Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
User avatar
necho2
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:57 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by necho2 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:56 am

icechicken wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:53 pm
necho2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:17 pm
Harvard continues to lag Chicago on clerkships huh? Tsk tsk... I suspect UChi is a little inflated by the quality of the Fed Soc pipeline + a broader pool of potential candidates who aren't averse to clerking in far-flung non-coastal places, but I think some of it too is just how strongly the school/internalized student pressure pushes folks to apply pretty aggressively.
Class size gives Chicago (and Stanford/Yale) a huge edge on Harvard for some of these per-capita stats. It's easier to place 1/4 of your class in clerkships when the that means 50 people and not 150, given the personal nature of these positions.

To put it another way: HLS is about as big as Yale/Stanford/Chicago combined, and it places about 80% as many people into federal clerkships as those three schools combined. That's pretty impressive IMO.
The analysis above was done with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek- not really knocking HLS at all, and I don't honestly think UChicago's clerkship placement power is better than Harvard. But also- I don't quite understand how smaller classes + the personal nature of clerkship hiring would create a drag on Harvard's clerking numbers relative to YSC? Unless you mean like diluted quality of recommenders because of the larger class size?

There are a ton of federal judges who went to Harvard and plenty of T14 and below kids who clerk, so it doesn't feel like size should necessarily be a disadvantage, except to the extent that it prevents students from distinguishing themselves and standing out (which may be exactly the point you're making, idk). I think it's more likely that Chicago has more students who want to clerk and are willing to move pretty much anywhere to make it happen, and maybe the smaller size means that it's a little easier to make connections that help with hiring on the margins?

Edit: Missed the posts in between that explain what you meant, definitely makes sense. I still think the factors I've articulated matter more, but there probably are quirks to clerkship hiring that make it a bit easier to fall through the cracks if you're top 1/3 or 40% within 600 (jesus) people at HLS than at UChicago. SLS/YLS just plain place better though I think....

User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 10517
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by Johannes » Sun May 03, 2020 2:29 am

icechicken wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:28 am
Duke > sTTTanford confirmed
Why do people post this stupid shit. Clearly Stanford grads are going to venture capital and tech right out the gate.

User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 10517
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by Johannes » Sun May 03, 2020 2:31 am

Stranger wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm
Harvard - 74.1% (+1.4%)
Columbia - 84.0% (+2.0%)
Virginia - 78.3% (-5.0%)
UCLA - 51.4% (+3.0%)
WUSTL - 52.3% (+0.1%)
Florida - 24.2% (+7.3%)
Washington & Lee - 35.5% (+9.8%)

Barring a surprise off the top rope from NYU or Northwestern, I believe we're able to crown Columbia as the elite employment champion of the year.
How could you with a straight face say Columbia is better at employing people than Yale Harvard and Stanford. Why are fucking undergrads running this on the site.

User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 10517
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by Johannes » Sun May 03, 2020 2:33 am

necho2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:17 pm
SLS takes a lead over YLS in the clerking numbers this year! Also LOL@ their defensive-sounding specificity w/ the JD-Advantage jobs... "THESE ARE THE COOL ONES, NOT THE LAME ONES GUYS!!!" In all seriousness, those are quite impressive JD-advantage gigs though!

Harvard continues to lag Chicago on clerkships huh? Tsk tsk... I suspect UChi is a little inflated by the quality of the Fed Soc pipeline + a broader pool of potential candidates who aren't averse to clerking in far-flung non-coastal places, but I think some of it too is just how strongly the school/internalized student pressure pushes folks to apply pretty aggressively.
You can make damn near a half mill in JD advantage jobs out of the top 3 law schools. What do you mean.

User avatar
necho2
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:57 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by necho2 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:40 am

Johannes wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:33 am
necho2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:17 pm
SLS takes a lead over YLS in the clerking numbers this year! Also LOL@ their defensive-sounding specificity w/ the JD-Advantage jobs... "THESE ARE THE COOL ONES, NOT THE LAME ONES GUYS!!!" In all seriousness, those are quite impressive JD-advantage gigs though!

Harvard continues to lag Chicago on clerkships huh? Tsk tsk... I suspect UChi is a little inflated by the quality of the Fed Soc pipeline + a broader pool of potential candidates who aren't averse to clerking in far-flung non-coastal places, but I think some of it too is just how strongly the school/internalized student pressure pushes folks to apply pretty aggressively.
You can make damn near a half mill in JD advantage jobs out of the top 3 law schools. What do you mean.
This.

User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 10517
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by Johannes » Sun May 03, 2020 2:42 am

My b. Thought that was the sarcasm.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by Stranger » Sun May 03, 2020 9:30 am

Johannes wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:31 am
Stranger wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm
Harvard - 74.1% (+1.4%)
Columbia - 84.0% (+2.0%)
Virginia - 78.3% (-5.0%)
UCLA - 51.4% (+3.0%)
WUSTL - 52.3% (+0.1%)
Florida - 24.2% (+7.3%)
Washington & Lee - 35.5% (+9.8%)

Barring a surprise off the top rope from NYU or Northwestern, I believe we're able to crown Columbia as the elite employment champion of the year.
How could you with a straight face say Columbia is better at employing people than Yale Harvard and Stanford. Why are fucking undergrads running this on the site.
I mean, I declined to say "of the sort captured by the ABA employment statistics" because that's what this thread is all about. But I haven't been an undergrad in a very long time.

User avatar
icechicken
Lost in the sauce
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:14 pm

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by icechicken » Sun May 03, 2020 10:45 am

Johannes wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:29 am
icechicken wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:28 am
Duke > sTTTanford confirmed
Why do people post this stupid shit. Clearly Stanford grads are going to venture capital and tech right out the gate.
just 'avin' a giggle m8



User avatar
64Fl
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:48 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by 64Fl » Thu May 07, 2020 7:04 am

Northwestern gets such a raw deal in these statistics. This year is -4.7%, but the great outcomes are actually probably UP. That 10% JD/MBA class really skews things, because the Kellogg MBA leads to some very nice gigs. Last year only 8 students went into JD advantage roles. This year it was 21. If you include JD advantage jobs, it go 79.0% (C/O 2018) to 80.0% (C/O 2019) (+1.0%).

In comparison, the other T13 placed far fewer grads in JD advantage gigs: Columbia (3), NYU (5), Chicago (2), Penn (7), Virginia (6), Stanford (9), Cornell (4), Harvard (24), Berkeley (5), Michigan (4), Yale (7). Harvard's number isn't even that good considering its class size is 2.5x as big as Northwestern.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by Stranger » Thu May 07, 2020 1:08 pm

64Fl wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:04 am
Northwestern gets such a raw deal in these statistics. This year is -4.7%, but the great outcomes are actually probably UP. That 10% JD/MBA class really skews things, because the Kellogg MBA leads to some very nice gigs. Last year only 8 students went into JD advantage roles. This year it was 21. If you include JD advantage jobs, it go 79.0% (C/O 2018) to 80.0% (C/O 2019) (+1.0%).

In comparison, the other T13 placed far fewer grads in JD advantage gigs: Columbia (3), NYU (5), Chicago (2), Penn (7), Virginia (6), Stanford (9), Cornell (4), Harvard (24), Berkeley (5), Michigan (4), Yale (7). Harvard's number isn't even that good considering its class size is 2.5x as big as Northwestern.
This is a perennial Northwestern complaint - and we can use the numbers they provide to show the rate change between the full class and those not earning MBAs (feel free to do so - I may get to it later). But the JD Advantage category is also a black box that can contain amazing results and mediocrity in entirely unclear proportion. I get that for Northwestern JD-MBAs, its usually good, just like it is at Yale. But How good an outcome is it at USC? Notre Dame? Wake Forest? Villanova?

Unlike the four categories we combine in this thread, it's unclear whether JD Advantage represents jobs likely to set you up to pay off your loans in the bulk of cases across schools. It's kinda like "business" in that regard.

User avatar
icechicken
Lost in the sauce
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:14 pm

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by icechicken » Thu May 07, 2020 4:31 pm

Stranger wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:08 pm
64Fl wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:04 am
Northwestern gets such a raw deal in these statistics. This year is -4.7%, but the great outcomes are actually probably UP. That 10% JD/MBA class really skews things, because the Kellogg MBA leads to some very nice gigs. Last year only 8 students went into JD advantage roles. This year it was 21. If you include JD advantage jobs, it go 79.0% (C/O 2018) to 80.0% (C/O 2019) (+1.0%).

In comparison, the other T13 placed far fewer grads in JD advantage gigs: Columbia (3), NYU (5), Chicago (2), Penn (7), Virginia (6), Stanford (9), Cornell (4), Harvard (24), Berkeley (5), Michigan (4), Yale (7). Harvard's number isn't even that good considering its class size is 2.5x as big as Northwestern.
This is a perennial Northwestern complaint - and we can use the numbers they provide to show the rate change between the full class and those not earning MBAs (feel free to do so - I may get to it later). But the JD Advantage category is also a black box that can contain amazing results and mediocrity in entirely unclear proportion. I get that for Northwestern JD-MBAs, its usually good, just like it is at Yale. But How good an outcome is it at USC? Notre Dame? Wake Forest? Villanova?

Unlike the four categories we combine in this thread, it's unclear whether JD Advantage represents jobs likely to set you up to pay off your loans in the bulk of cases across schools. It's kinda like "business" in that regard.
Agreed. At lower-ranked schools, "JD-preferred" often means working as a tax preparer or something, which is why it's important to exclude. A handful of people with T13+M7 JD-MBAs are pulling some pretty great comp packages, and a different handful of people from HYS are doing cool unicorn stuff. But even at top schools, JD-preferred outcomes aren't exactly a dream job but rather a backup option for people who realized they hate law. By definition, these are roles where the JD wasn't strictly needed and so it's hard to assign it anywhere near the ROI value of the BL+FC outcomes.


User avatar
SmittyWerben
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by SmittyWerben » Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 pm

Johannes wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:33 am
necho2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:17 pm
SLS takes a lead over YLS in the clerking numbers this year! Also LOL@ their defensive-sounding specificity w/ the JD-Advantage jobs... "THESE ARE THE COOL ONES, NOT THE LAME ONES GUYS!!!" In all seriousness, those are quite impressive JD-advantage gigs though!

Harvard continues to lag Chicago on clerkships huh? Tsk tsk... I suspect UChi is a little inflated by the quality of the Fed Soc pipeline + a broader pool of potential candidates who aren't averse to clerking in far-flung non-coastal places, but I think some of it too is just how strongly the school/internalized student pressure pushes folks to apply pretty aggressively.
You can make damn near a half mill in JD advantage jobs out of the top 3 law schools. What do you mean.
I've heard this every now and again, do you happen to have any sources for these high-paying unicorn jobs that Yale/Harvard kids are getting that are closed off to the rest of us?

User avatar
SmittyWerben
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by SmittyWerben » Sun May 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Johannes wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:31 am
Stranger wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm
Harvard - 74.1% (+1.4%)
Columbia - 84.0% (+2.0%)
Virginia - 78.3% (-5.0%)
UCLA - 51.4% (+3.0%)
WUSTL - 52.3% (+0.1%)
Florida - 24.2% (+7.3%)
Washington & Lee - 35.5% (+9.8%)

Barring a surprise off the top rope from NYU or Northwestern, I believe we're able to crown Columbia as the elite employment champion of the year.
How could you with a straight face say Columbia is better at employing people than Yale Harvard and Stanford. Why are fucking undergrads running this on the site.
These are objective LEGAL employment statistics. Not sure why you're getting angry about this. The fact is that if you want to be a lawyer that starts his/her career as a federal clerk or biglaw (two great outcomes) Columbia has the highest percentage of students that get those outcomes. Harvard/Yale is more prestigious, no one is saying they aren't. But Columbia put out more students in those two specific outcomes.

User avatar
SmittyWerben
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by SmittyWerben » Sun May 10, 2020 10:26 pm

Johannes wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:29 am
icechicken wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:28 am
Duke > sTTTanford confirmed
Why do people post this stupid shit. Clearly Stanford grads are going to venture capital and tech right out the gate.
lol ah yes, all those VC and tech folks just LOVE having fresh, no-experience law students at their "move fast / break things" firms :lol:

User avatar
necho2
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:57 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by necho2 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:45 pm

SmittyWerben wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 pm
Johannes wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:33 am
necho2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:17 pm
SLS takes a lead over YLS in the clerking numbers this year! Also LOL@ their defensive-sounding specificity w/ the JD-Advantage jobs... "THESE ARE THE COOL ONES, NOT THE LAME ONES GUYS!!!" In all seriousness, those are quite impressive JD-advantage gigs though!

Harvard continues to lag Chicago on clerkships huh? Tsk tsk... I suspect UChi is a little inflated by the quality of the Fed Soc pipeline + a broader pool of potential candidates who aren't averse to clerking in far-flung non-coastal places, but I think some of it too is just how strongly the school/internalized student pressure pushes folks to apply pretty aggressively.
You can make damn near a half mill in JD advantage jobs out of the top 3 law schools. What do you mean.
I've heard this every now and again, do you happen to have any sources for these high-paying unicorn jobs that Yale/Harvard kids are getting that are closed off to the rest of us?
I mean just read the specific JD-advantage jobs SLS says their grads wound up in- I don't think it's particularly unlikely that in a good year a VC/PE associate can crack that, and depending on what their vesting schedule looks like, the BigTech folks might get close fairly quickly too. Obviously WLRK and maybe Susman (in a good bonus year) also might get close within a year or two after graduation, but these are objectively pretty lucrative outcomes... The problem is just that these outcomes are so rare and absent a full disclosure of what jobs JD-advantage grads get, BL/FC% is a better overall metric for employability.


User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 4017
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 11, 2020 10:17 pm

necho2 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:45 pm
SmittyWerben wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 pm
Johannes wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:33 am
necho2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:17 pm
SLS takes a lead over YLS in the clerking numbers this year! Also LOL@ their defensive-sounding specificity w/ the JD-Advantage jobs... "THESE ARE THE COOL ONES, NOT THE LAME ONES GUYS!!!" In all seriousness, those are quite impressive JD-advantage gigs though!

Harvard continues to lag Chicago on clerkships huh? Tsk tsk... I suspect UChi is a little inflated by the quality of the Fed Soc pipeline + a broader pool of potential candidates who aren't averse to clerking in far-flung non-coastal places, but I think some of it too is just how strongly the school/internalized student pressure pushes folks to apply pretty aggressively.
You can make damn near a half mill in JD advantage jobs out of the top 3 law schools. What do you mean.
I've heard this every now and again, do you happen to have any sources for these high-paying unicorn jobs that Yale/Harvard kids are getting that are closed off to the rest of us?
I mean just read the specific JD-advantage jobs SLS says their grads wound up in- I don't think it's particularly unlikely that in a good year a VC/PE associate can crack that, and depending on what their vesting schedule looks like, the BigTech folks might get close fairly quickly too. Obviously WLRK and maybe Susman (in a good bonus year) also might get close within a year or two after graduation, but these are objectively pretty lucrative outcomes... The problem is just that these outcomes are so rare and absent a full disclosure of what jobs JD-advantage grads get, BL/FC% is a better overall metric for employability.
I think there is a sliding scale of deference to these sorts of objective measures of employment. BL/FC% is a proxy for "financially acceptable" outcome, but more deference should be given to Stanford than is given to WUSTL, more deference to Harvard than Duke, and likely NU JD/MBA to UCLA JD advantage outcomes. The problem is in collecting that level of granularity because the employment data provided by schools usually doesn't draw these distinctions out and relies on overly broad categories to define an overly broad category like JD advantage.

Much like flaws in Vault, ATL, LST, and the like, there will be overfitting and underfitting when you try to capture "good" outcomes. BL/FC% is the most easily drawn because of its likelihood of being reliable. Occasionally schools will miss the really good JD-advantage or PI outcomes, and sometimes there will be a person at an ID firm with 101 attorneys paying less, but substantially the figure captures financially stable outcomes, even accepting it is imperfect.

User avatar
necho2
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:57 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by necho2 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:39 am

UVA2B wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:17 pm
I think there is a sliding scale of deference to these sorts of objective measures of employment. BL/FC% is a proxy for "financially acceptable" outcome, but more deference should be given to Stanford than is given to WUSTL, more deference to Harvard than Duke, and likely NU JD/MBA to UCLA JD advantage outcomes. The problem is in collecting that level of granularity because the employment data provided by schools usually doesn't draw these distinctions out and relies on overly broad categories to define an overly broad category like JD advantage.

Much like flaws in Vault, ATL, LST, and the like, there will be overfitting and underfitting when you try to capture "good" outcomes. BL/FC% is the most easily drawn because of its likelihood of being reliable. Occasionally schools will miss the really good JD-advantage or PI outcomes, and sometimes there will be a person at an ID firm with 101 attorneys paying less, but substantially the figure captures financially stable outcomes, even accepting it is imperfect.
Completely agree.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 9622
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by Nebby » Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am

Some of you all do not post in the lounge so you wouldn't know this, but you shouldn't take 69% of what Johann says seriously.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by Stranger » Tue May 12, 2020 11:42 am

UVA2B wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:17 pm
necho2 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:45 pm
SmittyWerben wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 pm
Johannes wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:33 am
necho2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:17 pm
SLS takes a lead over YLS in the clerking numbers this year! Also LOL@ their defensive-sounding specificity w/ the JD-Advantage jobs... "THESE ARE THE COOL ONES, NOT THE LAME ONES GUYS!!!" In all seriousness, those are quite impressive JD-advantage gigs though!

Harvard continues to lag Chicago on clerkships huh? Tsk tsk... I suspect UChi is a little inflated by the quality of the Fed Soc pipeline + a broader pool of potential candidates who aren't averse to clerking in far-flung non-coastal places, but I think some of it too is just how strongly the school/internalized student pressure pushes folks to apply pretty aggressively.
You can make damn near a half mill in JD advantage jobs out of the top 3 law schools. What do you mean.
I've heard this every now and again, do you happen to have any sources for these high-paying unicorn jobs that Yale/Harvard kids are getting that are closed off to the rest of us?
I mean just read the specific JD-advantage jobs SLS says their grads wound up in- I don't think it's particularly unlikely that in a good year a VC/PE associate can crack that, and depending on what their vesting schedule looks like, the BigTech folks might get close fairly quickly too. Obviously WLRK and maybe Susman (in a good bonus year) also might get close within a year or two after graduation, but these are objectively pretty lucrative outcomes... The problem is just that these outcomes are so rare and absent a full disclosure of what jobs JD-advantage grads get, BL/FC% is a better overall metric for employability.
I think there is a sliding scale of deference to these sorts of objective measures of employment. BL/FC% is a proxy for "financially acceptable" outcome, but more deference should be given to Stanford than is given to WUSTL, more deference to Harvard than Duke, and likely NU JD/MBA to UCLA JD advantage outcomes. The problem is in collecting that level of granularity because the employment data provided by schools usually doesn't draw these distinctions out and relies on overly broad categories to define an overly broad category like JD advantage.

Much like flaws in Vault, ATL, LST, and the like, there will be overfitting and underfitting when you try to capture "good" outcomes. BL/FC% is the most easily drawn because of its likelihood of being reliable. Occasionally schools will miss the really good JD-advantage or PI outcomes, and sometimes there will be a person at an ID firm with 101 attorneys paying less, but substantially the figure captures financially stable outcomes, even accepting it is imperfect.
We're also missing outcomes like jobs at market/above-market boutiques, clerking on the Delaware Court of Chancery (or a state Supreme Court), and government honors programs. Those are all great outcomes, but very hard to distinguish in the statistics from shitlaw, clerking for a NJ trial court, and being a local prosecutor. A school putting over half of its graduates into the prestige outcomes this thread tracks is very likely putting the bulk of its government, PI, and state clerks in good positions as well (and its JD advantage outcomes are likely good), and the higher that BL/FC number goes, the more likely that any given employment outcome the school produces is likely a "good" version of that outcome.

Folks interested in government/PI should also look into the relevant thread that Nebby runs to see how the various LRAPs are regarded, because a great LRAP definitely makes for a solid financial outcome, and a person landing a government/PI gig out of a school with that kind of support very likely set out to do that sort of work when they applied to law school in the first place. If we look at Yale, for instance, 17.5% of its graduates in this last class were in government/PI jobs, and a few more were in state clerkships. Given the rest of Yale's numbers and its genuinely awesome LRAP, we can be pretty sure that all of those students were doing work they really wanted to do in a financially viable situation. The ten pursuing graduate degrees are also likely doing things they want to do. That's part of why, when I wasn't focusing on law school, I was including all of those other categories in my big spreadsheet - so folks can evaluate it easily for themselves.

There are also some inherent flaws in relying purely on these numbers. Someone who gets a job with a big personal injury or divorce shop that happens to hit 101 attorneys (or the bigger regional firms that aren't really paying market) will still show up in the biglaw pool. There's not really a way to filter these results out without excluding a lot of relevant data, nor is there a way to distinguish a school placing its graduate with a magistrate judge as opposed to a circuit judge.

TL;DR: The statistics in this thread are imperfect, but still useful.


User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: Employment Statistics by School - C/O 2019 rolling out + C/O 2012-2017 data

Post by Stranger » Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 pm

NYU - 71.3% (-3.8%)
Brooklyn - 22.9% (+3.1%)
St. Louis - 22.0% (+4.4%)
Chicago-Kent - 19.8% (+2.6%)
Loyola (Chicago) - 19.8% (+2.7%)
Cincinnati - 19.8% (+3.1%)
San Diego - 19.7% (+3.0%)
West Virginia - 18.6% (-1.8%)
LSU - 14.5% (-2.0%)

NYU is currently linking to their own table of the stats rather than the ABA report, which they don't have linked yet. This required more multiplication than my usual calculation, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate. Utah Law has its report up, but fell below the 10% cutoff. ASU, BYU, Cardozo, Kentucky, and Santa Clara are still missing reports. Beyond that, no school that posted over 16.5% last year remains (but I could always be missing somewhere that had a big jump). I'll take another pass at this later to go further down the list, but I'm confident that the bulk of the important results are listed already.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests