Duke Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Leela

Duke Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by Leela » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:27 am

Ask away here. And please feel free to PM me with questions!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Re: Duke Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:26 am

I'll start,

I'm curious how the summer hiring goes with grades. From what I can tell Duke is the last of the T14(13) to release them and I'm curious if it seems like that has a palpable effect on hiring for 1 and 2L summers?

I would bet the answer is yes for like V10, but was more curious about lower big law, mid law, or gov

principalagent

Post by principalagent » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:33 am

How easy/hard is it to negotiate to a Mordecai/damn near full tuition using other T10 named scholarships?

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54 am

principalagent wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:33 am
How easy/hard is it to negotiate to a Mordecai/damn near full tuition using other T10 named scholarships?
you can probably easily get Duke to 140-150K with a full from another T10, but it's probably tough to negotiate to a Mordecai since they give out so few.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:27 am

What is the PI culture like at Duke? I'm concerned by its relatively low PI placement over the past few years? Do you think that this is the result of self-selection, lack of career services support, lack of proximity to a major legal market for networking/externships, or something else?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Echos Myron wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:27 am
What is the PI culture like at Duke? I'm concerned by its relatively low PI placement over the past few years? Do you think that this is the result of self-selection, lack of career services support, lack of proximity to a major legal market for networking/externships, or something else?
I spoke to someone last year who was doing PI and had a fellowship. She was very nice about it but definitely indicated that PI was not a heavy focus of the CS office. I believe she mentioned that other schools have dedicated PI offices where as at Duke it's lumped in and since PI is so specific there can be issues with finding opportunities when you aren't doing it 24/7

That said I think it's probably a bit of a chicken/egg situation wrt self-selection, PI students don't frequently go so there isn't much focus, so they don't attract many.... Doesn't really help someone trying to make a PI decision though

I have not gotten the sense that any of it was due to a location issue. Duke doesn't seem to have trouble spreading it's network and it is in the best location for NC PI stuff, and at the end of the day the person I spoke to claimed that it's always possible to find PI, it may just be you looking and you may have to look harder, which is kind of unfortunate but at the end of the day is how I'd approach Law School in general, CS is just one resource

dwc13c

Post by dwc13c » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am

What is the approximate class rank requirement for people pursuing federal clerkships? Both district and circuit.

Slippin’ Jimmy

Post by Slippin’ Jimmy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Where do people tend to live? I'd prefer to be close to the school, and am planning on getting a studio/1 bedroom with no roommates.

Haven't made a final decision but just got a very competitive scholly offer!

Naguib

Post by Naguib » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:26 pm
Where do people tend to live? I'd prefer to be close to the school, and am planning on getting a studio/1 bedroom with no roommates.

How long after you submitted the scholarship app did you get the offer?

amcjv12

Post by amcjv12 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Asked this in the wrong place, so asking again here. Any thoughts on Duke's First Amendment clinic that was announced in February? Free speech is something I'm really passionate about, and apparently the clinic is going to let students work with clients who think their rights are being infringed upon. That sounds like something I want to be a part of.

LorneMalvo

Post by LorneMalvo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Do any students live in Chapel Hill and commute to Duke? My friend works at the hospital there and if we were roommates, would consider both Chapel Hill and Durham.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:17 pm

While I calculate my potential COA i was wondering if people knew whether duke law students typically own cars. Also I wanted to know average rent prices for students.

Thank you!

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Prudence wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:17 pm
While I calculate my potential COA i was wondering if people knew whether duke law students typically own cars. Also I wanted to know average rent prices for students.

Thank you!
almost everyone has a car, though I do know people who don't.

I would guess most people pay $1000-$1200, but that's by choice. those prices will get you the luxury apartments in Durham. plenty of people pay substantially less. I pay about $740 (bills included) and my place is really nice (not an apartment though).

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:41 pm

LorneMalvo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm
Do any students live in Chapel Hill and commute to Duke? My friend works at the hospital there and if we were roommates, would consider both Chapel Hill and Durham.
best shot might be in the South Square area, right in the middle. Check out Garrett West and Alden Place.

chelsea4970

Post by chelsea4970 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:52 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 pm
Prudence wrote:

Thank you!

I would guess most people pay $1000-$1200, but that's by choice. those prices will get you the luxury apartments in Durham. plenty of people pay substantially less. I pay about $740 (bills included) and my place is really nice (not an apartment though).
DO you have suggestions for areas that are nice to rent houses? My husband and I are open to an apartment or a house and $740 is super reasonable. I don't know the area though or what neighborhoods are good to look at.

Oneanddone?

Post by Oneanddone? » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:53 pm

chelsea4970 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:52 pm
proteinshake wrote:
Prudence wrote:

Thank you!

DO you have suggestions for areas that are nice to rent houses? My husband and I are open to an apartment or a house and $740 is super reasonable. I don't know the area though or what neighborhoods are good to look at.
It looks like there are some great options west of the law school (little houses in American Village, etc. that I would definitely consider - affordable, close, and a nice neighborhood).

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Oneanddone? wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:53 pm
chelsea4970 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:52 pm
proteinshake wrote:
Prudence wrote:

Thank you!

It looks like there are some great options west of the law school (little houses in American Village, etc. that I would definitely consider - affordable, close, and a nice neighborhood).
yep, check out Thompson Ridge. it's connected to American Village (or part of it?). 7 minute drive to the garage and the neighborhood is full of great people. the HOA takes care of everything and its super safe - I will literally go on walks at midnight if its warm out and almost always see other people still walking around (and almost everyone has a dog which is nice).

idk

Post by idk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Slippin’ Jimmy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:26 pm

If you haven't seen it already, the Duke Bar Association has a guide on this (and other 0L/1L matters) at https://dukelawdenovo.com/housing/

Most 1Ls live in large apartment complexes a few miles south of the law school. These include ARIUM, Garrett West, Alden Place, Century Trinity Estates, and the Parc. Rent for a 1 bedroom is usually somewhere around $1k/month and they're pretty nice (well maintained, spacious, plenty of amenities).

A fairly sizable portion of the class also lives in the area just to the north of the campus. The apartment complexes there include Trinity Commons, The Belmont, and Lofts at Lakeview.

But, honestly, people live all over. I suspect most are in large apartment complexes (which tend to be pretty nice). But I know of at least one 1L who purchased a house.

A lot of it depends on what sort of living environment you're looking for, and how much you're willing to spend. Housing in Durham tends to be pretty affordable, but there are still a range of options.

idk

Post by idk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 pm

LorneMalvo wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm
For what it's worth, driving from downtown Chapel Hill to the law school usually takes around 20 minutes, but it can balloon to 40+ minutes at rush hour. Also, you should bear in mind that you'll have limited control over your schedule during 1L because you are not able to choose your classes. And, for much of the school year, you will have class five days a week. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with all that commuting, but to each his own.

If you really want to room together, I would try to pick a place in the middle. Definitely look into proteinshake's suggestions. Also, I have a med student friend who rents a home with a bunch of other people somewhere around there. Now, she's pretty unhappy with the situation (doesn't get along with the roommates), but notwithstanding that fact, you might consider expanding your search beyond apartment complexes.

Downtown Chapel Hill is really cool though.
Prudence wrote:

Thank you!
I'm pretty sure almost everyone owns a car. It's really hard to function without one down here. I drive to school everyday. I picked up a pretty decent used car for about $10k when I moved out here, but a lot of people drove their cars here. Fortunately, it's a one-time expense (well, aside from all the other expenses that go along with owning a car) and you can resell it later.

I would guess that most people rent a one-bedroom for somewhere around $1000-1300/month, which is a bit above Duke's suggested budget (also, the maximum amount they'll loan you). But you can go a lot cheaper, probably down to around $750/month for a one-bedroom, but it will likely be less nice. If you're willing to room with someone, there are pretty nice two-bedroom apartments in the $1200-1600 range, which would leave your monthly rent at $600-800, which is within Duke's suggested budget.

idk

Post by idk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 pm

dwc13c wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am
What is the approximate class rank requirement for people pursuing federal clerkships? Both district and circuit.
Duke doesn't officially rank students. AFAIK ranking is only (publicly) used to determine Latin honors, which are based only on 2L and 3L grades (except for summa). Ranking is also used to determine who grades on to law journal, but I think that process is done secretly (i.e. you won't know if you graded on). So ranking info doesn't really get you too far.

Duke Law generally does quite well in clerkship placement, and has a decent support system for those seeking clerkships (the Clerkship Office in the Career and Professional Development Center and the Clerkship Committee of faculty members): https://law.duke.edu/career/careerpaths/clerkships/

The c/o 2016 had a 15.6% federal clerkship rate. C/o 2015 was at 8.7%. 2014 was 13.5%. 2013 was 8.7%. The four-year average is 11.6%. But this is only a rough proxy for rank, because not everyone seeks a federal clerkship. Also, there is more to federal clerkship hiring than grades.

Anecdotally, one of my professors mentioned that if you have a 3.6+, you have a fair shot at a federal clerkship. But I'm not sure what she based that on, and there's no way to determine the corresponding class rank.

idk

Post by idk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:26 am
I'll start,

I'm curious how the summer hiring goes with grades. From what I can tell Duke is the last of the T14(13) to release them and I'm curious if it seems like that has a palpable effect on hiring for 1 and 2L summers?

I would bet the answer is yes for like V10, but was more curious about lower big law, mid law, or gov
This year, fall semester grades came out on the afternoon of Tuesday, January 23, 2018. For fall grades, I think mid- to late- January is pretty typical for Duke, usually before February.

I'm sure that, around the edges, this has some effect on 1L summer hiring, but I think the effect isn't that substantial (and is probably overstated by disaffected 1Ls). At least some law firms were still taking 1L summer applications at the time grades came out. And almost all big law firms were willing to accept applications prior to the grade release (with the understanding that applicants would later update their applications with their grades). I'm personally aware of several 1Ls who have big law SAs lined up. And it's my understanding that Duke actually tends to do fairly well in terms of 1L summer job placement, as there are a lot of 1L positions with southern and Texas law firms.

Personally, I was able to get my 1L summer job (unpaid, but at a prestigious gov/PI position) lined up pretty easily. I got the offer about a week before grades were released, I assume largely on the strength of the Duke name.

I can't really speak to 2L hiring yet, but I'd imagine the effect is pretty small. I think grades and journals usually come out by July, which leaves plenty of time for OCI, and a decent amount of time for pre-OCI (although we might be a bit behind other schools in this respect).

In any case, Duke's c/o 2016 had a combined BL+FC rate of 77.7%. I think you'll find this compares favorably with, for example, Harvard (75.9%), Stanford (74.9%), NYU (74.4%), Penn (77.1%), UVa (76.9%), and Michigan (66.3%). The results speak for themselves. Whatever effect the lateness of grades may have on Duke Law students, the effect on Duke Law alumni is clearly minimal.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:03 am

idk wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 pm
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:26 am
I'll start,

Personally, I was able to get my 1L summer job (unpaid, but at a prestigious gov/PI position)
these exist?

idk

Post by idk » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:07 am

proteinshake wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:03 am
idk wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 pm
Personally, I was able to get my 1L summer job (unpaid, but at a prestigious gov/PI position)
these exist?
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic? Perhaps the post would have been clearer with "organization" instead of "position."

industwetrust

Post by industwetrust » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:14 am

Are the faculty accessible/open to mentoring?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Duke in D.C. program? Is it worthwhile? Does participating preclude you from things like law review?

WednesdayGirl

Post by WednesdayGirl » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:19 am

Hi friends, I'm currently choosing between Duke ($$) and Columbia (still waiting on financial aid, but I'm not expecting much, if any), and I'm planning on going into PI. Are there any graduates on here who are utilizing or have utilized Duke's LRAP who would be willing to PM me about their experience?