GULC students & grads taking questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Sash

Re: GULC students & grads taking questions

Post by Sash » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:41 pm

Hand wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:26 pm
Ask for a full ride. Happy to PM you what I sent.
Can you PM me too please (:

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Can you explain how the combined merit and need based financial aid packages work? Would summer employment reduce your aid? I am looking at the k150 opportunity scholarship. I can’t find the terms online and no clear answer from the school.

Hand

Post by Hand » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:34 am

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 pm
Can you explain how the combined merit and need based financial aid packages work? Would summer employment reduce your aid? I am looking at the k150 opportunity scholarship. I can’t find the terms online and no clear answer from the school.
I had a combined merit & need based package--the amount was guaranteed for three years so summer employment did not affect it; the only thing that changed was the proportion of need vs merit

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Hand wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:34 am
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
I had a combined merit & need based package--the amount was guaranteed for three years so summer employment did not affect it; the only thing that changed was the proportion of need vs merit
If the proportion of need changed because you are earning income, are they assigning the difference to the merit package? I don’t understand how one will still be awarded the whole package if part of it is influenced by the amount earned. Can you clarify please? I will make choice to find out if the aid is guaranteed.

Hand

Post by Hand » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:06 pm

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:15 pm
Hand wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:34 am
NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
If the proportion of need changed because you are earning income, are they assigning the difference to the merit package? I don’t understand how one will still be awarded the whole package if part of it is influenced by the amount earned. Can you clarify please? I will make choice to find out if the aid is guaranteed.
the total amount was guaranteed, I just got more merit when my need-based aid decreased, so say in year 1 it was say 25k in need and 25k in merit but in year three it was 15k in need and 35k in merit, but it was always 50k/year

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:33 pm

it just affects what pool of money your aid comes from

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:48 pm

Thank you all very much!

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:27 am

If you took money at GT over CCN, do you have any regrets? Do you feel any difference in the way either law firms or feds employers perceive GT vs. CCN applicants?

Hand

Post by Hand » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:54 am

NeverEverGiveUp wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:27 am
If you took money at GT over CCN, do you have any regrets? Do you feel any difference in the way either law firms or feds employers perceive GT vs. CCN applicants?
I turn down all three of CCN and have no regrets now as I got the kind of job that I wanted right out. If things had not worked out as well as they did for me I'd probably have felt regret. But there's no guarantees if you go to one of CCN either. You'll need to work harder to get attractive gigs when you go to GULC instead of CCN, as many employers (not just big law, but also fed gov, etc.) will likely give applicants coming from the latter more leeway with respect to their grades & interview performances.

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:06 pm

I appreciate your candor. Did you only feel at ease toward the end e.g. after passing the bar or were you able to get into internships you desired throughout law school? I have gotten the sense from students that they indeed felt a bit more pressure to perform at GT. I was shocked to see a few Asian fellows turn down near full scholarship for a T10 at half that amount citing need to secure biglaw for immigration purposes. I don’t know if Public interest gunners feel differently with a good financial package.

Gray

Post by Gray » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 pm

I didn't have the uGPA for CCN but I did I get the exact unicorn job I wanted out of GULC, and got to do basically everything I was hoping to do while in school. Public interest jobs I think are more about doing ~all the things~ in the niche you are interested (on top of good grades, more or less), and DC makes that relatively easy. anecdotally, there are ppl from far lower ranked schools in my non-DOJ fedgov honors program, so in terms of rank and prestige I'm not sure there's as much difference between CCN and GULC in government as there is in law firm hiring. I think it matters a bit more to DOJ, but still not as much as it does to firms.

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:55 am

thanks! that makes sense.

uscg26

Post by uscg26 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:05 pm

If you have a realistic gov/PI ambition you should be able to do it (though not necessarily the *fancy* version of it) from GULC if you are strategic and work hard. I think that advice probably holds true for big law as well, although I wouldn't feel comfortable choosing GULC for big law over any T13 with ballpark-comparable $.

I think the flipside of the gov/PI thing is that while there are a lot of niche fields you can dive deeper into here than most other law schools due to the size of the school and the location, you can also pigeonhole yourself. At Cornell, say, you can do all the things and say "I did all the things you can do at Cornell" when marketing yourself to that niche, while also having a resume and transcript that you can pass off to other employers without raising red flags. That might be valuable if your interests or circumstances change. GULC worked out great for me on its end but I do regret not going to a different school for this reason.

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:11 pm

uscg26 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:05 pm
If you have a realistic gov/PI ambition you should be able to do it (though not necessarily the *fancy* version of it) from GULC if you are strategic and work hard. I think that advice probably holds true for big law as well, although I wouldn't feel comfortable choosing GULC for big law over any T13 with ballpark-comparable $.

I think the flipside of the gov/PI thing is that while there are a lot of niche fields you can dive deeper into here than most other law schools due to the size of the school and the location, you can also pigeonhole yourself. At Cornell, say, you can do all the things and say "I did all the things you can do at Cornell" when marketing yourself to that niche, while also having a resume and transcript that you can pass off to other employers without raising red flags. That might be valuable if your interests or circumstances change. GULC worked out great for me on its end but I do regret not going to a different school for this reason.
thanks for your input. Can you please clarify? You do regret not going to a different school for what reasons? Also how much more would you have been open to pay for CCN if given the chance? I do believe that one can be equally successful from GULC and with extra money it can be a better option. But how much harder one has to work is what I am truing to gauge.

uscg26

Post by uscg26 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Money was no object to me (I was PSLF/LRAP bound), so I can't give an informed answer on the money thing. At any rate that's just a personal choice - you can run the numbers and make a calculation to your own personal debt/risk tolerance.

I'm not a biglaw guy, but I'm pretty confident that unless you have pretty bad grades you can get biglaw from GULC if you bid wisely, play ties/markets well, practice interviewing until you've got it down, and network. (Of course, you can get it without doing any of that, depending on your grades, personality, connections etc.) Do you need to do all that to be confident of landing market-paying biglaw at CCN? No idea.
If you're into PI/gov, the hustle level should be pretty much the same. It's just easier and easier to go deeper at GULC because everything's here.
Academically, you should be doing pretty much the same thing anywhere you go.

NeverEverGiveUp

Post by NeverEverGiveUp » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:47 pm

uscg26 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 pm
Money was no object to me (I was PSLF/LRAP bound), so I can't give an informed answer on the money thing. At any rate that's just a personal choice - you can run the numbers and make a calculation to your own personal debt/risk tolerance.

I'm not a biglaw guy, but I'm pretty confident that unless you have pretty bad grades you can get biglaw from GULC if you bid wisely, play ties/markets well, practice interviewing until you've got it down, and network. (Of course, you can get it without doing any of that, depending on your grades, personality, connections etc.) Do you need to do all that to be confident of landing market-paying biglaw at CCN? No idea.
If you're into PI/gov, the hustle level should be pretty much the same. It's just easier and easier to go deeper at GULC because everything's here.
Academically, you should be doing pretty much the same thing anywhere you go.
thanks! I appreciate.

Darth Jar Jar

Post by Darth Jar Jar » Thu May 16, 2019 5:22 pm

How difficult is it to stay in DC if you're interested in biglaw? I've lived in DC for a while and plan on applying ED to GULC. It would really suck to have to spend a few years in NYC.

This might have been asked earlier, but I'm curious about what people think ITE.

uscg26

Post by uscg26 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:41 pm

IIRC on average the average GULC hire's GPA is like .1 higher for firms' DC offices vs NYC (so the average GULC hire at X firm's DC office has a 3.5 but only a 3.4 in NY). That's a big generalization. The bigger issue is just that there's so many fewer spots in DC.

mwells56

Post by mwells56 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am

bored rising 2L ~median if anybody has questions