Harvard Law admit considering deferral option

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
JennaSayKwah

Harvard Law admit considering deferral option

Post by JennaSayKwah » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:07 pm

I don't see any posts on this on the forum, so apologies if I'm just missing active post(s) on this subject.

With HLS announcing that all classes will be online this fall (and apparently no potential for them to re-evaluate), I'm interested in any opinions as to the value, short comings, possible advantages of conducting my 1L year "at Harvard" online; verses taking the deferral option and waiting to attend in Cambridge... like the other few hundred first year classes before mine.

North

Re: Harvard Law admit considering deferral option

Post by North » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:12 pm

i would probably defer tbh

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:14 pm

I wouldn’t defer unless you actually have something productive to do with your time. Do you already have a career?

I deferred, and it was a complete waste of time. I wouldn’t go as far as to say I regret it, but I certainly would not recommend spending a year fucking around at a job that makes 30k/year.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:47 pm

The camaraderie of 1L sections is about the only thing that I think of that you’d miss out on. It’s nice, but I don’t think worth deferring for a year if you don’t have something productive lined up to fill the gap. Even if Fall ‘20 (and potentially Spring ‘21) is conducted online, you’ll still be in Cambridge for 2-2.5 years.

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:17 am

I'm generally team don't defer/don't always retake, but depending on what you might be able to do -- I think it makes a good amount of sense to defer, especially depending on your goals. If it's just biglaw then I guess it's a wash. But, if you want to clerk (how will you manage to develop any relationships with profs or even RA spring 1L to get strong letters of rec), or if you want to do public interest work--networking and being in-person for pro bono opportunities and summer jobs is hugely important--make a socially distant experience not worth it. If you can defer and do something productive and not go crazy, then it's probably worth it career-wise depending on what you want to do.

JennaSayKwah

Post by JennaSayKwah » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:09 pm

Thank you for these thoughtful replies! I have spoken with about a dozen practicing attorneys, law professors, and current law students -- including HLS alums/students -- and it's so nice to get additional data points here.

HLS has extended the deferral decision deadline through this weekend -- would love to hear any additional opinions specific to the merits/drawbacks of potentially doing my 1L fall and or year online. Ps Covid SUCKS... you heard it here first!