Michigan Students and Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
blueapple

Michigan Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by blueapple » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 am

I can answer questions about the school, Ann Arbor, Detroit, what snow is like, how great Dean Z is, etc. I'm a couple years out but hopefully some current students will migrate this way soon.

legallybrunette

Re: Michigan Students and Grads Taking Questions

Post by legallybrunette » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 am

Trying not to give TLS a lot of clicks so sorry if this has been asked before.

What are some good apartment options? I'm looking at studios and 1 bedrooms. I have zero knowledge of the area and have no idea what areas are good to look at in terms of proximity to the law school, price and features (preferably an in-unit laundry). I saw that the on-campus Lawyers Club had great reviews, but I really would prefer to have an apartment with a kitchen of my own. I like to cook and control what goes into my food, and I feel like constantly sharing a kitchen with others would be stressful after a while! I have a car so I don't mind driving unless that's not recommended for 1L, and I hear the commute isn't bad.

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 am

legallybrunette wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 am
Trying not to give TLS a lot of clicks so sorry if this has been asked before.

What are some good apartment options? I'm looking at studios and 1 bedrooms. I have zero knowledge of the area and have no idea what areas are good to look at in terms of proximity to the law school, price and features (preferably an in-unit laundry). I saw that the on-campus Lawyers Club had great reviews, but I really would prefer to have an apartment with a kitchen of my own. I like to cook and control what goes into my food, and I feel like constantly sharing a kitchen with others would be stressful after a while! I have a car so I don't mind driving unless that's not recommended for 1L, and I hear the commute isn't bad.
Welcome! The lawyers club is great for convenience and meeting people, but it's definitely not a good option for someone who likes/wants to cook.

As a 1L I would recommend living within walking distance for two reasons.
1) there's nowhere to park unless you find a nearby spot to rent which will likely cost you $100 a month or so. If you don't find a spot to rent, it can be impossible to reliably find free street parking. I did know of people who parked in the metered spots and then just paid a $10 parking ticket every day. Not kidding.
2) it's harder to make friends when you don't live nearby. If you're just on campus for classes and go home right after, you end up missing out on a lot of the spontaneous outings and events.

Let me get back to you after work with some more specific thoughts and some links to places. Ann Arbor has a wide range of options from cheap apartments in shitty old houses to brand new apartment buildings and everything in between. If you prefer in-unit you'll probably be looking for a newer/nicer space.

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Thank you for this!

What do people do in the cold months? My wife is going to be a stay-at-home mom, and I don't want her to be bored out of her mind at home alone:/

How awesome is Dean Z? XD

If you aren't into partying/drinking//football/etc... how difficult is it to get away from that crowd? We're leaning towards the Northwood family housing, as far as living goes.

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 pm

legallybrunette wrote:
What are some good apartment options?
Alright so to add to what I mentioned earlier, here are some options walking distance from law school.

1) City Place - a little pricey and you have a bedroom/bathroom in a 6BR apartment so might not be quite what you're looking for, but it could be a good way to meet people and the kitchens are well-equipped and there is laundry in-unit https://offcampushousing.umich.edu/prop ... gid/153242
2) Munger grad student housing - similar to city place in that you have a bedroom/bathroom in a big apartment, but you're closer to the law school and there are amenities that are really great for grad students like study spaces. I think there's a gym and also a track on the roof. http://mungerresidences.org/
3) High rises that are probably too expensive for ann arbor... http://www.zaragonwest.com/; https://www.zaragonplace.com/; http://www.sterlinghousing.com/ann-arbo ... arbor-blu/
4) Most housing in ann arbor is just in smaller buildings/old houses that have been renovated into apartments. so a lot of that is just looking on craigslist and googling to find property management companies and seeing what they have available. When I lived in Ann Arbor I rented through Varsity Management and they're a lot better than most other Ann Arbor property management companies which can be hit or miss and kind of predatory. They were usually responsive when stuff went wrong. http://www.varsitymanagement.com/ (I also see under their "Find A Home" tab that they're now selling parking spots for $95 a month so if you do decide to live elsewhere and drive, you can rent a parking spot without the hassle of tracking down someone who has one through the law school listserve, etc.)

Happy to provide more specific advice when you've started looking around more, too. Feel free to PM me.

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 pm

dallinpackard wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 pm
Thank you for this!

What do people do in the cold months? My wife is going to be a stay-at-home mom, and I don't want her to be bored out of her mind at home alone:/

If you aren't into partying/drinking//football/etc... how difficult is it to get away from that crowd? We're leaning towards the Northwood family housing, as far as living goes.
How old will your kid(s) be? There are a lot of family-friendly activities for young kids in Ann Arbor. Hands-On Museum is a good one https://www.aahom.org/ and a friend of mine with toddler/pre-school-aged kids goes to the Y a lot during the winter because the kids get tired out and it takes up a good chunk of the day https://www.annarborymca.org/. I'm afraid as a childless single person, I don't have a ton more to suggest than this right now but there's plenty to do in Ann Arbor during the winter as long as you don't mind hopping in your car or an uber!

Dean Z is so awesome it can't possibly be overstated.

It's not hard to find the non-partying crowd, especially if you have a family. There's a student group, OWLS (Older Wiser Law Students), that typically caters to parents and organizes family-friendly events. They're great! It's also easy to go out and not drink, if you want to do that too. Ann Arbor has a lot of different weekly trivia games at bars which is a good stress-reliever - it's fun to find a group of classmates to go to something like that, and it doesn't matter if you drink or not.

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:09 pm

blueapple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 pm
dallinpackard wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 pm
Thank you for this!

How old will your kid(s) be? There are a lot of family-friendly activities for young kids in Ann Arbor. Hands-On Museum is a good one https://www.aahom.org/ and a friend of mine with toddler/pre-school-aged kids goes to the Y a lot during the winter because the kids get tired out and it takes up a good chunk of the day https://www.annarborymca.org/. I'm afraid as a childless single person, I don't have a ton more to suggest than this right now but there's plenty to do in Ann Arbor during the winter as long as you don't mind hopping in your car or an uber!

Dean Z is so awesome it can't possibly be overstated.

It's not hard to find the non-partying crowd, especially if you have a family. There's a student group, OWLS (Older Wiser Law Students), that typically caters to parents and organizes family-friendly events. They're great! It's also easy to go out and not drink, if you want to do that too. Ann Arbor has a lot of different weekly trivia games at bars which is a good stress-reliever - it's fun to find a group of classmates to go to something like that, and it doesn't matter if you drink or not.
Thank you so much for the reply! My son will be just over a year when we start law school, so he'd definitely be in the younger group.

It's good to know there are enough things to do, and I'm sure we'll love it up there should we decide that's best for us:)

Another question: As one who is struggling to decide between UVA and Michigan, both with sizable and relatively equal scholarships, I am wondering how you made your decision? I'm not sure you were stuck with the same situation as I am, but I am interested in your experience nonetheless.

My goals: Work in Texas, hopefully clerk in Texas or DC with a court that deals with patent cases (I think it's the 5th circtuit?). I am an EE major, so patent law is right up my alley. My wife and I are also both from Houston, and so we wouldn't have a difficult time establishing ties to Texas.

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 pm

dallinpackard wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:09 pm
Another question: As one who is struggling to decide between UVA and Michigan, both with sizable and relatively equal scholarships, I am wondering how you made your decision? I'm not sure you were stuck with the same situation as I am, but I am interested in your experience nonetheless.

My goals: Work in Texas, hopefully clerk in Texas or DC with a court that deals with patent cases (I think it's the 5th circtuit?). I am an EE major, so patent law is right up my alley. My wife and I are also both from Houston, and so we wouldn't have a difficult time establishing ties to Texas.
Is there a reason UT isn't in the mix for you? That seems like it would be the most obvious choice for someone with your goals.

But to address UVA vs. Michigan, I actually didn't consider UVA which in retrospect was really dumb (especially because I wanted to end up in DC). I was ultimately deciding between GW/Michigan (I was waitlisted at Georgetown - and some higher-ranked schools I'm sure I was never going to be admitted to - and then withdrew myself once I decided to go with Michigan) and in the end just kind of went with my gut. Cornell was also in the mix but Michigan actually gave me more money so I didn't really consider Cornell. I was tempted to go to GW to stay in DC but I felt like Michigan was a better fit for me and I had family nearby which was a nice bonus.

I doubt that's helpful to you, but UVA and Michigan will get you similar outcomes and both can get you to your goals. If the difference in cost of attendance/living is going to be significantly different, I'd go with the less expensive option. If the cost really is relatively equal, I'd say just go with whichever you prefer.

paging
UVA2B
who can provide UVA info and maybe has more helpful commentary than I do on how to choose between similar schools?

legallybrunette

Post by legallybrunette » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:03 am

blueapple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:27 pm
legallybrunette wrote:
What are some good apartment options?
Alright so to add to what I mentioned earlier, here are some options walking distance from law school.

1) City Place - a little pricey and you have a bedroom/bathroom in a 6BR apartment so might not be quite what you're looking for, but it could be a good way to meet people and the kitchens are well-equipped and there is laundry in-unit https://offcampushousing.umich.edu/prop ... gid/153242
2) Munger grad student housing - similar to city place in that you have a bedroom/bathroom in a big apartment, but you're closer to the law school and there are amenities that are really great for grad students like study spaces. I think there's a gym and also a track on the roof. http://mungerresidences.org/
3) High rises that are probably too expensive for ann arbor... http://www.zaragonwest.com/; https://www.zaragonplace.com/; http://www.sterlinghousing.com/ann-arbo ... arbor-blu/
4) Most housing in ann arbor is just in smaller buildings/old houses that have been renovated into apartments. so a lot of that is just looking on craigslist and googling to find property management companies and seeing what they have available. When I lived in Ann Arbor I rented through Varsity Management and they're a lot better than most other Ann Arbor property management companies which can be hit or miss and kind of predatory. They were usually responsive when stuff went wrong. http://www.varsitymanagement.com/ (I also see under their "Find A Home" tab that they're now selling parking spots for $95 a month so if you do decide to live elsewhere and drive, you can rent a parking spot without the hassle of tracking down someone who has one through the law school listserve, etc.)

Happy to provide more specific advice when you've started looking around more, too. Feel free to PM me.
This is amazing thank you so much! I’m gonna visit in March but barring any other big scholarships from other schools (which I’m really not expecting anymore at this point), I’m really just between Michigan and UVA!

Around when is the latest do you recommend to really start looking at apartments / planning to commit with deposits and everything? And would you say I have to go in person to each and every place I’m considering? I live really far from Ann Arbor but also doubt I’ll be putting down apt deposits during Preview weekend!

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:15 pm

legallybrunette wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:03 am

This is amazing thank you so much! I’m gonna visit in March but barring any other big scholarships from other schools (which I’m really not expecting anymore at this point), I’m really just between Michigan and UVA!

Around when is the latest do you recommend to really start looking at apartments / planning to commit with deposits and everything? And would you say I have to go in person to each and every place I’m considering? I live really far from Ann Arbor but also doubt I’ll be putting down apt deposits during Preview weekend!
In a college town like Ann Arbor it's always better to look sooner rather than later, but you'll never run out of options or anything. You might just have to live a little further than you wanted to or pay a little more or have a smaller kitchen or something like that. I would say start looking as soon as you make your decision about where you're attending. I don't think you need to go in person to every place you're considering, but I would try to get someone to look at it (like if you meet someone at preview weekend who lives in Ann Arbor) or at least ask me/someone else who's familiar with Ann Arbor to get an opinion. And during preview weekend I'd just kind of look around and note the names of the management companies of the buildings that look like they're taken care of and you can look up those companies later and see what properties they have available (the companies' names are always posted on the outside of houses/buildings).

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:34 pm

blueapple wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:40 pm
dallinpackard wrote:

Is there a reason UT isn't in the mix for you? That seems like it would be the most obvious choice for someone with your goals.

But to address UVA vs. Michigan, I actually didn't consider UVA which in retrospect was really dumb (especially because I wanted to end up in DC). I was ultimately deciding between GW/Michigan (I was waitlisted at Georgetown - and some higher-ranked schools I'm sure I was never going to be admitted to - and then withdrew myself once I decided to go with Michigan) and in the end just kind of went with my gut. Cornell was also in the mix but Michigan actually gave me more money so I didn't really consider Cornell. I was tempted to go to GW to stay in DC but I felt like Michigan was a better fit for me and I had family nearby which was a nice bonus.

I doubt that's helpful to you, but UVA and Michigan will get you similar outcomes and both can get you to your goals. If the difference in cost of attendance/living is going to be significantly different, I'd go with the less expensive option. If the cost really is relatively equal, I'd say just go with whichever you prefer.

paging
UVA2B
who can provide UVA info and maybe has more helpful commentary than I do on how to choose between similar schools?
I was a bit disenchanted with UT when they low-balled me scholarship-wise, and for a reconsideration I have to decide within 5 days, which is daunting to me. But if it really is my best choice I'd still consider it.

To give you an estimate of my costs (and scholarships):
UT - 24k scholarship, COA 145k
UVA - 120k scholarship, COA 125k
Michigan - 135k scholarship, COA 105k

I think that UT would potentially be a great choice, but I'd really like a clerkship and UT's prospects there are a little more limited.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 pm

blueapple wrote:
dallinpackard wrote:

paging
UVA2B
Saw this because I'm a weirdo stalking the Michigan ask a student thread for whatever reason, but I thought I'd add that blueapple is spot-on here, and while I've previously provided you my perspective on UVA and Cville privately, it really comes down to personal fit when the costs are similar. If I remember correctly, Michigan is ~$10-15k less for you right now, right? If all else holds, that amount could be enough to make the difference if you like the schools equally, but shouldn't make you automatically think Michigan is the better call if you like UVA more for personal reasons.

That said, wait until UT comes back with your reconsideration and you have all options on the table. Only then will you know what you're dealing with in making this choice.

I'll now kindly see myself out Big Blue.

Edit: or I'm dumb and didn't realize that you posted COA right above me. I'm proud that I somehow remembered that number somewhat correctly.

dallinpackard

Post by dallinpackard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:28 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 pm
blueapple wrote:
dallinpackard wrote:

paging
UVA2B
Saw this because I'm a weirdo stalking the Michigan ask a student thread for whatever reason, but I thought I'd add that blueapple is spot-on here, and while I've previously provided you my perspective on UVA and Cville privately, it really comes down to personal fit when the costs are similar. If I remember correctly, Michigan is ~$10-15k less for you right now, right? If all else holds, that amount could be enough to make the difference if you like the schools equally, but shouldn't make you automatically think Michigan is the better call if you like UVA more for personal reasons.

That said, wait until UT comes back with your reconsideration and you have all options on the table. Only then will you know what you're dealing with in making this choice.

Edit: or I'm dumb and didn't realize that you posted COA right above me. I'm proud that I somehow remembered that number somewhat correctly.
I must admit I'm quite impressed you remembered my cost analysis! I'm going to visit both Michigan and UVA, and THEN toss in UT's reconsideration request, so that I have 5 days of knowing what each is like before choosing. That's for the advice again, and I'll let y'all know what I end up choosing!

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:56 am

UVA2B wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 pm
blueapple wrote:

paging
UVA2B

To be fair, I did try to summon you and just did a bad job quote-summoning you so I'm glad you made it in here anyway.
dallinpackard wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:34 pm
I was a bit disenchanted with UT when they low-balled me scholarship-wise, and for a reconsideration I have to decide within 5 days, which is daunting to me. But if it really is my best choice I'd still consider it.

To give you an estimate of my costs (and scholarships):
UT - 24k scholarship, COA 145k
UVA - 120k scholarship, COA 125k
Michigan - 135k scholarship, COA 105k

I think that UT would potentially be a great choice, but I'd really like a clerkship and UT's prospects there are a little more limited.
You'll have to see what UT comes back with, like UVA2B said. That sucks that you have to decide within 5 days, though. The standard advice is that you should not make a school choice based on the opportunity for a one-year job, you should make it based on the opportunities provided for your career. Right now obviously Michigan and UVA are better options, but if UT comes back with a much better scholarship, you should consider it and try to see past whatever the % difference in federal clerskships is.

ChutzpahSaxa15

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

I too want to end up in DC after graduation - probably want to do a clerkship and then ultimately end up working in a nonprofit/government org around education law and civil rights. I like that a fair number of Michigan grads end up in DC, but I was recently admitted to Georgetown so that'll be a tough decision. Thoughts?

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:43 pm

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm
I too want to end up in DC after graduation - probably want to do a clerkship and then ultimately end up working in a nonprofit/government org around education law and civil rights. I like that a fair number of Michigan grads end up in DC, but I was recently admitted to Georgetown so that'll be a tough decision. Thoughts?
What's your LSAT/GPA and what would the COA be at each school?

The biggest benefit of Georgetown is that you can work/intern/network in DC during the school year rather than only during the summers. If you were going for biglaw, I'd say Michigan was definitely the better choice assuming COA was reasonable, but I think it's a tougher choice for government/PI because GULC has good numbers there.

Anecdotally most Michigan grads I know from my year who wanted to get to DC for PI were able to (including me), but I do think it would have been easier in a lot of ways to be in the city during law school. Also anecdotally, coming from a smaller school like Michigan has made my application stand out more so than if I'd been at Georgetown. I know I'll usually be the only one or one of a handful of Michigan grads applying for any given job.

Ultimately I think either Michigan or Georgetown will work for your goals, but you need to keep the costs down.

ChutzpahSaxa15

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 pm

169/3.4

Michigan has offered 45K so far, and I know I'd save at least 50K in living expenses at Georgetown since I could live at home. Haven't heard from them for merit aid yet.

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:56 pm

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 pm
169/3.4

Michigan has offered 45K so far, and I know I'd save at least 50K in living expenses at Georgetown since I could live at home. Haven't heard from them for merit aid yet.
So I'd say wait until Georgetown comes back to you with merit aid and then try to negotiate with Michigan for more. I'm not a good source of wisdom for scholarship negotiations, but once you know what you're working with I'd start a choosing thread so you can get some help with that.

salome

Post by salome » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:06 pm

don't go to georgetown, it's a diploma mill

ChutzpahSaxa15

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 pm

salome wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:06 pm
What does that mean exactly? Just that it's huge?

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:13 am

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 pm
salome wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:06 pm
What does that mean exactly? Just that it's huge?
I'm guessing that's what they mean. I wouldn't recommend going there for generic goals of biglaw for this reason, but I think Georgetown is fine for your goals at the right price.

Pringles

Post by Pringles » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:51 am

Thank you so much for taking questions! Do you have any insight into the full-time externship program? It seems like it could be useful to build connections/be in a better position to get a job in a market where you don't necessarily have strong ties but I'm not sure.

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Pringles wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:51 am
Thank you so much for taking questions! Do you have any insight into the full-time externship program? It seems like it could be useful to build connections/be in a better position to get a job in a market where you don't necessarily have strong ties but I'm not sure.
I did not do the full-time externship program but know a couple of people who did. It's definitely a good way to build experience or to network in a city you want to develop more ties to, in my opinion. The part-time externship program and the international externship programs are far more popular than the full-time program, but obviously those limit you to the detroit/ann arbor area for part-time or Geneva, South Africa, or India (I think the India program may be new because I don't know anyone who did it when I was there). The full-time externship program seems like a good option for someone who has a reason to spend a semester in a particular city.

Pringles

Post by Pringles » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:07 am

blueapple wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:53 pm
Pringles wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:51 am
I did not do the full-time externship program but know a couple of people who did. It's definitely a good way to build experience or to network in a city you want to develop more ties to, in my opinion. The part-time externship program and the international externship programs are far more popular than the full-time program, but obviously those limit you to the detroit/ann arbor area for part-time or Geneva, South Africa, or India (I think the India program may be new because I don't know anyone who did it when I was there). The full-time externship program seems like a good option for someone who has a reason to spend a semester in a particular city.
Thanks so much for the info!

AlbertParsons

Post by AlbertParsons » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:25 am

I was looking at the schedule for ASW and saw that there were financial aid counseling appointments available for that weekend? what are they useful for? can you make a pitch for more aid, or is it mostly financial aid staff giving you information about loans, larp, etc. and how to pay for law school?