Harvard vs. Yale NY Big Law

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
cookiemonster

Re: Harvard vs. Yale NY Big Law

Post by cookiemonster » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:40 pm

pneumonia wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:17 pm
pneumonia wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 pm
cookiemonster wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:34 am
pneumonia wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:54 pm
NYC transactional while aiming for F500 GC is one of the few goals where Harvard makes sense over Yale. Proximity to HBS and larger class sizes both favor H here.
Ahh so this is the network argument, correct? Does the alumni network, or simply knowing a lot more future lawyers, really make that much of a difference? The prestige of Yale's law school wouldn't outweigh this?
Yale's prestige is very real and measurable in many contexts. I don't think NYC transactional law and F500 GCs offices are among them. As nony said, the HLS network is bigger, by about 3x. That mean all the more touch points for going in house. Meanwhile, many from Yale's smaller class will be aiming exclusively for academia or academia-adjacent roles. There were about a half-dozen people that I knew in my class who had chosen HLS over YLS. One did so because s/he liked Cambridge more than New Haven and didn't really plan to practice anyway. The rest were hypersocial networkers aiming for business or political careers.
ETA: put another way, either will give you almost a 100% shot at NYC transactional, which is the first step in your plan. Beyond that, moving in house will require connections (some of which you'll develop at your firm), and the prestige difference between H and Yale will be irrelevant.
That’s very interesting. I’m wondering, assuming I chose Yale, if the connections I’d make at a firm would be sufficient for those goals even without the initial network one would make at Harvard. I would assume there’s just no way to know that far in advance, but thank you for breaking that down!

Nony

Post by Nony » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:48 pm

Yes. Once you actually work in biglaw, school name doesn’t become completely irrelevant, but the difference between Yale and Harvard will be insignificant compared to your actual experience. And you will be able to make the necessary connections out of Yale or out of Harvard. If you don’t make your way to your preferred in-house outcome after working in corporate biglaw, it won’t be because you went to Harvard over Yale or vice versa.

(Also... this debate probably isn’t worth spending much time on until you have all your acceptances and financial aid in hand.)

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:30 pm

Nony wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:48 pm
Yes. Once you actually work in biglaw, school name doesn’t become completely irrelevant, but the difference between Yale and Harvard will be insignificant compared to your actual experience. And you will be able to make the necessary connections out of Yale or out of Harvard. If you don’t make your way to your preferred in-house outcome after working in corporate biglaw, it won’t be because you went to Harvard over Yale or vice versa.

(Also... this debate probably isn’t worth spending much time on until you have all your acceptances and financial aid in hand.)
Got it, thank you for clarifying. Also this scenario where I can go to two of the best schools in the world for free would only happen in a dream haha, I was just wondering which would be the better option in that case. Likely heading to CCN, but was just curious.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:19 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:49 am
pancakes3 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:39 am
The best answer is likely: you probably don't want to be a lawyer and if you have the credentials where Yale is in play, and want to be in a senior position at a F500, it'd be better to go to b school
Assuming b school means business school, you need experience, no? I'm a KJD so I don't think business school will be an option for at least 2-3 years, law school seems like a quicker path IMO. Am I wrong to think so?
A quicker path to what? And to do what? Quicker by how much?

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:27 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:19 pm
cookiemonster wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
The best answer is likely: you probably don't want to be a lawyer and if you have the credentials where Yale is in play, and want to be in a senior position at a F500, it'd be better to go to b school
Assuming b school means business school, you need experience, no? I'm a KJD so I don't think business school will be an option for at least 2-3 years, law school seems like a quicker path IMO. Am I wrong to think so?
To senior position at F500? Like you said it’d be better to go to business school, but I’d need to get some work experience before I even enrol. Seems quicker to start in Law now, no?

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:02 pm

There are way more senior non lawyer jobs at F500s than there are lawyer jobs so if your goal is just to end up at the top of a big org chart b school is the way to go even if you have to wait a few years to get there. Doing corporate at a cravath or wachtell is no guarantee of the outcome you want.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:12 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:27 pm
pancakes3 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:19 pm
cookiemonster wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
To senior position at F500? Like you said it’d be better to go to business school, but I’d need to get some work experience before I even enrol. Seems quicker to start in Law now, no?
My questions were rhetorical. I don't mean to be cryptic, but you're asking questions to which there aren't any meaningful answers, and you're not asking yourself the right questions.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:56 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:02 pm
There are way more senior non lawyer jobs at F500s than there are lawyer jobs so if your goal is just to end up at the top of a big org chart b school is the way to go even if you have to wait a few years to get there. Doing corporate at a cravath or wachtell is no guarantee of the outcome you want.
My goal is honestly to just make as much money as possible. In 3 years I can be making +200k in law, increasing rapidly. Business careers aren’t that defined, I feel like law is a safer route.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:57 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:56 pm
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
My goal is honestly to just make as much money as possible. In 3 years I can be making +200k in law, increasing rapidly. Business careers aren’t that defined, I feel like law is a safer route.
You’re chasing the wrong profession then. The vast majority of lawyers top out at like 250k. I don’t understand your assertion that business careers aren’t that defined. If you get into a decent B school (like around top 15) and gun for IB you will probably get it and gives you a better platform for C-suite position long term (which has only one seat for lawyers as GC).

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:00 pm

You get squeezed out of biglaw after 8 years anyway so it's a good way to bank money but it's not a good way to guarantee wealth. you'll still have a comfortable life in your exit options but all of them, including exiting to F500 as an AGC is going to involve a paycut.

Just to humor your question of "is it faster?" look at these timelines:

Straight to B-school:
-> 2 years in B school
-> Start as a junior exec with a chance to make it to an executive VP

Delayed B-school
-> 2-3 years as an analyst/consultant
-> 2 years B-school
-> Junior exec with a chance of making to an executive VP position

KJD at HYSCCN
-> 3 years of law school
-> 2-5 years as an associate (2, and even 3 is rare)
-> AGC at F500 with a chance to one day make it as GC

There's no meaningful way to say whether business school is a "faster" route to the top.

Pros of B-school:
- wider range of subject material to work on
- wider range of opportunities to be promoted into
- 1 less year of tuition/CoL expenditure
- not law*

Pros of Law School
- Biglaw paycheck for 2-5 years
- Undergrad is less of a factor. Though some law jobs are still sensitive to the prestige of your undergrad, business is more so (not just the school, but your major/program e.g. Wharton).

*law is a boring slog. i have a friend at a F500 without a business school degree, but is 2ish levels below an senior level position who does M&A. he does the "cool" stuff like negotiations and actually makes decisions re: deals. the attorneys just put the terms into writing, proofread, and inform the businesspeople of the risks - and that's outside counsel. in-house counsel is even further removed from the business side, unless your particular F500 has a dedicated in-house dept for certain issues, which not all F500 do.

None of this is to dissuade you from applying, but it is something you should be aware of before heading down the path of a legal career.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:26 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:57 pm
cookiemonster wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
You’re chasing the wrong profession then. The vast majority of lawyers top out at like 250k. I don’t understand your assertion that business careers aren’t that defined. If you get into a decent B school (like around top 15) and gun for IB you will probably get it and gives you a better platform for C-suite position long term (which has only one seat for lawyers as GC).
Big law associates be making 340k +100k in bonus after 8 years at those V10 firms, who’s the vast majority you’re referring too? To get into those top 15 schools I need at least a couple years of work experience (which I currently have 0 of). Gaining work experience is more years I’ll spend making far less than 190k. I can go to law school right now on full rides to some top schools and just vibe it out in Biglaw and maybe eventually move into an F500. Either way I’ll spend a lot of time making a lot of money in Law, the same can’t be said for sure in business.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:31 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:00 pm
You get squeezed out of biglaw after 8 years anyway so it's a good way to bank money but it's not a good way to guarantee wealth. you'll still have a comfortable life in your exit options but all of them, including exiting to F500 as an AGC is going to involve a paycut.

Just to humor your question of "is it faster?" look at these timelines:

Straight to B-school:
-> 2 years in B school
-> Start as a junior exec with a chance to make it to an executive VP

Delayed B-school
-> 2-3 years as an analyst/consultant
-> 2 years B-school
-> Junior exec with a chance of making to an executive VP position

KJD at HYSCCN
-> 3 years of law school
-> 2-5 years as an associate (2, and even 3 is rare)
-> AGC at F500 with a chance to one day make it as GC

There's no meaningful way to say whether business school is a "faster" route to the top.

Pros of B-school:
- wider range of subject material to work on
- wider range of opportunities to be promoted into
- 1 less year of tuition/CoL expenditure
- not law*

Pros of Law School
- Biglaw paycheck for 2-5 years
- Undergrad is less of a factor. Though some law jobs are still sensitive to the prestige of your undergrad, business is more so (not just the school, but your major/program e.g. Wharton).

*law is a boring slog. i have a friend at a F500 without a business school degree, but is 2ish levels below an senior level position who does M&A. he does the "cool" stuff like negotiations and actually makes decisions re: deals. the attorneys just put the terms into writing, proofread, and inform the businesspeople of the risks - and that's outside counsel. in-house counsel is even further removed from the business side, unless your particular F500 has a dedicated in-house dept for certain issues, which not all F500 do.

None of this is to dissuade you from applying, but it is something you should be aware of before heading down the path of a legal career.
This is very interesting, however I’m curious, what business schools take students with 0 WE? Genuine question as I was under the assumption that the top Business schools required at least some work experience.

I may have been incorrect in saying that law is the fastest route, that was probably an exaggeration, but it sure seems like the most profitable even if it’ll take a while.

Either way, I have no work experience, but I do have a banger LSAT and GPA combo. Feels like using it now would be the best plan.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:38 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:26 pm
heythatslife wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Big law associates be making 340k +100k in bonus after 8 years at those V10 firms, who’s the vast majority you’re referring too? To get into those top 15 schools I need at least a couple years of work experience (which I currently have 0 of). Gaining work experience is more years I’ll spend making far less than 190k. I can go to law school right now on full rides to some top schools and just vibe it out in Biglaw and maybe eventually move into an F500. Either way I’ll spend a lot of time making a lot of money in Law, the same can’t be said for sure in business.
You do realize that the proportion of biglaw associates who make it to year 8 is so small as to make those salaries meaningless to calculating your long-term earning potential, right?

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:47 pm

Stranger wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:38 pm
cookiemonster wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:26 pm
heythatslife wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
You do realize that the proportion of biglaw associates who make it to year 8 is so small as to make those salaries meaningless to calculating your long-term earning potential, right?
Those year 8 ppls built just like me, I’ll be in that proportion.

But either way where’s the top 15 business school that takes mans with 0 WE? I can start doing law right now, if I want to get an MBA down the road I’ll do that then. If I want to add an MBA to my JD I’ll do that too, it seems like I’m in a good position if I just get that JD and get started rn.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:57 pm

- It's the M8, not top 15 b-school
- nobody is "built" for billing 2000+ hrs for 8 years. The workload is to burn ppl out by design.
- you're overweighing the earning potential for your first couple years of your career as a deciding factor.
- if you're applying to law school anyway, just toss apps out to business schools too. You're not precluded from applying to just one grad program over another.

You asked for advice but now are pressing back on what ppl are telling you. It is what it is.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:58 pm

I think if you have the grades to go HYS and don’t really care what you do with your career it’s true that law school’s a fine career choice but like you should be aware that there’s a reason so many lawyers choose to to take 50%+ pay cuts after a few years with a firm. The key to maximizing your wealth during your firm years though is to not be paying off student loans, and if you can do that then law school is a *fine* choice for someone in your shoes.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:17 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:57 pm
- It's the M8, not top 15 b-school
- nobody is "built" for billing 2000+ hrs for 8 years. The workload is to burn ppl out by design.
- you're overweighing the earning potential for your first couple years of your career as a deciding factor.
- if you're applying to law school anyway, just toss apps out to business schools too. You're not precluded from applying to just one grad program over another.

You asked for advice but now are pressing back on what ppl are telling you. It is what it is.
First and foremost, not pressing back, just debating. I find your points interesting and I’ve heard similar ones raised so I completely understand them. I appreciate this discussion and I thank you for participating.

One of the reasons I didn’t go for an MBA is work experience. I genuinely was not aware that top business schools will take students with 0 work experience. Which schools are those? Additionally, to “just toss apps out to some business schools” would I not need a GMAT?

Additionally, I agree I may be overweighing the initial earnings but, while the exit options with Law degrees are limited, there’s still some options even if it is a pay cut. With where I’m at rn (undergrad with 0 WE) and what I have (good GPA and LSAT), this seems like a decent plan for now.

Also the “built different” thing was a meme Lol, I’m sure it’s gonna be a rough ride.
Last edited by cookiemonster on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:19 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:58 pm
I think if you have the grades to go HYS and don’t really care what you do with your career it’s true that law school’s a fine career choice but like you should be aware that there’s a reason so many lawyers choose to to take 50%+ pay cuts after a few years with a firm. The key to maximizing your wealth during your firm years though is to not be paying off student loans, and if you can do that then law school is a *fine* choice for someone in your shoes.
That not paying student loans point makes a lot of sense. I’ll definitely be sure to accept the offer that gives me the cheapest education. Thank you for your insight.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:35 pm

I was curious so I went and looked for some actual numbers on this:

https://www.chambers-associate.com/care ... s-analysis (S&P500, which are a different but similar group of companies, probably a better dataset for what OP is after IMO)
https://www.lawdepartmentmanagementblog ... l-counsel/ (F500, but older data)

If you adjust for HLS's bigger class size, it indeed seems to be a bit stronger than its peers. Texas does really well on this metric. Yale seems thoroughly average by T14 standards. You can't adduce a causal relationship there, since Harvard is more likely to admit people who bear other indicia of one day becoming a hotshot corporate lawyer in the first place.

This isn't worth thinking too hard about when choosing among schools that have objectively great job outcomes. If your main goal is to make a lot of money, then setting money on fire to attend a slightly more prestigious law school is wack. You'd be better off, in terms of ROI, taking the scholarship at a different T13 school and then spending that $150-200k on lotto tickets. And if you can think of even better alternatives to lotto tickets, then you're really cooking with gas.

Nony

Post by Nony » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:36 pm

The above makes sense. I think it’s at least in part because so many people who go to Yale are interested in (and can more easily get) other kinds of jobs (rather than that Yale hurts your chances at these kinds of jobs). I can see that at some point that becomes a self-perpetuating kind of phenomenon though.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:55 pm

it's just a derivation of the classic "CLS places better in biglaw" fallacy where HYS grads self-selectively clerk, go into academia, other unicorn-y JD-preferred jobs.

and anecdotally for GC job postings, they all require 10-15+ years experience. i'm not sure non-law c-suite positions have a hard years requisite for their positions. that means you're grinding it out 5 years as an associate, and putting in another 5-10 as an AGC before you're even eligible for those positions. p sure there was someone who posted recently that they interviewed for an AGC position that advertised for 10+ years experience, gave him an interview, and told him flat out that while he was qualified, they wouldn't be able to hire him because he didn't check that particular box.

my friend is interviewing w FB right now and she has 8 years experience, 5 as AGC with a different org, and she's worried she won't get the AGC position bc the posting said 10+ years experience.

tl;dr, the best laid plans of saying "i'll be able to bank x from 2025-2030, then transition to AGC and bank x, and by 2040 i'll be GC of a F500" is laying out your plans in the best case scenario, where you should look at the possible outcomes for median, and worst-case scenarios as well, and make your decision accordingly.

like, would you be happy making low 100's as an AGC for a career, because not everyone gets to be GC as a matter of right. there will always be people who are better connected, have better credentials, and there are only 500 F500 GC job openings, and ppl who get slotted into those jobs usually stay here for a WHILE.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:53 pm

icechicken wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:35 pm
I was curious so I went and looked for some actual numbers on this:

https://www.chambers-associate.com/care ... s-analysis (S&P500, which are a different but similar group of companies, probably a better dataset for what OP is after IMO)
https://www.lawdepartmentmanagementblog ... l-counsel/ (F500, but older data)

If you adjust for HLS's bigger class size, it indeed seems to be a bit stronger than its peers. Texas does really well on this metric. Yale seems thoroughly average by T14 standards. You can't adduce a causal relationship there, since Harvard is more likely to admit people who bear other indicia of one day becoming a hotshot corporate lawyer in the first place.

This isn't worth thinking too hard about when choosing among schools that have objectively great job outcomes. If your main goal is to make a lot of money, then setting money on fire to attend a slightly more prestigious law school is wack. You'd be better off, in terms of ROI, taking the scholarship at a different T13 school and then spending that $150-200k on lotto tickets. And if you can think of even better alternatives to lotto tickets, then you're really cooking with gas.
This data’s very interesting, thank you for providing it. I also agree with you 100%, hoping for a full ride out of this cycle, but figured if my worst case scenario was H or Y on need based assistance I wanted to know which would be the better choice. Thank you for your help!

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:00 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:55 pm
it's just a derivation of the classic "CLS places better in biglaw" fallacy where HYS grads self-selectively clerk, go into academia, other unicorn-y JD-preferred jobs.

and anecdotally for GC job postings, they all require 10-15+ years experience. i'm not sure non-law c-suite positions have a hard years requisite for their positions. that means you're grinding it out 5 years as an associate, and putting in another 5-10 as an AGC before you're even eligible for those positions. p sure there was someone who posted recently that they interviewed for an AGC position that advertised for 10+ years experience, gave him an interview, and told him flat out that while he was qualified, they wouldn't be able to hire him because he didn't check that particular box.

my friend is interviewing w FB right now and she has 8 years experience, 5 as AGC with a different org, and she's worried she won't get the AGC position bc the posting said 10+ years experience.

tl;dr, the best laid plans of saying "i'll be able to bank x from 2025-2030, then transition to AGC and bank x, and by 2040 i'll be GC of a F500" is laying out your plans in the best case scenario, where you should look at the possible outcomes for median, and worst-case scenarios as well, and make your decision accordingly.

like, would you be happy making low 100's as an AGC for a career, because not everyone gets to be GC as a matter of right. there will always be people who are better connected, have better credentials, and there are only 500 F500 GC job openings, and ppl who get slotted into those jobs usually stay here for a WHILE.
Fascinating, I was not aware of the year requirements for experience to get a GC position, thank you for informing me. Low 100s is a lot of money though, more than anyone I’ve grown up with made annually their entire career. Making that much with the possibly of making a lot more in the future isn’t necessarily that bad, at least from my POV.

I assume you’re saying that the better option for more is to just get an MBA and go that route. But idk I feel that if I land a full ride this cycle I won’t have lost out on the opportunity to take that route, and might end up in a pretty good place whether I decide to go that route or not down the road. I’m very young, there’s space for error, a free JD doesn’t seem like an error at this point.

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:01 pm

Nony wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:36 pm
The above makes sense. I think it’s at least in part because so many people who go to Yale are interested in (and can more easily get) other kinds of jobs (rather than that Yale hurts your chances at these kinds of jobs). I can see that at some point that becomes a self-perpetuating kind of phenomenon though.
I agree with you very strongly. While Yale’s everyone’s dream school, I guess if I got in it still wouldn’t be the best option for someone with my goals. Would be wild to be in a position to turn down Yale, but I guess you gotta get over the name and think about what’s best for your future. Thank you for your insight!

Story

Post by Story » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 pm

How set are you on your goals? Any chance they will change? Do you want to keep your options open?

Let us know once you get your real options after applying.