Duke Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
waveblue1212

Re: Duke Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by waveblue1212 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:05 pm

how easy is it to get a biglaw job in LA from duke if you have no previous ties to the state?

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 pm

thoughts on living in Chapel Hill as a 2L?

heyjude21

Post by heyjude21 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Anyone on here have any feedback on the JD/LLM in international and comparative law? Specifically wondering if getting the LLM would actually be worth it career-wise.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 pm

heyjude21 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:30 pm
Anyone on here have any feedback on the JD/LLM in international and comparative law? Specifically wondering if getting the LLM would actually be worth it career-wise.
probably not worth it, but what do you want to do?

heyjude21

Post by heyjude21 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:44 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 pm
heyjude21 wrote:
My dream would be to work for an international organization or non-profit, but more realistically would not be opposed to working big law for a few years and then hopefully transitioning in-house to a company that has an international presence.

GavelOut

Post by GavelOut » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:05 pm

waveblue1212 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:05 pm
how easy is it to get a biglaw job in LA from duke if you have no previous ties to the state?
Related but kinda opposite, how well does Duke place in LA relative to USC/UCLA? LA local here with deep ties LA/CA.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:42 pm

heyjude21 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:44 pm
proteinshake wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 pm
heyjude21 wrote:
My dream would be to work for an international organization or non-profit, but more realistically would not be opposed to working big law for a few years and then hopefully transitioning in-house to a company that has an international presence.
I think you should contact an upperclassman or LLM alum for an answer to this. I can't really give a knowledgeable answer, and seeing how this forum is new, I doubt anyone else will be able to. however, I'd suspect that a large majority of LLMs here never use their LLM degree.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:45 pm

GavelOut wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:05 pm
waveblue1212 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:05 pm
Related but kinda opposite, how well does Duke place in LA relative to USC/UCLA? LA local here with deep ties LA/CA.
in pure numbers, UCLA/USC is going to have more people go to LA, but that's just because more of their students want to go to LA. if you have deep ties and want LA big law, I would 100% choose Duke over those two. a median student here has a chance at LA big law while that's pretty much out of the picture at UCLA/USC. additionally, if you do end up at below median, you can still get a big law job, while the same can't be said for the other two. that being said, LA is definitely a harder market to go to than NYC by far.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:30 pm

any Duke students here willing to give bid list feedback/advice?

Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 pm

How is Duke's FedSoc? I lean conservative and am interested in joining, but I want to make sure its a professional and respectable organization and not just an obnoxious "lets trigger liberals club" like College Republicans usually is. I've heard that FedSoc can vary widely from school to school, and hopefully Duke has one of the better chapters.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 pm
How is Duke's FedSoc? I lean conservative and am interested in joining, but I want to make sure its a professional and respectable organization and not just an obnoxious "lets trigger liberals club" like College Republicans usually is. I've heard that FedSoc can vary widely from school to school, and hopefully Duke has one of the better chapters.
you will realize Duke is probably the most laid back school of the T13. the most controversial thing that has happened this year is probably that some 1Ls weren’t on their best behavior during a firm reception. FedSoc here is very professional and open to everyone. It probably has the most attended events because they serve Chik-Fil-A and no one is gonna refuse to be friends because you’re in Fed Soc. pretty much all the events feature opposing viewpoints. nothing to worry about!

Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:30 am

proteinshake wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:27 pm
Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
you will realize Duke is probably the most laid back school of the T13. the most controversial thing that has happened this year is probably that some 1Ls weren’t on their best behavior during a firm reception. FedSoc here is very professional and open to everyone. It probably has the most attended events because they serve Chik-Fil-A and no one is gonna refuse to be friends because you’re in Fed Soc. pretty much all the events feature opposing viewpoints. nothing to worry about!
That's good to hear! Well, except for the Chik-Fil-A part. Can't eat there due to allergies.

ProsecutorMustache

Post by ProsecutorMustache » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:31 pm

What's the lowdown on student basketball/other event tickets? Lottery? Discount purchase? both?

splitsmcgee

Post by splitsmcgee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:55 am

ProsecutorMustache wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:31 pm
What's the lowdown on student basketball/other event tickets? Lottery? Discount purchase? both?
Google "Duke Graduate Student Campout." Essentially, for the grad students (the k-ville camping you see on TV is for the undergrads) there is a 72 hour campout where you attend regular check-ins. Successful completion earns you entry to the lottery, which can win you the opportunity to purchase season tickets for $300, or whatever it is now.

All other sports are easy to attend and free.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:01 am

Bump for the new applicants
ntp wrote:

Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:50 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:27 pm
Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
cornell's fedsoc meetings apparently always have chipotle. might swing by one day and get some :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CBratter

Post by CBratter » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you guys so much for doing this! It's incredibly helpful.

Do you interact much with students in the other grad schools? Or are your friends and acquaintances pretty much confined to the law school?

And I know this has been asked, but I would love to hear from anyone who has insight into the experience of prepping for a PI career from Duke.

sev

Post by sev » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am

CBratter wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:06 pm
Do you interact much with students in the other grad schools? Or are your friends and acquaintances pretty much confined to the law school?
I do socialize outside of the law school but not as much as I thought I would. You can join any of the grad student associations if one piques your interest. I think most people just stay inside the law school out of convenience.

CBratter

Post by CBratter » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am

sev wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am
CBratter wrote:
I do socialize outside of the law school but not as much as I thought I would. You can join any of the grad student associations if one piques your interest. I think most people just stay inside the law school out of convenience.
Thank you!

Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:18 am

CBratter wrote:

And I know this has been asked, but I would love to hear from anyone who has insight into the experience of prepping for a PI career from Duke.
I don't think I've met another grad student, but I'm happy with the law school bubble. Once a semester there's a grad student bar crawl, and basketball campout (cancelled this year) where you could probably meet other grad students if you want. Plus I'm sure there's other opportunities!

Can't give much insight into PI but I was surprised by how many of my classmates are targeting it. The PI community seems larger and more organized than I expected it to be (but still smaller than those focused on getting biglaw).

splitsmcgee

Post by splitsmcgee » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 am

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:18 am
basketball campout (cancelled this year)
WTH? Why? Bc of Florence? What are they going to do instead?

Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 am

splitsmcgee wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 am
Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Yeah the original weekend was when Florence hit. They rescheduled it to 2 weekends from now but I think the issue was they couldn't lock down EMS support, so that was cancelled too. Everyone who was registered is just going to be put into the lotto, and we got refunds. Sucks for people who were planning on going to the new weekend, but it really works out for 1Ls since our memo is due the Monday after the new dates, and there is no way I'd be able to make it.

CBratter

Post by CBratter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
CBratter wrote:

I don't think I've met another grad student, but I'm happy with the law school bubble. Once a semester there's a grad student bar crawl, and basketball campout (cancelled this year) where you could probably meet other grad students if you want. Plus I'm sure there's other opportunities!

Can't give much insight into PI but I was surprised by how many of my classmates are targeting it. The PI community seems larger and more organized than I expected it to be (but still smaller than those focused on getting biglaw).
Thank you so much! Yea, the sense that I get is that the PI community is growing and getting good programmatic support - but I'm trying to figure out how much of that is good marketing on Duke's part hahah

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:21 pm

I expect the PI will shrink as we go, but it is a much bigger group than years past apparently.

Also the Dean pick was 100% a concerted effort to push PI. Whether the jobs will come is still to be seen.

splitsmcgee

Post by splitsmcgee » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 am
splitsmcgee wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 am
Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Yeah the original weekend was when Florence hit. They rescheduled it to 2 weekends from now but I think the issue was they couldn't lock down EMS support, so that was cancelled too. Everyone who was registered is just going to be put into the lotto, and we got refunds. Sucks for people who were planning on going to the new weekend, but it really works out for 1Ls since our memo is due the Monday after the new dates, and there is no way I'd be able to make it.
that's terrible news. 1L campout probably ranks up there as one of my favorite law school memories. at least for 1L. but that's a relief that it wasn't the weekend before the fall memo was due... that would probably be worse...