UChicago Students and Grads Taking Questions and providing positive externalities

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
archipm

Re: UChicago Students and Grads Taking Questions and providing positive externalities

Post by archipm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:40 pm

HydePark wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:27 pm
Is there any way for law students to learn some real economics at the Law School without knowing calculus beforehand? I know you can take economics classes across the Midway, but I’m not sure if you can take the calculus that’s prereq to classes in the ECON dept. Maybe the economics sequence at Harris, which doesn’t have a MATH 15300 prereq?

Not sure I’d want to do this anyway because economics is hard and time-intensive, but I’m curious if it’s even possible.
this is not a real answer to what you're asking but I am pretty sure you can audit (unofficially) any class you want across the midway if the prof says ok. might be a lower pressure way for you to do this.

Appellate_Litigator

Re: UChicago Students and Grads Taking Questions and providing positive externalities

Post by Appellate_Litigator » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:07 pm

Anyone got tips on how to find/select a study group?

necho2

Post by necho2 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Antitrust (Picker) or Corp Tax (Weisbach) if goal is good grades for less work? Comfortable w/ both tax and Law/Econ...

beep

Post by beep » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Picker's antitrust class felt reasonably forgiving and fairly graded. I found Picker to be an entertaining lecturer though I know others felt differently. That said it's more of a 2L class so may not benefit as much from 3Ls 3LOLing. Hard to compare as I didn't take corp tax.

Skers

Post by Skers » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:41 pm

Definitely Antitrust. Picker is also really awesome.

beep

Post by beep » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:50 pm

I have some actually pretty serious reservations about Picker but can't say more on here. But PM me if you're considering asking him for a reference, using him for independent study/journal comment/etc. Doesn't diminish having enjoyed his class(es) quite a bit, especially his seminars.