NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
cavalier1138

Re: NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:42 pm
negusdahabesha wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:15 pm
Slytherpuff wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:20 pm
I never used a broker in NYC, I know they're helpful especially if you're on a time crunch, but you can absolutely find a place without one. I think unfortunately 80x is more common than 40x, but that would be your combined income. You can also have a guarantor if you absolutely need one (although you're often limited to using a guarantor that's in the area).

Any helpful tips or reliable websites to use if you're trying to avoid using a broker? And how do students not from the New York area generally handle the guarantor thing then? I don't have any family over there and 80x New York City rent is a lot of money...
I just used Craigslist, Streeteasy, or Zillow when I was looking at apartments. Sometimes the apartment will be listed by a broker anyway and you still might get roped into paying their fees, but you can still try. The guarantor thing is rough. I mostly stuck with places on Craigslist where I didn't need one, but my one stint in an apartment where I needed a guarantor was thankfully on the lower end of the spectrum and didn't require someone local, so my dad just barely made enough to qualify. If they ask for 80x guarantor, I'd talk to them about your situation and let them know the kind of financial aid money/loans you have coming in. Maybe they'll waive it, maybe you'll just have to find an apartment that doesn't have an insanely high guarantor requirement.

Did anyone on here have luck negotiating about their guarantor?
I was able to use an out-of-state guarantor (parent). I think it probably fell into the "lower end of the spectrum" you're talking about. But if I remember correctly, there are guarantors-for-hire in NYC, because of course there are.

NYUBound

Post by NYUBound » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:21 am

negusdahabesha wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:15 pm
Slytherpuff wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:20 pm
I never used a broker in NYC, I know they're helpful especially if you're on a time crunch, but you can absolutely find a place without one. I think unfortunately 80x is more common than 40x, but that would be your combined income. You can also have a guarantor if you absolutely need one (although you're often limited to using a guarantor that's in the area).

Any helpful tips or reliable websites to use if you're trying to avoid using a broker? And how do students not from the New York area generally handle the guarantor thing then? I don't have any family over there and 80x New York City rent is a lot of money...
Another note on guarantors - I've heard that people sometimes negotiate paying extra months up-front in exchange for waiving the guarantor requirement. In theory, prepaying a semester wouldn't be a problem since we get our loans each semester in a single disbursement, though 1) this doesn't come til late August, and 2) you'd have to be extra careful about getting scammed. Alternatively, there are companies that will sign as a guarantor for ~1 month's rent if you have good credit.

I ended up doing a sublet this year and it's worked out really well. Few subleases will ask for a guarantor or anything. Found mine on Craigslist, but you can also use roomiapp.com. There are some others (Roomster?) but I didn't find much luck with them.

George Marshall

Post by George Marshall » Thu May 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Anyone know approximately when incoming 1Ls can expect to get housing assignments? Will be emailed about it or do we need to check the housing platform? I haven't been able to find this on the internet anywhere. Thanks!

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri May 31, 2019 11:06 am

George Marshall wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:41 pm
Anyone know approximately when incoming 1Ls can expect to get housing assignments? Will be emailed about it or do we need to check the housing platform? I haven't been able to find this on the internet anywhere. Thanks!
Way back in 2014 I received mine over email on June 11th, but I'm not sure if that's still the trend five years later. You'll definitely be emailed yours though!

industwetrust

Post by industwetrust » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Haven't been around much because 1L is enough on it's own, but rising 2L checking in, happy to answer questions. I love it here.

negusdahabesha

Post by negusdahabesha » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Now that class schedules have been released, when is it appropriate to start asking about professors? Asking for a friend...

industwetrust

Post by industwetrust » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 pm

negusdahabesha wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 pm
Now that class schedules have been released, when is it appropriate to start asking about professors? Asking for a friend...
I'll help with what I can, fire away

negusdahabesha

Post by negusdahabesha » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:09 pm

Any insights on Nueborne or Gillette? Also is it a decent strategy to prioritize black letter law classes over P/F lawyering?

industwetrust

Post by industwetrust » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:58 am

negusdahabesha wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:09 pm
Any insights on Nueborne or Gillette? Also is it a decent strategy to prioritize black letter law classes over P/F lawyering?
Have heard generically good things about both, particularly Gillette. And yes, Lawyering will take tons of your time regardless but you shouldn't make it a priority at all. You'll learn a lot if you put in a decent amount of effort, but I wouldn't kill yourself working on that class, which it is very very possible to do. The weeks where Lawyering is busy will make you feel like you're drowning as it is, so trying to smoothen that out will be helpful to you. But the only time you should be prioritizing it are when you have a major assignment due and you literally don't have enough of it done to turn it in. Which happens to quite a few people at one point or another.

NYUBound

Post by NYUBound » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 am

+1 to the above. Keep in mind that the research and writing assignments in Lawyering are probably the most relevant things you'll do in 1L for developing skills you'll actually use as a lawyer, at least if you litigate. Some people totally write the class off, but there's real value to doing the work. I probably put in 85% of the time I would have if the class were graded and felt reasonably pleased with the work I produced.

Also, for anyone curious about professors, you should have access to Course Evals now! https://its.law.nyu.edu/courseeval/inde ... udent.main