UChicago Students and Grads Taking Questions and providing positive externalities

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
David Lean

Re: UChicago Students and Grads Taking Questions and providing positive externalities

Post by David Lean » Mon May 21, 2018 10:58 pm

If that’s the case high GPA weirdos never have a hard time at OCI!

beep

Re: UChicago Students and Grads Taking Questions and providing positive externalities

Post by beep » Mon May 21, 2018 11:04 pm

i mean i turned out ok

not to dispute the overall point, though. Attitude/entitlement/etc is a pretty quick way to not get an offer at my firm and presumably most.

necho2

Post by necho2 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Yeah clerkships before spring grades definitely happened for at least a couple of people my year, and I'm pretty sure Strahilevitz was involved...

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Mon May 21, 2018 11:37 pm

David Lean wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:29 pm
Now I’m thinking you don’t even go to this school.
Lol. Yeah im weird enough to get a clerkship and will be weird enough to do fine at oci. Also weird enough that teachers wrote me letters. :lol: But not weird enough to be cool with unnecessarily annoying comments that did not answer my question.

David Lean

Post by David Lean » Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 pm

I’ll stop engaging now.

archipm

Post by archipm » Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 pm

i just want to say in case future posters/lurkers reading this have related questions that my suggestion that he ask the registrar was genuine. she and her staff are super friendly and helpful, they calculate people's GPAs for their job, and they constantly encourage students to reach out if they have questions about how any of the grading/bidding/registration systems work.

i have no idea how that suggestion indicates being "entitled and out of touch." if anything i think it is entitled and out of touch to demand random lawyers get out their old transcripts and do math for you when you have such a clear resource readily available to definitively answer your questions.

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Mon May 21, 2018 11:49 pm

Oh come on your first response was “Rajon didn’t read closely enough.” And I made no demands. I asked only if they had the time or wanted to. But yeah I’m the entitled asshole.

Therm

Post by Therm » Tue May 22, 2018 4:30 pm

beep wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 pm
I'll say out of my law school friend group of like... 15ish people, with varying degrees of overlap / sub-cliques and stuff, that 2 struck out. It wasn't a secret or anything. There is a lot of hanging out in Booth during OCI, so if you are friends with people you see them there. And then there is going out to the pub and stuff after it's all wrapped up, so you hear what happened to people if you are reasonably close. It was more of a like "dang, that sucks man, sorry, how's the job hunt going" than a stigma, or so I felt from the outside at least, but maybe it felt more ostracizing being on the other side. I hope not, at least when it came to interacting with friends.

One was medianish I think?, the other was below median. I agree strongly with zhenders that it was a combination of factors all coming together, including -- primarily -- what markets they targeted. Both ended up fine by graduation; one is in biglaw now after getting a second bite at the apple, and I have sort of fallen out of contact with the other but if I remember correctly they ended up reasonably employed in a secondary.

Out of the rest: 4 were PI-focused from the get go and are working in PI now, with varying degrees of "this is the precise PI thing that I wanted to be doing." 1 is in legal academia like we all knew would happen. The other 8ish are all in biglaw, though one left in his first year. Maybe if I talk about him he'll add to this thread and stop being a lounge lizard.
Been reading through and saw this upthread. I'm p sure I am this person. Combo of factors seems right.

I am now happily employed at a boutique in my target city where I work a bit under biglaw hours for a bit under biglaw pay.

Striking out sucks, but it isn't a death knell. I'm happy to talk via PM with anyone struggling, etc. The alumni network is real and I received tons of advice and insight from people when I was a student and I try to do my best to pass it along (to the extent I can, which is arguable).

Fox

Post by Fox » Tue May 22, 2018 7:36 pm

I've heard through the grapevine that there is a current 1L who has a clerkship lined up for 2020 - not going say anything online that'd identify him/her though.

Also, I'm not sure if the school has reached out to any 1Ls to apply for clerkships this year. Unless we're literally talking about 1-2 in the class or purely fedsoc. The hiring plan is making everything really uncertain.

HydePark

Post by HydePark » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:59 pm

How weird would it be to not drink much during school? I'm going to be double Chicago and I've never done much social drinking, as it's not a part of the undergrad culture here. Not sure how big of a deal bar review, wine mess, etc. are. I'm not opposed to drinking, I just can't see myself wanting to go to those sorts of things much.

Also, does anyone know what Kapnick and orientation are like? Is Kapnick as boring and corporate as it sounds?

beep

Post by beep » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Not a big deal. You do you. I don't think I ever went to bar review, though did spend a lot of time at the pub with friends.

I'll say that if you're going planning to do the big firm thing after graduating, a skill worth developing is how to be at social drinking events without drinking. Law school is not the last time you'll be in that situation.

beep

Post by beep » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:15 pm

HydePark wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:59 pm
I've never done much social drinking, as it's not a part of the undergrad culture here.
(Kinda can't let this pass without commenting that we had pretty different UofC undergrad experiences. While I was there, even the snitchcockers did a fair bit of drinking. Some of the best parties I went to were put on by an apartment of giant physics nerds. Depends on the crowds you travel, I guess.)

BlondeFatale

Post by BlondeFatale » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 pm

HydePark wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:59 pm
How weird would it be to not drink much during school?

Also, does anyone know what Kapnick and orientation are like? Is Kapnick as boring and corporate as it sounds?
Definitely not weird to not drink. Plenty of people don’t. I would recommend going to the first wine mess and other free booze events because the majority of your classmates will be there (but there’s never a need to go to the first bar review if you don’t want to because no one’s going to remember it anyway).

Kapnick felt like a necessary evil. It was a great way to get to know classmates by commiserating over the forced bonding. I think it depends on who you facilitator is too. But the following days of orientation were terribly boring and they’re very very strict about attendance. I’d say don’t worry about it until it’s here, and don’t take it too seriously. Use it as a way to get to know folks.

InsertFunnyNameHere

Post by InsertFunnyNameHere » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:50 pm

Can anybody guess or estimate what rank/percentile a 177.725 is?

necho2

Post by necho2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:25 am

InsertFunnyNameHere wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:50 pm
Can anybody guess or estimate what rank/percentile a 177.725 is?
Too close to the median to worry about it. But that's fine for OCI, just bid NY, don't get crazy, and practice interviewing.

minerva

Post by minerva » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 am

Piggybacking off the last post, although I know it's been discussed ad nauseum, does anyone have any sort of idea how the rankings break down? 180+ top 10%? Under 177 bottom 10%? 181+ K&E?

Fox

Post by Fox » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:13 pm

minerva wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 am
Piggybacking off the last post, although I know it's been discussed ad nauseum, does anyone have any sort of idea how the rankings break down? 180+ top 10%? Under 177 bottom 10%? 181+ K&E?
There's a few firms with a 25% callback GPA between 174-175, so I'd imagine that bottom 10% is closer to a 173-4. I might be off by a bit, but there's no way that bottom 10% is anything below 177.

Also, if the LR grade-on cutoff has been 179.5-180 in previous years with 27 grade-on spots, I'd guess that top 10% is somewhere between 180-180.5.

minerva

Post by minerva » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks Fox, that's very helpful! The grades are confusing for both employers and students I suppose :)

gnarly rae jepsen

Post by gnarly rae jepsen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Fox wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:13 pm
minerva wrote:
There's a few firms with a 25% callback GPA between 174-175, so I'd imagine that bottom 10% is closer to a 173-4. I might be off by a bit, but there's no way that bottom 10% is anything below 177.

Also, if the LR grade-on cutoff has been 179.5-180 in previous years with 27 grade-on spots, I'd guess that top 10% is somewhere between 180-180.5.
Does anyone know if the K&E email has come out yet? I think I might be on the line and I'm wondering if others have heard anything. Would it be weird to ask the registrar?

beep

Post by beep » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:43 pm

I have been told that it has gone out already.

Fox

Post by Fox » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:17 pm

gnarly rae jepsen wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:25 pm
Fox wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:13 pm
minerva wrote:

Does anyone know if the K&E email has come out yet? I think I might be on the line and I'm wondering if others have heard anything. Would it be weird to ask the registrar?
The K&E email went out on the 21st. On a similar note, does anyone know if Dean's Awards have gone out yet?

minerva

Post by minerva » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:58 am

No, I don't think so. I was told by a professor to expect one, and have not received notice.

Appellate_Litigator

Post by Appellate_Litigator » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi all,

Incoming 1L here. What books should I read this summer to prepare for law school? I read Getting to Maybe, 1L of a Ride, Learning Legal Reasoning, and I'm starting a contracts supplement now. Anything else I can do to prepare? I really really want to be top 10% so I'm willing to put in whatever work is necessary. =)

beep

Post by beep » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Nothing and probably stop reading the contracts supplement, because it's probably just going to make things more confusing when your professors teach everything from a completely different angle in the fall. There is a reason why the received wisdom is that trying to learn substantive law pre-1L is a fool's errand.

Read some running shoes, a cookbook, and a fun hobby. Good habits to stay healthy and keep yourself relaxed / from going insane pay more dividends.

David Lean

Post by David Lean » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Appellate_Litigator wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 pm
Hi all,

Incoming 1L here. What books should I read this summer to prepare for law school? I read Getting to Maybe, 1L of a Ride, Learning Legal Reasoning, and I'm starting a contracts supplement now. Anything else I can do to prepare? I really really want to be top 10% so I'm willing to put in whatever work is necessary. =)
I would not read anything and not assume hard work/early preparation will get you top 10%.

Like beep said, reading supplements would actively hurt you with some U Chicago professors.