UChicago Students and Grads Taking Questions and providing positive externalities

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
RajonRondark

Re: UChicago Students and Grads Taking Questions and providing positive externalities

Post by RajonRondark » Sat May 19, 2018 11:07 am

How is cumulative GPA calculated? Current 1l trying to run some numbers on what I need to get. Do I just add up all my grades irrespective of credits and average them?

beep

Re: UChicago Students and Grads Taking Questions and providing positive externalities

Post by beep » Sat May 19, 2018 11:46 am

Looking at my own transcript, napkin math suggests that it is credit-weighted. So you'd want to multiple your grades by the number of credits, add that all up, then divide by total credits.

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Sat May 19, 2018 11:58 am

That makes the most sense! Anyone else? The problem is they would be pretty similar even doing it on a napkin. We'd only see significant effects when one took more low credit classes right?

necho2

Post by necho2 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:41 pm

RajonRondark wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:58 am
That makes the most sense! Anyone else? The problem is they would be pretty similar even doing it on a napkin. We'd only see significant effects when one took more low credit classes right?
What do you mean by the "problem"? I'm honestly not sure how you'd calculate GPAs when credits exist without using them, but since we all have 105 to graduate, everyone's in the same boat. I guess maybe if someone took a ton of ungraded Greenbergs- but even that couldn't be more than 5-10 credits worth, right?

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Sat May 19, 2018 12:49 pm

necho2 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:41 pm
RajonRondark wrote:
What do you mean by the "problem"? I'm honestly not sure how you'd calculate GPAs when credits exist without using them, but since we all have 105 to graduate, everyone's in the same boat. I guess maybe if someone took a ton of ungraded Greenbergs- but even that couldn't be more than 5-10 credits worth, right?
Its simple, you calculate average like this: Sum of all grades/# of classes. This eliminates credit weighting. Greenbergs are P/F. Because everyone graduates with the same number of credits and Uchicago is odd, I could see them not weighting credits lmao.

Calculating with credits - for example, a 179 in a 3 credit course vs a 2 credit course would involve different math. It would be: (Grade*# of credits) for each class/# of credits. An easy way to check this is if someone whose graduated with a complete transcript to do sum of all grades/#ofclasses and see if thats how they calculated it!

archipm

Post by archipm » Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 pm

RajonRondark wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:49 pm
An easy way to check this is if someone whose graduated with a complete transcript to do sum of all grades/#ofclasses and see if thats how they calculated it!
this is literally what beep did like 2 posts ago

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Sat May 19, 2018 12:58 pm

archipm wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 pm
RajonRondark wrote:
An easy way to check this is if someone whose graduated with a complete transcript to do sum of all grades/#ofclasses and see if thats how they calculated it!
this is literally what beep did like 2 posts ago
It is not. he did napkin math! jeeze!

necho2

Post by necho2 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:20 pm

RajonRondark wrote:
necho2 wrote:
RajonRondark wrote:
Its simple, you calculate average like this: Sum of all grades/# of classes. This eliminates credit weighting. Greenbergs are P/F. Because everyone graduates with the same number of credits and Uchicago is odd, I could see them not weighting credits lmao.

Calculating with credits - for example, a 179 in a 3 credit course vs a 2 credit course would involve different math. It would be: (Grade*# of credits) for each class/# of credits. An easy way to check this is if someone whose graduated with a complete transcript to do sum of all grades/#ofclasses and see if thats how they calculated it!
I mean sure, you're right that they could just ignore the credits and calculate based on grades/classes, but to my knowledge no schools (grad or undergrad) ignore the credits if they have them included in the transcript... And I still don't get what the "problem" is with there not being much of a difference- shouldn't that be about right if the vast majority of classes are 3 credits, with some 2-credit seminars?

Edit: Ah I see you're a 1L- this really doesn't matter at all since all your classmates have the exact same credit-weighting. I put together a little excel table where I plugged in my and credit-weighted it, but there shouldn't be a substantial difference, and our grades are so detailed that I don't think you could skew things particularly. If you're thinking about OCI- I don't know how law firms do it, but since our transcripts show credits right next to grades, they certainly could credit-weight if they wanted to...

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Sat May 19, 2018 2:25 pm

necho2 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:20 pm
RajonRondark wrote:
necho2 wrote:
RajonRondark wrote:

I mean sure, you're right that they could just ignore the credits and calculate based on grades/classes, but to my knowledge no schools (grad or undergrad) ignore the credits if they have them included in the transcript... And I still don't get what the "problem" is with there not being much of a difference- shouldn't that be about right if the vast majority of classes are 3 credits, with some 2-credit seminars?

Edit: Ah I see you're a 1L- this really doesn't matter at all since all your classmates have the exact same credit-weighting. I put together a little excel table where I plugged in my and credit-weighted it, but there shouldn't be a substantial difference, and our grades are so detailed that I don't think you could skew things particularly. If you're thinking about OCI- I don't know how law firms do it, but since our transcripts show credits right next to grades, they certainly could credit-weight if they wanted to...
Right I guess that goes along with my intuition. There is a fair amount of ambiguity in the student handbook. It literally says cumulative gpa and does not mention credits anywhere else. If any fully graduated person has the time and care to double check this I'd be appreciative!!! thanks everyone

BroilersNotStewers

Post by BroilersNotStewers » Sat May 19, 2018 11:42 pm

RajonRondark wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:25 pm
necho2 wrote:
RajonRondark wrote:
necho2 wrote:
RajonRondark wrote:

Right I guess that goes along with my intuition. There is a fair amount of ambiguity in the student handbook. It literally says cumulative gpa and does not mention credits anywhere else. If any fully graduated person has the time and care to double check this I'd be appreciative!!! thanks everyone
You're being dense dude, cumulative GPAs are weighted by credits. If they were not, there would be no point to having credits at all.

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Sun May 20, 2018 4:03 pm

BroilersNotStewers wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:42 pm
RajonRondark wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:25 pm
necho2 wrote:
RajonRondark wrote:
necho2 wrote:
RajonRondark wrote:

You're being dense dude, cumulative GPAs are weighted by credits. If they were not, there would be no point to having credits at all.
Thanks. That is a really constructive response. Credits could also have the function of ensuring you take a requisite number of educational hours and could have nothing to do with grading. But I guess that is you being dense and not reading my explanation above. 2/5 responses to a simple question have been pointless. Anyone else want to call me dumb? The term cumulative is also ambiguous. But thanks for the non-answer.

archipm

Post by archipm » Sun May 20, 2018 4:16 pm

to the knowledge of everyone who has answered you on here, it is credit-weighted. if you don't believe us and genuinely are very concerned about this just email the registrar or the dean of students or something.

necho2

Post by necho2 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:02 pm

And again- you are a 1L with the exact same # of credits as every other 1L, so this will not effect you for any purposes this year, or really until graduation (or I guess 2L K+E, but I'm not entirely sure how that works...)

But to be clear- I'm pretty damn sure our GPAs are credit-weighted, just like Archie and Beep think.

beep

Post by beep » Sun May 20, 2018 7:36 pm

It could matter for both 1L K&E and LR grade on, eg if OP has higher grades in his multiple credit doctrinal classes vs others with higher grades in LRW (assuming the credits are still arranged how they were for my year). My 1L year I edged out a friend for K&E by like .05-.1 in average GPAs, so it is not impossible for this difference to come into play, though it is likely a smaller effect since you don't have as many credit-amount differences within 1L year as you do in 2L/3L.

Anyway, no reason to be snippy with each other. I did the math on my final transcript and it is credit-weighted. (I am getting like .015 difference from what the university has calculated as my GPA for some unknown reason, but it's about .5 difference if I average without weighting, so the real one is definitely not an unweighted average.)

Fox

Post by Fox » Sun May 20, 2018 8:44 pm

1L GPA to date:

[(2*LRW grade)+(6*Torts grade)+(6*Crim grade)+(3*Elements grade)+(3*Civ Pro grade)]/20.

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Mon May 21, 2018 9:12 pm

archipm wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:16 pm
to the knowledge of everyone who has answered you on here, it is credit-weighted. if you don't believe us and genuinely are very concerned about this just email the registrar or the dean of students or something.
To be clear, I asked if anyone would do the math to confirm because it actually can make a difference. Which someone thankfully did. Its responses like yours that solidify my negative perception of the greater of thw student body. For instance in your first post you directed me to something I had already read and asked a thoughtful follow up question to. But I guess you are right, I should take an ambigious answer as the truth. Because you know “napkin math”. Im consistently surprised by oue employment numbers considering how entitled and out of touch the student body is. Maybe it takes one to know one.

But thanks for your very helpful contribution. Good luck on your finals this week. And thanks for actually confirming Beep.

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Mon May 21, 2018 9:14 pm

beep wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:36 pm
It could matter for both 1L K&E and LR grade on, eg if OP has higher grades in his multiple credit doctrinal classes vs others with higher grades in LRW (assuming the credits are still arranged how they were for my year). My 1L year I edged out a friend for K&E by like .05-.1 in average GPAs, so it is not impossible for this difference to come into play, though it is likely a smaller effect since you don't have as many credit-amount differences within 1L year as you do in 2L/3L.

Anyway, no reason to be snippy with each other. I did the math on my final transcript and it is credit-weighted. (I am getting like .015 difference from what the university has calculated as my GPA for some unknown reason, but it's about .5 difference if I average without weighting, so the real one is definitely not an unweighted average.)

Thank you very much!!!

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon May 21, 2018 10:03 pm

RajonRondark wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:12 pm
archipm wrote:
Im consistently surprised by oue employment numbers considering how entitled and out of touch the student body is. Maybe it takes one to know one.
Right, because it seems like you'd be an absolute delight to have around the office. Keep doing you, man.

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Mon May 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:03 pm
RajonRondark wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:12 pm
archipm wrote:
Im consistently surprised by oue employment numbers considering how entitled and out of touch the student body is. Maybe it takes one to know one.
Right, because it seems like you'd be an absolute delight to have around the office. Keep doing you, man.
Lol. Yeah. Cause I’d really want to work with a group of people who discourage legitimate questions about ambiguous language. That seems like a good model for running a deal. I’m sure that’s how it is at your firm. You don’t ask questions ever.

David Lean

Post by David Lean » Mon May 21, 2018 10:18 pm

I suggest you try to be less strange and off putting before OCI comes.

RajonRondark

Post by RajonRondark » Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks for the advice David. Luckily I have a my clerkship so i am not worried about OCIs or how you or your group of internet buddies get annoyed with my questions. And I didn’t ask about OCI or suggestions on how to interview well. But thanks for more unsolicited advice. Good to know that’s a consistent theme on this forum.

David Lean

Post by David Lean » Mon May 21, 2018 10:27 pm

RajonRondark wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 pm
Thanks for the advice David. Luckily I have a my clerkship so i am not worried about OCIs or how you or your group of internet buddies get annoyed with my questions. And I didn’t ask about OCI or suggestions on how to interview well. But thanks for more unsolicited advice. Good to know that’s a consistent theme on this forum.

You got a post graduation clerkship before you have all of your grades? That’s very impressive.

David Lean

Post by David Lean » Mon May 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Now I’m thinking you don’t even go to this school.

beep

Post by beep » Mon May 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Eh that seems not impossible given how ridiculous things are these days. Wouldn't be surprised to hear about Strahil reaching out to the top of the class after winter quarter to get some early candidates out to judges, especially for the fedsoc pipeline.

That said, rajon, dude. You are named after one of my favorite basketball players but you are being a douche. Recommend chilling.