competitive for obvious reasons.) I don’t think this generally applies to state clerkships but you’d have to check.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:43 pm

ETA: Scooped above.

The US government cannot hire non-citizens in the continental US by law. That includes federal courts so clerking is out unless you can get one outside of the continental US. I’ve occasionally seen people want a clerkship so badly they took an unpaid fed clerkship to get around this rule but given your desired career path it didn’t seem like it’s worth the foregone income.

PI orgs are always strapped for cash, and H1B costs money. Anyway, if you want to get PI, your resume should really have public interest written all over it so PI is not some fallback you have for when you strike out of OCI.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:43 pm

The US government cannot hire non-citizens in the continental US by law. That includes federal courts so clerking is out unless you can get one outside of the continental US. I’ve occasionally seen people want a clerkship so badly they took an unpaid fed clerkship to get around this rule but given your desired career path it didn’t seem like it’s worth the foregone income.

PI orgs are always strapped for cash, and H1B costs money. Anyway, if you want to get PI, your resume should really have public interest written all over it so PI is not some fallback you have for when you strike out of OCI.
Thank you for your responses Nony and heythatslife. I'm not really interested in going into PI/government work, which I guess is a good thing given the barriers that exist in practicing as a non-citizen. Fascinating to learn more about the rules surrounding practicing as an international student though, so thank you both for explaining it.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:10 pm

heythatslife wrote:

Quick question, does Yale provide support that allows their International graduates to participate in PI work? I think I heard something about it in one of their webinars, but I'm not too certain. If an International student wanted to do PI work, would Yale be their best bet?

Ilike2read

Post by Ilike2read » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:08 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:10 pm
heythatslife wrote:

Quick question, does Yale provide support that allows their International graduates to participate in PI work? I think I heard something about it in one of their webinars, but I'm not too certain. If an International student wanted to do PI work, would Yale be their best bet?
This doesn't overcome the 10,000 pound elephant in the room: PI options for international students is highly limited. Government is largely foreclosed. Non-profits, etc. aren't sponsoring H1B's. Furthermore, any payment assistance program is generally predicated on continuous employment. Nothing Yale or any school can provide can overcome this reality for international students, unfortunately.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:51 pm

Ilike2read wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:08 pm
cookiemonster wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:10 pm
heythatslife wrote:

This doesn't overcome the 10,000 pound elephant in the room: PI options for international students is highly limited. Government is largely foreclosed. Non-profits, etc. aren't sponsoring H1B's. Furthermore, any payment assistance program is generally predicated on continuous employment. Nothing Yale or any school can provide can overcome this reality for international students, unfortunately.
Yeah that makes sense, thank you for all this information!