Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.

Would you attend the school in this situation?

No—I'm willing to pay more to study what I'm interested in.
33%
Yes—course offerings don't matter anyway.
67%

Total votes: 12

LastLSAT

Post by LastLSAT » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:26 am

Last edited by LastLSAT on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emkay625

Re: How much do curricular focus areas/specialties factor into your school choice?

Post by emkay625 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 am

LastLSAT wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:26 am
Would you go to a law school that has nothing to offer in your areas of interest if it was $0 cost of attendance? I mean absolutely NO courses, clinics, or externships offered in your preferred legal specialty.

Granted, the school does place well into your preferred geographic location.

I am finding myself in this position currently, and it is not a very fun decision to make...Any one else facing a similar dilemma?
What is the specialty, and what is the school? (Also, what are your other options?)

Nony

Re: How much do curricular focus areas/specialties factor into your school choice?

Post by Nony » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 am

LastLSAT wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:26 am
I mean absolutely NO courses, clinics, or externships offered in your preferred legal specialty.
If this is truly the case I'm not sure the preferred legal specialty is either 1) a viable career path or 2) actually requires specialized training. You're going to have to say what the specialty is.

Edit: if you're talking about WUSTL and being counsel for a research hospital, there are going to be plenty of offerings relevant to that job.

LastLSAT

Post by LastLSAT » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:53 am

Last edited by LastLSAT on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Yeah, general discussion about this is hard because it's going to be entirely contingent on the specifics of a given person's options, not something that can be answered in a vacuum.

If I had to answer in a vacuum, though, I'd say no, the curricular offerings aren't worth paying more, because law is a generalists degree. Your first year will be filled (for the most part) with mandatory courses, and there are going to be enough courses in the next 2 years that are applicable to any kind of practice that you're not screwing yourself over to pass on the shiny course offerings. I do think you screw yourself over if you take on a lot of debt.

If you're talking about two options with relatively similar debt loads, or whether it's worth paying some moderate amount more, etc., it again comes down to the specific situation. There may be some situations where a person absolutely needs training in a very specific area of law and the JD absolutely won't get them where they want to be without that training, but I think they are few and far between.

Beyond that I think the question tends to be a disguised variation on the "how much would you pay for better job opportunities" question, or the sort of "T14 at sticker or T30 [or whatever] for free" question. Because the number of course offerings/clinics/programs offered tends to correlate with ranking/national reach. So if it became something like Chicago at sticker v. WUSTL for free, there may well be arguments for going to Chicago (that kind of thing gets debated here a lot), but it's not purely because the curricular offerings are better.

sev

Post by sev » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:29 am

You can always start a clinic/trailblaze a bit? I’m sure there are professors with experience in your area of interest and it’s possible you could work with them to start something.