NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Gorrest_Fump

Re: NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Post by Gorrest_Fump » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 pm

I've looked through NYU's viewbook and there is some talk of the various academic centers/institutes--i.e., Brennan Center for Justice, Center on Law and Security, Center for Research in Crime and Justice etc.

What do these centers do? How do they contribute to the intellectual experience of an average student? Are they good for networking?

sorence

Post by sorence » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Gorrest_Fump wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 pm
I've looked through NYU's viewbook and there is some talk of the various academic centers/institutes--i.e., Brennan Center for Justice, Center on Law and Security, Center for Research in Crime and Justice etc.

What do these centers do? How do they contribute to the intellectual experience of an average student? Are they good for networking?
Consider this only a partial answer because I've only had limited involvement with them. I know that certain scholarship recipients (e.g., Vanderbilt) are guaranteed 1L summer employment with a center if they so wish (a research position, I believe). They also host lectures and luncheons on their respective topics all the time- some of my favorite talks this year have been hosted by the Brennan Center. Certain professors are affiliated with them and churn out research through them that may affect discussion with RAs/TAs/students; I know that Burt Neuborne is p active with the Brennan Center.

That's about where my knowledge ends, although I'm sure someone else can add more.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm

sorence wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:14 pm
Gorrest_Fump wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Consider this only a partial answer because I've only had limited involvement with them. I know that certain scholarship recipients (e.g., Vanderbilt) are guaranteed 1L summer employment with a center if they so wish (a research position, I believe). They also host lectures and luncheons on their respective topics all the time- some of my favorite talks this year have been hosted by the Brennan Center. Certain professors are affiliated with them and churn out research through them that may affect discussion with RAs/TAs/students; I know that Burt Neuborne is p active with the Brennan Center.

That's about where my knowledge ends, although I'm sure someone else can add more.
This is all correct. The centers primarily offer research opportunities during school and potential fellowships after graduation. So if there's a particular project you're interested in, you can reach out to the faculty involved in that project and ask how to get involved. There are pretty regular notices about open research positions at all these places, and your interest in the subject area is likely to play a large role in getting a position with many of the institutes/centers.

Gorrest_Fump

Post by Gorrest_Fump » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Which of the following living arrangements would you recommend to incoming 1Ls and why:

1. D’Agostino Hall
2. Hayden Hall
3. 130 MacDougal Street
4. Off-Campus housing

E. Do you recommend a meal plan?

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Gorrest_Fump wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:33 pm
Which of the following living arrangements would you recommend to incoming 1Ls and why:

1. D’Agostino Hall
2. Hayden Hall
3. 130 MacDougal Street
4. Off-Campus housing

For at least your first year, living on campus can be helpful. You're super close to your classes and most of your classmates will also be living in D'ag/Hayden, so it's easier to socialize or study that way.

D'agostino - This is cheaper and closer to campus, but the rooms are smaller. They're a bit older than Hayden. I lived here for my 1L year and really enjoyed it, especially that 30 second commute to class.
Hayden - This is a little further from campus and more expensive, but the rooms are a lot bigger and most of them are renovated. I lived here for 2L year and also liked it a lot. It's about a 7-minute walk from campus, so still super convenient.
130 MacDougal - I think this is family housing only?
Off-campus - If you're familiar with NYC, it can be a great way to save money. If you don't know the city as well or are nervous about apartment hunting, maybe wait a year or so. You can always move off campus for 2L or 3L year.

Absolutely do not get a meal plan. Pretty much only undergrads get these. If you live on campus, you can go home for lunch between classes. There's also a cafe in each law school building with affordable prices where you can grab food.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 pm

Everything Slytherpuff said is correct, but I'd add that it's correct if you are single. If you're going to be living with someone, you should really look into off-campus options. The on-campus housing is extremely expensive for what you get, especially in comparison to easily commutable neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

ccaa123

Post by ccaa123 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:47 am

I have a question about filling out the financial aid application for NYU for current students or those who've already filled it out to matriculate next year:

I'm 99.9% certain I won't get need-based aid. I don't make much at all, but I live at home with my parents who make over 250k. I should clarify that I'm not mad about this...I grew up with plenty of privilege and shouldn't be taking resources from those with greater need. That said, do I lose out on anything by just filling out the merit based app (option D on the NYU financial aid app site)? Should I fill out the one for need and merit anyway? One of the issues is that, I think, we need to include 2017 tax info for the need and merit, and my parents won't be filing for a while. I can do mine quite quickly but my parents won't be ready. Obviously, time is of the essence as I continue to weigh options and, potentially, negotiate.

Gorrest_Fump

Post by Gorrest_Fump » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:48 pm
Gorrest_Fump wrote:

1. D’Agostino Hall
2. Hayden Hall
3. 130 MacDougal Street
4. Off-Campus housing

For at least your first year, living on campus can be helpful. You're super close to your classes and most of your classmates will also be living in D'ag/Hayden, so it's easier to socialize or study that way.

D'agostino - This is cheaper and closer to campus, but the rooms are smaller. They're a bit older than Hayden. I lived here for my 1L year and really enjoyed it, especially that 30 second commute to class.
Hayden - This is a little further from campus and more expensive, but the rooms are a lot bigger and most of them are renovated. I lived here for 2L year and also liked it a lot. It's about a 7-minute walk from campus, so still super convenient.
Off-campus - If you're familiar with NYC, it can be a great way to save money. If you don't know the city as well or are nervous about apartment hunting, maybe wait a year or so. You can always move off campus for 2L or 3L year.

Absolutely do not get a meal plan. Pretty much only undergrads get these. If you live on campus, you can go home for lunch between classes. There's also a cafe in each law school building with affordable prices where you can grab food.
Thanks for the info!

NYUBound

Post by NYUBound » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 am

Last edited by NYUBound on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSolano

Post by RSolano » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:50 pm

RSolano wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm
Did anyone choose NYU over Columbia? If so I'd be interested to know what your decision process was like, what you think the major differences are, and how happy you've been with your decision. Thanks!

Billy Flynn

Post by Billy Flynn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 pm

RSolano wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:50 pm
[quote=RSolano post_id=15594 time=<a href="tel:1517596116">1517596116</a> user_id=839]
Did anyone choose NYU over Columbia? If so I'd be interested to know what your decision process was like, what you think the major differences are, and how happy you've been with your decision. Thanks!
[/quote]Honestly, I chose NYU because they gave me more money than Columbia. All things being equal, the public interest community and clinics would have made me go to NYU.

However, With schools like NYU and Columbia, you have an equally good chance of breaking into big law or a PI job. The two faculties are generally just as talented as the other, although if you’re interested in some super niche area, you might choose one school over the other. The career services people are just as helpful.

Honestly, this has always seemed like a coke or Pepsi situation.

sandwich_26

Post by sandwich_26 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Do you guys have any advice on when one should move to NYC to find off campus housing? I was thinking of moving sometime in July trying to find a lease that starts August 1st- is this too early/late? I have no experience with the NYC rental market so I'm a little nervous

girlworm

Post by girlworm » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 pm

sandwich_26 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm
Do you guys have any advice on when one should move to NYC to find off campus housing? I was thinking of moving sometime in July trying to find a lease that starts August 1st- is this too early/late? I have no experience with the NYC rental market so I'm a little nervous
i only know brooklyn but that sounds fine based on my experience. just come over in mid july and give yourself a week or two to find a spot.

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:53 pm

sandwich_26 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm
New York is weird compared to other markets because for the most part, you can't secure a lease more than two weeks in advance of move-in. I came from Boston, where you could basically year-round get leases starting in June, September, or December, but New York landlords don't want to leave apartments open AT ALL. If you want an August 1 lease date, you have to look mid-July (I was in the same position).

The other piece of advice I would give is to give yourself time if you're going to try to do it on your own. If you're only coming in one weekend to house hunt, I'd recommend finding a broker who can line up a string of showings for you. A good broker is worth their weight in gold (if you PM me, I can give you the info for mine, who I've proceeded to recommend to a half-dozen friends and who continues to deliver). If you want to avoid the broker's fee and look through StreetEasy no-fee listings on your own, just know it'll take longer, you might need to be ok with sticking around for a week and running to a showing whenever the broker is available to show, and the experience can be very frustrating.

Happy to chat about this more over PM!

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:55 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:48 pm
Gorrest_Fump wrote:

1. D’Agostino Hall
2. Hayden Hall
3. 130 MacDougal Street
4. Off-Campus housing

There's also MealPal around NYU for your convenience!

ccaa123

Post by ccaa123 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:35 am

Any idea how long it takes for them to process financial aid apps? I submitted a week ago (just merit; not need-based), so when can I expect an answer (approximately)?

Naguib

Post by Naguib » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:55 pm

ccaa123 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:35 am
Any idea how long it takes for them to process financial aid apps? I submitted a week ago (just merit; not need-based), so when can I expect an answer (approximately)?
They say about two weeks on their website

ContigoMontoya

Post by ContigoMontoya » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Naguib wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:55 pm
ccaa123 wrote:
I'm on week 3 ugh Hah-neef pls

ccaa123

Post by ccaa123 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:05 pm

ContigoMontoya wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm
Naguib wrote:
ccaa123 wrote:
Thanks! And another question...when I submitted, I only listed one other school that I was seriously considering. I've since been accepted to two other T14s, and one offered me a generous scholarship (Mich with over 100k). Is it weird for me to contact NYU and add to my list of other schools under consideration? Is that helpful or just money grubbing :?

ContigoMontoya

Post by ContigoMontoya » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 pm

ccaa123 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:05 pm
ContigoMontoya wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm
Naguib wrote:
ccaa123 wrote:
Thanks! And another question...when I submitted, I only listed one school that I was seriously considering. i've since been accepted to two other T14s, and one offered me a generous scholarship (Mich with over 100k). Is it weird for me to contact NYU and add to my list of other schools under consideration? Is that helpful or just money grubbing :?
Was just thinking about this. I think I'm going to wait for an offer and use it for the re-evaluation email.

ccaa123

Post by ccaa123 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am

ContigoMontoya wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 pm
[quote=ccaa123 post_id=44270 time=<a href="tel:1519243535">1519243535</a> user_id=1502]
[quote=ContigoMontoya post_id=43986 time=<a href="tel:1519235865">1519235865</a> user_id=234]
[quote=Naguib post_id=43981 time=<a href="tel:1519235729">1519235729</a> user_id=365]
[quote=ccaa123 post_id=43780 time=<a href="tel:1519230927">1519230927</a> user_id=1502]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks! And another question...when I submitted, I only listed one school that I was seriously considering. i've since been accepted to two other T14s, and one offered me a generous scholarship (Mich with over 100k). Is it weird for me to contact NYU and add to my list of other schools under consideration? Is that helpful or just money grubbing :?
[/quote]

Was just thinking about this. I think I'm going to wait for an offer and use it for the re-evaluation email.
[/quote]

Probably a smart move. I think I’ll follow suit and hope for the best. Good luck to you all!

sandwich_26

Post by sandwich_26 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Are there any pro bono/student let projects that 1Ls can participate in?
Thanks for answering all our questions!

ContigoMontoya

Post by ContigoMontoya » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:11 pm

Anyone familiar with the IILJ Joyce Lowinson Scholarship Program? Would love a PM!

theboringest

Post by theboringest » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:17 am

Hi all! Was wondering about the comments re: anti prosecutor attitude. Is it a big deal? If you were someone interested in pursuing that type of thing would you see that as a serious deterrent?

sorence

Post by sorence » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:27 pm

theboringest wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:17 am
Hi all! Was wondering about the comments re: anti prosecutor attitude. Is it a big deal? If you were someone interested in pursuing that type of thing would you see that as a serious deterrent?
I have plenty of friends going that route, so no- I wouldn't say it's a heavy deterrent! I've perceived it as something that a select few hold onto pervasively, and that a handful more only loosely agree with. It's a bias that, when believed in, is v strong; but it's also a bias that isn't held by many. I've heard it more during interviews with PD offices (i.e., I've been asked directly "have you ever considered being a prosecutor")/discussions with practicing attorneys than I have from anyone at NYU.