NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
2021Hopeful!

Re: NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Post by 2021Hopeful! » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 pm

Is it totally random whether you end up with crim or torts in fall? Can i pick my favorite? (The one that scares me less) :lol:

NYC313

Post by NYC313 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Bork wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:08 pm
Anyone have thoughts on commuting from New Jersey as a 1L?
Where in Jersey? I'm a 0L but it seems like the answer would really depend how far we're talking! Some parts of Jersey aren't that different from some parts of Brooklyn in terms of commute. But some are obviously pretty far!

sorence

Post by sorence » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 am

hotdog wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:12 am
How have student's experiences been living in on campus housing? Would you recommend?
kgund77 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 pm
Hi guys! Recently committed to NYU and looking at on-campus housing options. Definitely will live on campus for 1L, but wondering abut the differences between D'Ag and Hayden. Hayden is significantly more expensive per semester than D'Agostino—is this just because the rooms are a bit bigger? How significant is this difference? Would you recommend one vs. the other?
Both are comparable. I don't think anyone hates where they're at between the two buildings (I know some people who wished they had lived off-campus, but that's another story). Aside from ranking your preferences, you don't really get a choice. Tbh, things play out in the end and I don't see any significant differences, aside from perhaps cost (but if you're SUPER cost-wary, then perhaps off-campus is the way to go for you).

D'Ag:
- Right across the street from the law school, can't get any closer
- Significantly less rooms (les slikely you'll get in), significntly less $$
- Rooms are smaller/older, heating/cooling is controlled by the central system (not really an issue)

Hayden:
- A bit further, but still as close as you'll ever need to be
- Bigger rooms, better rooms (typically newer), more expensive

A note on choosing to live on-campus vs. off-campus: I chose to live on-campus bc I moved to New York for NYU and didn't know the area.
- Biggest pro: it was convenient, and I don't regret it. It's been very stress-free in that respect, which I've enjoyed.
- Biggest con: it takes special effort to get out of the "NYU Law bubble" that is D'Ag/Vandy/Furman. If you're one to feel cooped up, then consider Hayden or off-campus.

Source: I lived in D'Ag this year, have plenty of friends who live in Hayden. SOrry for the brevity, hope this helped!

Billy Flynn

Post by Billy Flynn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:24 am

NYC313 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 pm
Bork wrote:
Where in Jersey? I'm a 0L but it seems like the answer would really depend how far we're talking! Some parts of Jersey aren't that different from some parts of Brooklyn in terms of commute. But some are obviously pretty far!
Yeah, there are a number of students who live around the Hoboken/grove street/Newport/ exchange path lines in jersey city and commute in. You would get off at 9th street, about two or three blocks from the law school. It’s about a 20-60 minute commute depending on how much walking from your apartment to the path. Very reliable rush hour commutes. Late night commutes are more frustrating because of the infrequency of the trains. The closer you live to your chosen station, the more manhattan like the rents become.

Less common is a commute on njtransit from central jersey. NJtransit is less reliable than the Path and the trip is longer in. I know of some students who do this because of other family responsibilities. It ain’t easy and beware.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:38 pm

2021Hopeful! wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 pm
Is it totally random whether you end up with crim or torts in fall? Can i pick my favorite? (The one that scares me less) :lol:
You'll get randomly placed into a section, you don't have any control over which class you take first. But obviously you do get to pick your spring elective!

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Goatsincoats wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:22 am
Do students have access to a fitness center? Are there classes available?
You get free access to all NYU gyms. 404 Lafayette is the closest to the law school but Palladium by Union Square is also not too far of a walk. I believe there are classes but I think they cost extra.

2021Hopeful!

Post by 2021Hopeful! » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:38 pm
2021Hopeful! wrote:
You'll get randomly placed into a section, you don't have any control over which class you take first. But obviously you do get to pick your spring elective!
Thanks!

b-a-n-a-n-a-s

Post by b-a-n-a-n-a-s » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:30 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
2021Hopeful! wrote:
On 1L spring electives, I'm very interested in taking the IP course, but I recognize that Property and ConLaw are both mandatory courses. Any insight into how to best prioritize these electives?

Bork

Post by Bork » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Billy Flynn wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:24 am
NYC313 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 pm
Bork wrote:
Yeah, there are a number of students who live around the Hoboken/grove street/Newport/ exchange path lines in jersey city and commute in. You would get off at 9th street, about two or three blocks from the law school. It’s about a 20-60 minute commute depending on how much walking from your apartment to the path. Very reliable rush hour commutes. Late night commutes are more frustrating because of the infrequency of the trains. The closer you live to your chosen station, the more manhattan like the rents become.

Less common is a commute on njtransit from central jersey. NJtransit is less reliable than the Path and the trip is longer in. I know of some students who do this because of other family responsibilities. It ain’t easy and beware.
Thanks for the help!

Cheiro

Post by Cheiro » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:26 am

b-a-n-a-n-a-s wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:30 am
Slytherpuff wrote:
2021Hopeful! wrote:
On 1L spring electives, I'm very interested in taking the IP course, but I recognize that Property and ConLaw are both mandatory courses. Any insight into how to best prioritize these electives?
When picking class electives, the things you should consider are:

1. Do you need this as a prerequisite? This is can be important both for other classes and clinics.

2. Which professor is teaching it? If one of the best IP professors isn't teaching the class for 1Ls, it's definitely worth waiting to take it with him/her.

3. If you are still on the fence, I would just take property or Conlaw and get it out of the way.
- side note: I took property as a 1L and found it pretty low key. Friends taking the class this semester say its super gunner-y. Not sure if it speaks to a pattern but could be something to consider.

b-a-n-a-n-a-s

Post by b-a-n-a-n-a-s » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:21 am

Cheiro wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:26 am
b-a-n-a-n-a-s wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
2021Hopeful! wrote:
When picking class electives, the things you should consider are:

1. Do you need this as a prerequisite? This is can be important both for other classes and clinics.

2. Which professor is teaching it? If one of the best IP professors isn't teaching the class for 1Ls, it's definitely worth waiting to take it with him/her.

3. If you are still on the fence, I would just take property or Conlaw and get it out of the way.
- side note: I took property as a 1L and found it pretty low key. Friends taking the class this semester say its super gunner-y. Not sure if it speaks to a pattern but could be something to consider.
Thanks for the response! I'd heard similar things about Property 1L so was leaning that way too.

airwrecka

Post by airwrecka » Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 pm

b-a-n-a-n-a-s wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
2021Hopeful! wrote:
I have quite a few friends in IP this semester and I think they're glad they took it (especially those with no IP background who want to signal to firms that they're interested in working in IP), although it does sound like it's turning out to be more work than my Property class. But this is all just second-hand info.

I'm in Property now because I didn't get into Con Law and didn't care about the other options. I'm really glad this is the elective I'm in. It's pretty low-key (especially after you've had torts and contracts), and it knocks a requirement out of the way. I can see how it will be applicable in future classes, and some of the material is actually really interesting (at least in my opinion).

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Wed May 09, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm in Corporations and I'm gonna give it an endorsement for 1L. I think it's fair to say that there are very few areas of law where an understanding of corporations is not going to be helpful, and the great part about the class is that the learning curve is steep, but once you get over the mental hump of just figuring out what everything is, the content is pretty simple. Plus, the 1L professor this year assigned a hilariously low amount of reading (for the last 2-3 weeks, it's been one case per class -- sorry, everyone in Con Law.)

NYC313

Post by NYC313 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:28 am

Two quick questions:

1. What's a typical 1L schedule look like? Do you have classes 5 days a week? 4 days?

2. I'm to have 25-30 minute subway commute to campus. Do you think 50-60 minutes a day spent commuting will be too much for a 1L?

Thanks!

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Fri May 11, 2018 6:38 pm

NYC313 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:28 am
Two quick questions:

1. What's a typical 1L schedule look like? Do you have classes 5 days a week? 4 days?

2. I'm to have 25-30 minute subway commute to campus. Do you think 50-60 minutes a day spent commuting will be too much for a 1L?

Thanks!
1. You typically have classes five days a week. Even if you're the one section that gets scheduled for four days a week, professors will schedule make-up classes on Fridays, and TAs will schedule office hours and review sessions then as well, so expect to be on campus every day.

2. No. If losing one hour of your day is untenable, you're probably not working efficiently. I will say, though, that my friends who live in Harlem and Brooklyn made it to far fewer after-hours social events.

airwrecka

Post by airwrecka » Sat May 12, 2018 6:45 pm

NYC313 wrote:
Two quick questions:

Thanks!
I'll address #2 as someone who had a much longer commute than that this year (I'm a 1L). It's very doable. My commute is 45-60 minutes (but let's be real, with the way MTA runs, 60 min is the norm), and I have had no problems. Sure, it's annoying occasionally, but I also love the time it gives me to unplug from school (I listen to a LOT of podcasts and I also read a lot of books--for fun--on my Kindle while commuting, or I just listen to music). It also ensures that I go to other parts of the city that are not within 5 blocks of NYU. One thing I will say, though, is that if you're the type of person who wants to be a social butterfly and partying with everyone from school all the time, that length of a commute is probably a bad idea. I had no real desire to go to bar reviews or go out really at all during the week, so my commute didn't bother me. I'm married, so I always just wanted to get home to see my partner. But if you think you want to be hanging out with people all the time (because I get the impression that a lot of students in the dorms do this), I would consider living closer.

NYC313

Post by NYC313 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:41 am

airwrecka wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:45 pm
NYC313 wrote:
Two quick questions:

Thanks!
I'll address #2 as someone who had a much longer commute than that this year (I'm a 1L). It's very doable. My commute is 45-60 minutes (but let's be real, with the way MTA runs, 60 min is the norm), and I have had no problems. Sure, it's annoying occasionally, but I also love the time it gives me to unplug from school (I listen to a LOT of podcasts and I also read a lot of books--for fun--on my Kindle while commuting, or I just listen to music). It also ensures that I go to other parts of the city that are not within 5 blocks of NYU. One thing I will say, though, is that if you're the type of person who wants to be a social butterfly and partying with everyone from school all the time, that length of a commute is probably a bad idea. I had no real desire to go to bar reviews or go out really at all during the week, so my commute didn't bother me. I'm married, so I always just wanted to get home to see my partner. But if you think you want to be hanging out with people all the time (because I get the impression that a lot of students in the dorms do this), I would consider living closer.
Thanks to you both. Very helpful

sadbois

Post by sadbois » Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Last edited by sadbois on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2021Hopeful!

Post by 2021Hopeful! » Wed May 16, 2018 12:52 pm

sadbois wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm
Is it possible to get your dorm room assignment changed? I preferenced the cheapest options available and was assigned a place that is significantly more than I am willing to pay for a dorm.
Can I ask when you submitted the application? I’ve been waiting a while.

Edit: sorry nevermind. Found it.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri May 18, 2018 8:00 pm

sadbois wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm
Is it possible to get your dorm room assignment changed? I preferenced the cheapest options available and was assigned a place that is significantly more than I am willing to pay for a dorm.
You can certainly try, maybe there will be an opening later this summer if someone decides not to attend. Normally if they can't give you your first choice it's because all those types of apartments filled up though.

tax415

Post by tax415 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:50 am

Can anyone recommend a broker? Also, are leases in NYC only 12 or 24 months? I'm planning on moving back to CA after the completion of my tax llm, so I'm trying to figure out if its possible to just sign a 9 month vs 12 and having someone takeover for the summer.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:17 pm

tax415 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:50 am
Can anyone recommend a broker? Also, are leases in NYC only 12 or 24 months? I'm planning on moving back to CA after the completion of my tax llm, so I'm trying to figure out if its possible to just sign a 9 month vs 12 and having someone takeover for the summer.
No broker recommendations, but 9 month leases are basically unheard of. I'd say to either live in the law student dorms where you can do a school-year lease, or prepare to find a sublettor for the summer after you finish your LLM. Everything you look at will be a full year lease.

hotdog

Post by hotdog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Looking at off-campus apts and wondering in what areas many NYU students seem to live? Basically looking for a <30 min commute each way
Last edited by hotdog on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Post by airwrecka » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:48 pm

hotdog wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:06 pm
Looking at off-campus apts and wondering in what areas many NYU students seem to live? Basically looking for a <30 min commute each way
I would say most students I know either live in East Village or Brooklyn (various parts). I have a couple friends who live in the LES too. If you're near an express train line, many parts of Brooklyn are doable. It's nice that W4 (the subway stop right by NYU) has so many lines that go through it, so it opens up a lot of options.

If you're searching for apartments on StreetEasy, you can filter by places that are near specific lines (if you're planning to live farther away than walking distance).

GloriousMess

Post by GloriousMess » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Anyone participate in or know someone who did one of the NYU Law Abroad programs? The dean and faculty hyped them a bit at admitted students weekend, and I wondered how they were perceived by students.

Also, the fall schedule was just released. Is there some online repository of reports on professors? I’m thinking mostly style, approach, general what to expect from each of my professors.