NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
hotdog

Re: NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Post by hotdog » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Any idea as to when we could expect our schedules/sections to be released? Says before orientation online, but when was it in years past?

sorence

Post by sorence » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:39 pm

hotdog wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:55 pm
Any idea as to when we could expect our schedules/sections to be released? Says before orientation online, but when was it in years past?
I got mine exactly a year ago today, actually. Keep an eye out on Albert, I'd guess it'll be sometime over the next week or two.

sandwich_26

Post by sandwich_26 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:50 pm

hotdog wrote:
hotdog, my fall schedule is on albert, yours probably is too.

On a related note, does anyone have any tips/info on Professors Davis, Sprigman, or Sexton? I have them this semester and was hoping to get an idea of what to expect from them.

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:44 pm

sandwich_26 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:50 pm
hotdog wrote:

On a related note, does anyone have any tips/info on Professors Davis, Sprigman, or Sexton? I have them this semester and was hoping to get an idea of what to expect from them.
I don’t think either Davis or Sexton taught 1Ls last year. I would recommend circulating questions about professors on the Coases list serv, as soon as you can sign up for it.

GloriousMess

Post by GloriousMess » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 am

Any personal feedback on Miller for Procedure? I did find the course evaluations page on the site, and he seemed to get mixed reviews.

There were more than a few comments that he seemed a bit hostile to women and minorities, and I happen to fall in both groups...

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:12 am

GloriousMess wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 am
Any personal feedback on Miller for Procedure? I did find the course evaluations page on the site, and he seemed to get mixed reviews.

There were more than a few comments that he seemed a bit hostile to women and minorities, and I happen to fall in both groups...
Which Miller? Geoff Miller was on sabbatical this past year, but my TA had generally good things to say about him. Arthur Miller is a Civ Pro legend (though I don’t think he’s teaching 1Ls this year) and a lot of his quotes ended up plastered on the walls during #RacismLivesHereToo week.

airwrecka

Post by airwrecka » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:39 am

sandwich_26 wrote:
hotdog wrote:

I had Sprigman for Torts and I LOVED him. I'm pretty sure my entire section loved him. He is an extremely engaging and fun lecturer, very clear, very fair. Really nothing bad to say about him. He does not use power points or any visual aids, but he was always so organized that I didn't feel like we needed something like that. His exam was also VERY straightforward. He's a great professor to have your first semester of law school.

GloriousMess

Post by GloriousMess » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:28 pm

sittykitty wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:12 am
GloriousMess wrote:

Which Miller? Geoff Miller was on sabbatical this past year, but my TA had generally good things to say about him. Arthur Miller is a Civ Pro legend (though I don’t think he’s teaching 1Ls this year) and a lot of his quotes ended up plastered on the walls during #RacismLivesHereToo week.
I mixed up my Millers, you are right! I have Geoff Miller, not Arthur Miller. Thank you!!!

Dante181

Post by Dante181 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:25 pm

GloriousMess wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:28 pm
sittykitty wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:12 am
GloriousMess wrote:

I mixed up my Millers, you are right! I have Geoff Miller, not Arthur Miller. Thank you!!!
I had Geoff Miller as a 1L and was basically satisfied with him. Funny guy and a clear lecturer, though not particularly passionate about civil procedure (his specialty is more in corporations). Also quite low-pressure when it comes to cold-calling; even if you're completely off the mark, he'll just redirect it to whatever point he wants to make with "What I hear you saying is [X]" or "What I think you're getting at is [X]." Note that the first case you'll get assigned, Pennoyer v. Neff, is both notoriously dense and something that Miller likes to spend a signifiant amount of time on at the beginning of the semester. Don't feel concerned or anxious if you don't really understand it--it's very outdated and isn't something that is going to be especially relevant to the exam.

industwetrust

Post by industwetrust » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:02 pm

sandwich_26 wrote:
hotdog wrote:

I've got the same - looks like we might be sharing some classes! :)

profdogwalker

Post by profdogwalker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:06 pm

is there a class of 2021 fb group?

sorence

Post by sorence » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:09 pm

profdogwalker wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:06 pm
is there a class of 2021 fb group?
pm'd

qualitative

Post by qualitative » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:03 pm

Where did people find course evals? I have been looking but haven't been able to find them.

sorence

Post by sorence » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:47 pm

qualitative wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:03 pm
Where did people find course evals? I have been looking but haven't been able to find them.
http://www.law.nyu.edu/academicservices ... valuations

qualitative

Post by qualitative » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:37 pm

sorence wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:47 pm
qualitative wrote:
Ahh thanks! I kept trying the Albert link, which... wasn't working

sorence

Post by sorence » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:04 pm

qualitative wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:37 pm
sorence wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:47 pm
qualitative wrote:
Ahh thanks! I kept trying the Albert link, which... wasn't working
np! You'll soon find that NYU's online interface is endlessly frustrating.

sandwich_26

Post by sandwich_26 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:23 pm

airwrecka wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:39 am
sandwich_26 wrote:
hotdog wrote:

I had Sprigman for Torts and I LOVED him. I'm pretty sure my entire section loved him. He is an extremely engaging and fun lecturer, very clear, very fair. Really nothing bad to say about him. He does not use power points or any visual aids, but he was always so organized that I didn't feel like we needed something like that. His exam was also VERY straightforward. He's a great professor to have your first semester of law school.
Wow that's great to hear! Thank you!
Also, the previous version of my civil procedure book is about $150 cheaper than the new version. Would it be a terrible idea to buy the old version and just use the library copy for anything that might not be included?

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Definitely do not buy older versions of casebooks. Sometimes the law changes (even in Civ Pro). The pages will be different for the cases you're reading. The notes will change. The professor will call on you in class and may refer to a specific page, and you'll be left unable to respond to their question. Just save yourself the stress and buy the current edition. Casebooks are crazy expensive but you just have to suck it up and buy them (at least for 1L).

thecatandthehat

Post by thecatandthehat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:43 pm

For one of my classes, the assigned reader just updated to the 2018 version. Thankfully, I hadn't already purchased this book but I'm curious as to when it is "safe" to be sure that the assigned materials won't change?

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:03 pm

thecatandthehat wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:43 pm
For one of my classes, the assigned reader just updated to the 2018 version. Thankfully, I hadn't already purchased this book but I'm curious as to when it is "safe" to be sure that the assigned materials won't change?
It's a tough call! Maybe wait until orientation to buy the books if possible? Although I would be very surprised if another professor updated their book. You can also check Amazon to see if all of your books are the latest edition - if one of them has a new edition coming out soon (or that just came out), maybe wait a little longer for that book in particular. The others (ones that are the latest edition with no new one coming out anytime soon) should be safe to purchase already.

Any other alumni/current students have experience with professors swapping out books right before class and care to weigh in?

profdogwalker

Post by profdogwalker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 am

On Albert, 3/4 of my classes have 004 following them. Can I safely assume this means I am in section 4?

sorence

Post by sorence » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 am

profdogwalker wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 am
On Albert, 3/4 of my classes have 004 following them. Can I safely assume this means I am in section 4?
Yep, that's what that means! The last one without 004 should (I assume) be your lawyering section.

profdogwalker

Post by profdogwalker » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:46 am

sorence wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 am
profdogwalker wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 am
Yep, that's what that means! The last one without 004 should (I assume) be your lawyering section.
yes! it has a completely random number

sandwich_26

Post by sandwich_26 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:58 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place to get casebooks cut and bound?

sorence

Post by sorence » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:17 pm

sandwich_26 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:58 am
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place to get casebooks cut and bound?
The printing place on La Guardia does it (Advanced Copy Center? Something like that), and I'm pretty sure they give a NYU discount.