Yale v. NYU - PI, Financial, COVID Considerations

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
cousinvinny13

Yale v. NYU - PI, Financial, COVID Considerations

Post by cousinvinny13 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:14 am

If you will humor me, I was hoping I could get your input on a “what are my chances” as well as school scenario match up. I am applying in the fall, so I know this is putting the cart before the horse and my come off as presumptuous or bad luck. The thing is that this is not just my decision; my partner is matching to a residency program and needs to know where to target for away rotations, develop connections, apply, and ultimately how to rank match choices in a way that maximizes our chances of being in the same place and getting our top choices of schools/programs. So the planning starts now.

I have matched up my (tentative) top two choices - Yale and NYU - under two different financial situations and two different COVID situations. I’m very worried about the pandemic devaluing my education/training and taking away opportunity to learn from peers and develop relationships. (These are my top choices based on geography and strong PI program. If you think I should consider others, feel free to mention).

What do you think are my chances of getting into these schools/programs, and if you had the choice between both, which would you choose?

About me:
-LSAT: 180
-Undergrad: HYS, UGPA 3.92
-Post-grad: Grad degree (policy), several years public interest experience
-URM: No
-Career goals: PI impact litigation, politics. Wouldn't do Big Law with a gun to my head.

Scenario 1: Yale (full sticker price, LRAP) vs. NYU (Full ride, Root-Tilden PI Program)
-1A: COVID is under control and in-person classes resume 
-1B: COVID is not under control and classes and clinics are mostly/entirely online. 

Scenario 2: Yale (financial aid/external fundraising = minimal debt) vs. NYU (Full ride, Root-Tilden PI Program)
-2A: COVID is under control and in-person classes resume 
-2B: COVID is not under control and classes and clinics are mostly/entirely online. 

You all probably know this, but the Root-Tilden program is not just a scholarship, but also a cohort of PI students and special curriculum/clinics. In Scenario 2, I'm basically asking you to ignore financial considerations and compare the strength of the PI programs and career opportunities, accounting for the COVID impact. If I got into both schools but didn't get Root-Tilden, I'd probably lean Yale.

Thanks

pancakes3

Re: Yale v. NYU - PI, Financial, COVID Considerations

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:27 pm

yale

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:16 pm

Yale with COAP for someone all-in on PI or really anything is almost always the right call. That said, the prospect of full boat & COAP scares the bejeezus out of me personally, even if it scares me much less than other LRAPs & PI outcomes.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:36 pm

I'd also go Yale here, and plan on staying inside the LRAP envelope, but RTK is a legit alternative and it might be easier for your partner to target Manhattan/NYC generally than New Haven. It just seems easier to target impact lit from YLS. COVID is kind of a wash since it affects both places and is hard to weigh anyway.

It sounds like you should strongly consider applying next year, which would cleanly sidestep the pandemic-related uncertainty of the coming months as well as the geographic uncertainty around your partner's residency.