American (sticker), CUA ($$$)

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Darth Jar Jar

American (sticker), CUA ($$$)

Post by Darth Jar Jar » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Completely flubbed the LSAT and am deciding between:

American (sticker)

or

Catholic ($$$)

I would love to retake but my job is all-consuming. I'd also love to find another job but I'm not sure what, if any, jobs will exist in ~2 months. Months of applying/interviewing before the pandemic did not lead anywhere.

Thoughts??

Goals: modest 9-5 ish, ideally something related to public service (defense, legal aid, GC office at an agency, etc.).

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: American (sticker), CUA ($$$)

Post by ymmv » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Of the two, Catholic, assuming "$$$" means something close to a full ride. I'm guessing you know the regional job prospects from either school are going to be pretty dire, particularly in the wake of what might turn out to be a Second Great Depression?

This doesn't seem like a wonderful time to be leaving a stable job for the crapshoot career offerings of law school (and a great deal of debt / lost earnings) unless you really hate what you're doing now or are unable to make a real living at it.

Darth Jar Jar

Post by Darth Jar Jar » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Sticker vs full ride, yes. I don't have the time/opportunity to delay another year. My current job is somewhat stable but I'm looking to get out of the business entirely.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:26 pm

even with $$$, you'll still have $60-80k in living expense debt that won't be easily serviceable with a $40-60k job, and a $40-60k job is the glass-half-full outcome.

really should retake.

Darth Jar Jar

Post by Darth Jar Jar » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:27 pm

I've thrown thousands into test prep but still scored poorly. I think these are my best options.

Catholic it is, thanks :)

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:28 pm

Catholic is the less financially risky option, and considering you're dead set on getting out now (which I don't think you should be, but I won't pretend that I can dissuade you from the idea because this is such a bad time to try a career transition), you're better off with this option. American at sticker would be a potentially ruinous decision, as opposed to just a potentially sad or difficult decision.

I think your goals are modest enough if you are willing to move out of DC for jobs in local gov't orgs and small time work, but if you're not, then really neither is a good decision, and I can't stress enough that I legitimately believe you're making a very bad decision either way.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Either school, in this economy, creates a real risk of chronic unemployment after you graduate. Catholic is a defensible choice if you can keep your debt below $50-60k or so (i.e., you can live with your parents or an SO or otherwise cut living expenses to the bone) and you're devoted to public service.

I hate to be pessimistic but you should strongly consider holding pat this year and improving your options. Six-figure debt will suck just like a tough job - but you can't ever quit the former.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Think it over a bit more before you decide to go to Catholic. Do you have a conditional scholarship? Are you comfortable going to a school where 9 months after graduation, only 57.7% of grads had a long-term, full-time legal job? Are you 100% set on staying in the DMV area, and also okay with losing out on most of your dream jobs in DC/VA to T6 and local grads who were in the top of their classes?

I would honestly say to stay in your current job and keep throwing out applications to other positions. Later on you can retake the LSAT (maybe you need a different prep course if the one you took wasn't working for you) and then consider reapplying to law school, if you're dead-set on becoming a lawyer.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Yeah, the appeal of either of those options is minimal. You said you flubbed the LSAT, and that's entirely possible, but you didn't say how many times you took it. If you didn't retake at least once, I'd say that's the best option, followed by Catholic (but as Slytherpuff hinted at, assuming it's not a conditional scholarship). If it's a conditional scholarship, neither of these is a reasonable option.

Darth Jar Jar

Post by Darth Jar Jar » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:42 pm

Updated to add that y'all have convinced me to retake. I have a lot more time to study now and have been making some incremental gains, which is encouraging. I should have mentioned that I applied this cycle but withdrew, so going through the process again is going to suck. I also shouldn't place so much blame on my job which I love (it's complicated).

We're growing up and developing a healthy outlook, 2020 might not be a total trainwreck after all! :)

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 pm

awesome. good for you, man.

BlendedUnicorn
Hardening Democrat

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:21 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 pm
awesome. good for you, man.

Stranger