NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
NYUroot

Re: NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Post by NYUroot »

tnr13 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:51 pm Thanks for taking these questions. I have a question for the Roots: what can I do to my application to make it as competitive as possible for RTK selection?

By way of background, I've spent the past two years working at a PD office.I'm going to spend the next year or so working in criminal justice policy, just to affirm if law school is right for me (as opposed to just getting an MPP). Hoping to have four years of work experience before I apply to grad or law school.
The more demonstrated interest, the better. We don't want to see someone who says they care about repro rights and volunteers at an abortion clinic once a month, but otherwise has just worked at an investment bank for the past five years (unless, of course, they had serious financial constraints requiring that they support their whole family or something).

Your plan sounds great. Unless you somehow come across as entirely unreflective about your experiences, three years in criminal justice work makes someone a very good candidate for an interview.
ccaa123

Post by ccaa123 »

ContigoMontoya wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:03 am Does anyone know how long they take to re-evaluate awards/consider award appeals?
Second'ing this question...does anyone know the answer? Deadlines are creeping up pretty quickly
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

ccaa123 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:10 pm
ContigoMontoya wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:03 am Does anyone know how long they take to re-evaluate awards/consider award appeals?
Second'ing this question...does anyone know the answer? Deadlines are creeping up pretty quickly
This! Hopefully someone can chime in
dwc13c

Post by dwc13c »

Can any current students speak to the amount of support that exists for students pursuing clerkships? NYU has some of the lowest clerkship percentages in the t14, which I assume is mostly due to self selection. But are there adequate resources available if that is something I'm interested in doing?
Billy Flynn

Post by Billy Flynn »

I think our clerkship office does a pretty good job. I found them to be extremely responsive and available with my individual questions. It’s never taken more than a couple of hours to get a response from Michelle. And when I’ve faced unique situations, she’s followed up with me without prompting to ask how things went. They also put out a lot of programming and work shops throughout the year on the mechanics of applying. Lots of networking events with current judges.

Like every other top school, we have a lot of data available on past clerkship applicants and interviews. I have found our alum network extremely supportive in answering questions about courts they’ve worked on.

Most importantly imo, the law school creates opportunities for you to be mentored by faculty, and most of the faculty takes mentoring seriously, so you will be able to find letter writers despite our bigness.

Edit: I would add though, notwithstanding these resources, don’t underestimate the amount of personal initiative you’ll have to take, and the strategic decisions you’ll be in charge of making. No one really just gets handed a federal clerkship (except maybe our tippy top Students).
Puff

Post by Puff »

There are definitely resources there, it's more of a matter of self-selection. People typically choose to go into big law or PI, and most of my friends who want to clerk are applying for spots a few years out (and starting at a firm).
Livejustly390

Post by Livejustly390 »

1) Is it difficult living off your student budget loan money in NYC?

2) Because so many students at NYU are pursuing PI, do any PI ever feel like it’s harder to get resources or attention from PI professors since there’s more competition for those things?

3) is it hard to study in your apartment due to the loudness of NYC?

Mostly I’m nervous about living in NYC. I’ve never really lived in a big city before, except when I lived in London studying abroad. But we lived in a super quiet area of London, so studying was never much of an issue. I’m especially nervous about living on a student budget since obviously your money doesn’t go as far in NYC as it would in more college town areas.
Billy Flynn

Post by Billy Flynn »

Re loans, I think the budget they give you is reasonable, so It’s no harder living on Nyu student loans than it is living within a reasonable budget anywhere else in America. Lots of public interest students rep the bar prep companies to supplement.

re noise: I think this is apartment/neighborhood specific. It’s a problem you can avoid with research, so I probably wouldn’t let that factor into your decision too much. I’m sure it’s a problem for lots of New Yorkers, but it’s not an epidemic.

Competition for Faculty attention: Generally I don’t think this is a problem. Plenty of opportunities to get to know faculty and faculty understand it’s part of their job to help guide students to the jobs they want. They really want to help students, especially when it comes to making connections or giving advice. Those are both super low cost to the prof and no biggie.

Relatedly, I think competition for faculty support could get messy and complicated depending on the job you’re going for and which students you are up against in any given year. I think this is probably an uncommon problem in the public interest job market.

To the extent that competition for faculty attention includes acceptance into a clinic, those can be extremely competitive.
phillywc

Post by phillywc »

Livejustly390 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:59 pm 1) Is it difficult living off your student budget loan money in NYC?

2) Because so many students at NYU are pursuing PI, do any PI ever feel like it’s harder to get resources or attention from PI professors since there’s more competition for those things?

Mostly I’m nervous about living in NYC. I’ve never really lived in a big city before, except when I lived in London studying abroad. But we lived in a super quiet area of London, so studying was never much of an issue. I’m especially nervous about living on a student budget since obviously your money doesn’t go as far in NYC as it would in more college town areas.
no. i lived in the school housing all 3 years and was never anywhere close to money stress

i don't think so. i changed to PI late in the game and had no problem getting attention. there are a LOT of resources for pi, and keep in mind 70-80% of people are doing big law despite the schools reuptation.

as i said i lived in the village all 3 years and had no real problems except rarely on fri/sat nights. The library is large if you dont like studying at home but I rarely used it
Naguib

Post by Naguib »

Is NYU firm on the reduction in scholarship in your 3L if you make more than 15k during 2L summer? I assume this is not negotiable?
airwrecka

Post by airwrecka »

Livejustly390 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:59 pm 1) Is it difficult living off your student budget loan money in NYC?

1. I am not living off of loans, but I have many many friends who are and they eat out waaaay more often than I do, so I'm assuming the loans are enough to cover things easily lol. This is very anecdotal evidence, though, so I'd suggest talking to someone else who actually lives off loans. (fwiw, though, I live off my husband's salary and we are doing fine on relatively little -- we live farther away, don't eat out more than once a week, and don't spend money on frivolous crap. it takes effort, but it's totally doable.)

2. NO!!! 1 million times no haha. I remember hearing that rumor from Columbia when I visited there (they said that you should do PI at CLS because there were fewer PI-students and therefore more resources to go around). It's true that NYU is more focused on PI, but I have found everyone, from students to faculty to administrators, to be very supportive of helping all students get the things they need to succeed. (that sounds so cheesy, but it's true, at least in this respect.)

3. Depends on where you live, really. If you're worried about it being loud, you can avoid living in neighborhoods with a super vibrant nightlife. I live in Brooklyn and my apartment building is SO QUIET. It's amazing. Anyway, the same is not true for all parts of the city, but you can easily factor that in when you choose where to live. I spend a lot of time at the law school itself, which is in Greenwich Village, and I've never found it to be too loud outside to focus.

I think the best thing to do for deciding whether you could live in NYC is to visit (if you're able to, of course), and try to stay for more than a day or two. Don't spend your time doing the "touristy things." (because those types of things make me want to run away from NYC as fast as I can screaming. I. Hate. Times. Square.) I took a bus through Brooklyn when I visited NYC just to get a feel for what the borough was like (I had been to NYC but never gone to Brooklyn before) - it is a lot different than Manhattan. Same is true for Queens and the other boroughs. Even different parts of Manhattan are so different from each other, so it's really a good idea to explore different places. Sure, you might hate a certain part of NYC (e.g. Times Square, if you're me) but you could love other parts (I love Prospect Park in Brooklyn, for instance, and Greenwich Village is mostly great).

Generally comment re: faculty interaction. I had breakfast with a professor and retired judge on Monday and beers with a different professor last night. I have had lunch with one of my professors multiple times this year and go to her office just to chat about life fairly often. I'm sure there are exceptions, but overall the professors here really do want to get to know students and provide opportunities to make that happen. The school pays for professors to take 1Ls out for breakfast/lunch, which all but 1 of my professors has done so far. There are lots of office hours. Professors usually will chat with you after or before class if you have a short question.

I just typed a lot because I am avoiding studying, but NYU is great and you should all come :)
Last edited by airwrecka on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NavyNuke

Post by NavyNuke »

Last edited by NavyNuke on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Billy Flynn

Post by Billy Flynn »

In my three years there was once a family with children in the student housing. I don’t know the details though.
2021Hopeful!

Post by 2021Hopeful! »

How do first-semester class assignments work? Do you choose your fall courses?
sorence

Post by sorence »

2021Hopeful! wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm How do first-semester class assignments work? Do you choose your fall courses?
You're assigned to a roughly 90 person section, and your fall classes are predetermined. Pretty sure you get this assignment late July/early August. Everyone takes Civil Procedure, Contracts, and one of Torts/Criminal Law; you're in those three classes with the same 90 people all of fall. Also that 90 person group is split into smaller groups of 25-30 for your Lawyering (research/writing) course, which lasts all of 1L.

In Spring you take Criminal Law/Torts (whatever you didn't take in Fall), Legislation and the Regulatory State, and an elective (which you select from 6 or so choices).
2021Hopeful!

Post by 2021Hopeful! »

sorence wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:37 am
2021Hopeful! wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm How do first-semester class assignments work? Do you choose your fall courses?
You're assigned to a roughly 90 person section, and your fall classes are predetermined. Pretty sure you get this assignment late July/early August. Everyone takes Civil Procedure, Contracts, and one of Torts/Criminal Law; you're in those three classes with the same 90 people all of fall. Also that 90 person group is split into smaller groups of 25-30 for your Lawyering (research/writing) course, which lasts all of 1L.

In Spring you take Criminal Law/Torts (whatever you didn't take in Fall), Legislation and the Regulatory State, and an elective (which you select from 6 or so choices).
Thank you!
Goatsincoats

Post by Goatsincoats »

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on named scholarships (such as RTK or Furman) at NYU, at least in my experience of the admissions process and marketing. Does this affect the culture?
Puff

Post by Puff »

Goatsincoats wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:00 pm There seems to be a lot of emphasis on named scholarships (such as RTK or Furman) at NYU, at least in my experience of the admissions process and marketing. Does this affect the culture?
No, it's really just an admissions thing. People don't usually know or care who has which scholarship (although if you have a named scholarship you might know the other recipients of that scholarship through various events you attend).
Billy Flynn

Post by Billy Flynn »

Slytherpuff wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:49 pm
Goatsincoats wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:00 pm There seems to be a lot of emphasis on named scholarships (such as RTK or Furman) at NYU, at least in my experience of the admissions process and marketing. Does this affect the culture?
No, it's really just an admissions thing. People don't usually know or care who has which scholarship (although if you have a named scholarship you might know the other recipients of that scholarship through various events you attend).
Almost universally, people with scholarships don't talk about their scholarships. It's like being in the mafia.

Professors and administrators don't treat people with scholarships any differently in class or just about any other context.

As a 0L/fall 1L, the scholarships can seem important, but by January 1L, grades are the only system of distinction that really matter.
qualitative

Post by qualitative »

Hey! I'm figuring out where to live next year and considering either campus housing or somewhere in Brooklyn (where I'm living now). However, I have a cat, and I see that there is a "no pets" rule for the campus housing. Is this a hard and fast rule, or do they turn a blind eye to small/nondisruptive furry friends?
sorence

Post by sorence »

qualitative wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:07 pm Hey! I'm figuring out where to live next year and considering either campus housing or somewhere in Brooklyn (where I'm living now). However, I have a cat, and I see that there is a "no pets" rule for the campus housing. Is this a hard and fast rule, or do they turn a blind eye to small/nondisruptive furry friends?
PMing you (people feel free to reach out on this if you want the info too).
Goatsincoats

Post by Goatsincoats »

Do students have access to a fitness center? Are there classes available?
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

How have student's experiences been living in on campus housing? Would you recommend?
Bork

Post by Bork »

Anyone have thoughts on commuting from New Jersey as a 1L?
kgund77

Post by kgund77 »

Hi guys! Recently committed to NYU and looking at on-campus housing options. Definitely will live on campus for 1L, but wondering abut the differences between D'Ag and Hayden. Hayden is significantly more expensive per semester than D'Agostino—is this just because the rooms are a bit bigger? How significant is this difference? Would you recommend one vs. the other?