LLM in tax first, JD second

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Ulyssescat5

LLM in tax first, JD second

Post by Ulyssescat5 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:16 am

For international students with foreign law degrees, does it make sense to take up an LLM in tax first then a JD second?

DOT

Re: LLM in tax first, JD second

Post by DOT » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:24 am

Ulyssescat5 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:16 am
For international students with foreign law degrees, does it make sense to take up an LLM in tax first then a JD second?
What would the prospective student's goals be?

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:40 am

i thought int'l atty's don't need a JD to practice, just a "law degree" = LLM. LLM>JD bc of grading/shorter.

64Fl

Post by 64Fl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:59 am

pancakes3 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:40 am
i thought int'l atty's don't need a JD to practice, just a "law degree" = LLM. LLM>JD bc of grading/shorter.
They don't. An LLM is sufficient, but the job prospects are significantly worse.

OP, if you're going to do a JD anyway, I'd just do a JD first. If you go to a T13, there's a very good chance your JD will be enough to get you in the door at a big firm. Once you're there, have them pay for your Tax LLM. Worst case scenario, you don't land a gig out of the T13, and the LLM gives you a second bite at the apple with a T13 background.

Ulyssescat5

Post by Ulyssescat5 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:26 pm

64Fl wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:59 am
pancakes3 wrote:
They don't. An LLM is sufficient, but the job prospects are significantly worse.

OP, if you're going to do a JD anyway, I'd just do a JD first. If you go to a T13, there's a very good chance your JD will be enough to get you in the door at a big firm. Once you're there, have them pay for your Tax LLM. Worst case scenario, you don't land a gig out of the T13, and the LLM gives you a second bite at the apple with a T13 background.
If the foreign-trained lawyer took the LLM in tax first and had great grades, do you think her chances of getting to a T13 JD school will go up or not?

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Ulyssescat5 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:26 pm
64Fl wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

If the foreign-trained lawyer took the LLM in tax first and had great grades, do you think her chances of getting to a T13 JD school will go up or not?
Any effect it has would be dominated by the impact of one's LSAT score (and undergraduate GPA, if reportable) so it's not really worth weighing.

64Fl

Post by 64Fl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:56 pm

Ulyssescat5 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:26 pm

As chicken has said, your LSAT+GPA Rating is 95% of the game. Maybe your good grades help if you're right on the border, but they will not overcome an insufficient LSAT+GPA Rating. Also, you can not assume that you will get great grades. Tax LLM classes have a curve and can be quite difficult, especially for someone with no U.S. tax background, let alone any U.S. legal training.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:02 am

64Fl wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

Agree with this analysis. Also, as 64FL rightly pointed out, tax LLM courses are more highly specialized than regular LLM curriculums and assumes you’ve taken fed income tax and business tax (including partnership tax) at a minimum. Partnership tax is not something I would recommend anyone try to learn on their own.