NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
cavalier1138

NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 am

ITT, encounter the rarest of forum posters: the elusive NYU student. Outside their natural habitat of [Insert Protest Here], NYU students are sometimes willing to answer questions before retreating into the dense underbrush of Washington Square Park.

brut

Re: NYU Students/Grads Taking Questions

Post by brut » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:54 am

checking in

sorence

Post by sorence » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:40 pm

checking in!

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:35 pm

brut wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:54 am
checking in
Are you the real brut?

sittykitty

Post by sittykitty » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Checking in :D

Gorrest_Fump

Post by Gorrest_Fump » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Did any of you find it difficult to secure a spot in your desired clinic? I worry that the large number of students interested in PI might translate into a competitive environment when it comes to obtaining clinical experience.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Gorrest_Fump wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm
Did any of you find it difficult to secure a spot in your desired clinic? I worry that the large number of students interested in PI might translate into a competitive environment when it comes to obtaining clinical experience.
Some of the clinics (Global Justice and EJW are the two that immediately spring to mind) can be competitive due to limited slots. But as long as you aren't only gunning for one of those, you'll have the chance to get experience. If I remember correctly, both SDNY and EDNY clinics had additional slots after the first round of clinic assignments this year. No one in my section who applied for more than one clinic ended up with nothing.

ETA: And just to clarify, most people I know got assigned to their top choice.

Gorrest_Fump

Post by Gorrest_Fump » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 pm
Gorrest_Fump wrote:
Some of the clinics (Global Justice and EJW are the two that immediately spring to mind) can be competitive due to limited slots. But as long as you aren't only gunning for one of those, you'll have the chance to get experience. If I remember correctly, both SDNY and EDNY clinics had additional slots after the first round of clinic assignments this year. No one in my section who applied for more than one clinic ended up with nothing.

ETA: And just to clarify, most people I know got assigned to their top choice.
Thanks!

brut

Post by brut » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 am

Gorrest_Fump wrote:
agree w/ cav. and if you don't get in, let the prof know you're interested. people may drop, slots may open. i got into one clinic through talking to prof, outside of the usual process for applying

Quintus

Post by Quintus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi all,

NYU seems to be eeking out a victory over Berkeley for me--help me confirm my intuition!

Does NYU live up to the hype of being focused on the academics of law?

I just got the viewbook yesterday and many of the people profiled were doing really cool stuff w.r.t. administrative law and statutory interpretation in & out of government. That's basically my dream path, broadly defined, and I'm curious how well the school actually supports it in terms of how you're indoctrinated to think about the law.

What made you choose NYU outside of financial factors?
Where did you pass up for NYU?
What's something you wish you had known about the school before you accepted your offer?

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:27 pm

Quintus wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm
I just got the viewbook yesterday and many of the people profiled were doing really cool stuff w.r.t. administrative law and statutory interpretation in & out of government. That's basically my dream path, broadly defined, and I'm curious how well the school actually supports it in terms of how you're indoctrinated to think about the law.
That's kind of a weird way of phrasing your goals. What do you actually want to do with your degree?

But to answer your question: NYU teaches you the same way that literally any other law school will teach you. It's entirely professor-dependent, and we have just as many law and economics professors as the next school. The problem is that academic style/"rigor" isn't really something to consider when looking at a school. Focus on which school is setting you up for the job you want. If that's academia, then NYU is going to hold its own against most schools that aren't HYS.
Quintus wrote:
What's something you wish you had known about the school before you accepted your offer?
-Strong public service career support and academic year opportunities.
-A few peer schools, but it mostly came down to money.
-Even though PILC (the center that helps with PI careers) is great, there's an institutional bias against anyone who even thinks about prosecution as a viable career path. It's totally doable, and there are lots of resources. But the only government counselor is kind of separate from the rest of the advising group.

Quintus

Post by Quintus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:27 pm

That's kind of a weird way of phrasing your goals. What do you actually want to do with your degree?
I bring up my point about rigor because I know a couple people who chose NYU over Harvard/Columbia/Chicago based on its reputation as a school that develops theoretical frameworks that support the public interest. But you're right, it is weird. Basically I am going to law school because I want to work adjacent to administrative rulemaking--whether I'm helping write the rules or challenging them. I'm withholding judgment on a specific practice area until I get more exposure in law school, but I've had experience with admin rulemaking from a couple of perspectives and find it extremely cool.

thank you for your feedback!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:38 pm

Quintus wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:

I bring up my point about rigor because I know a couple people who chose NYU over Harvard/Columbia/Chicago based on its reputation as a school that develops theoretical frameworks that support the public interest. But you're right, it is weird. Basically I am going to law school because I want to work adjacent to administrative rulemaking--whether I'm helping write the rules or challenging them. I'm withholding judgment on a specific practice area until I get more exposure in law school, but I've had experience with admin rulemaking from a couple of perspectives and find it extremely cool.

thank you for your feedback!
I mean, you can definitely get the education and opportunities you need to work as a legal adviser at an agency from NYU. You'll be in a decent position to get hired at an agency for you 1L summer. DC firms are reachable from NYU. And there's a DC clinic specifically focused on admin law.

I'm not sure that there's any group out there (actually, now that I think about it, I'm sure there's some 3-person libertarian cabal that does exactly this) that just exists to challenge every rule it sees, so it sounds like you should be focusing on government work and potentially on the few years of firm work that will be needed to get into some agencies.

sorence

Post by sorence » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:06 pm

Quintus wrote:
Just to add another perspective:
- I knew that NYU would offer me some of the best PI opportunities out there, so it's where I wanted to be. Both the resources available to graduates (e.g., LRAP) as well as the variety/quality of clinics to participate in while in school were huge draws.
- Nothing substantial, a few peer schools with minimal/low scholarships. I was a super splitter aiming for NYU, so when I got in I withdraw from all other waitlists and committed.
- Nothing comes to mind, although I'd second cavalier's input on the anti-prosecutor trend. tbh I was dead-set on NYU from the day I contemplated law school, so when it came down to accepting my offer there wasn't much more to consider.

Gorrest_Fump

Post by Gorrest_Fump » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:07 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Quintus wrote:

But to answer your question: NYU teaches you the same way that literally any other law school will teach you. It's entirely professor-dependent, and we have just as many law and economics professors as the next school. The problem is that academic style/"rigor" isn't really something to consider when looking at a school. Focus on which school is setting you up for the job you want. If that's academia, then NYU is going to hold its own against most schools that aren't HYS.
Quintus wrote:
-Strong public service career support and academic year opportunities.
-A few peer schools, but it mostly came down to money.
-Even though PILC (the center that helps with PI careers) is great, there's an institutional bias against anyone who even thinks about prosecution as a viable career path. It's totally doable, and there are lots of resources. But the only government counselor is kind of separate from the rest of the advising group.
Do you think that the RTK folks will count an applicant's interest in prosecution work against him/her? I'd like to think I gave a pretty compelling reason for wanting to be a prosecutor in my RTK essay and am now wondering if I might have offended NYU's sensibilities.

Tsuga

Post by Tsuga » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:31 pm

If anyone is pursuing or going into union-side labor or plaintiff-side employment law, I'd love to hear about what your experience has been like at NYU.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm

How does NYU place into PI positions outside of NYC? Do students have trouble getting to DC and Chicago?

avymlkqpdxh

Post by avymlkqpdxh » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:49 pm

How does NYU do in CA? Would it be insane to go to NYU over Berkeley with the goal of CA (with ties)?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Echos Myron wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm
How does NYU place into PI positions outside of NYC? Do students have trouble getting to DC and Chicago?
avymlkqpdxh wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:49 pm
How does NYU do in CA? Would it be insane to go to NYU over Berkeley with the goal of CA (with ties)?
NYU places very well outside of NYC. DC and California are completely doable. Chicago might require some ties, but that's the nature of most secondary markets.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Gorrest_Fump wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:07 pm
Do you think that the RTK folks will count an applicant's interest in prosecution work against him/her? I'd like to think I gave a pretty compelling reason for wanting to be a prosecutor in my RTK essay and am now wondering if I might have offended NYU's sensibilities.
PM'd you.

sorence

Post by sorence » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 pm

avymlkqpdxh wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:49 pm
I felt comfortable enough with NYU's placement in CA to choose it knowing full well I'd likely be hopping back to the west coast ASAP. It's completely doable, especially if you have ties to the region. Ties are definitely not necessary though- I know a handful of people who are angling for CA sans-ties and none of them are worried.

RSolano

Post by RSolano » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Did anyone choose NYU over Columbia? If so I'd be interested to know what your decision process was like, what you think the major differences are, and how happy you've been with your decision. Thanks!

girlworm

Post by girlworm » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 pm

can anyone weigh in their experience living in the dorms vs living off campus? i'll probably commute from brooklyn to save money but i'm worried it'll limit my access to campus life.

how was your experience with need-based fin aid at NYU? my (wealthy) parents aren't paying for law school, but i'm in my early 20s so i have to report their info for aid. am i just totally out of luck here?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:45 pm

girlworm wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 pm
can anyone weigh in their experience living in the dorms vs living off campus? i'll probably commute from brooklyn to save money but i'm worried it'll limit my access to campus life.

how was your experience with need-based fin aid at NYU? my (wealthy) parents aren't paying for law school, but i'm in my early 20s so i have to report their info for aid. am i just totally out of luck here?
Living off-campus doesn't limit your access to social events very much. Most events happen during the week, so you'll already be on campus.

And as far as I know, NYU doesn't formally separate need and merit aid. So I don't know if anyone would be able to definitively speak to cutoffs. That said, need-based aid is extremely rare outside of HYS, so it's a bit of a moot point. You should focus on merit aid, because that's likely to be your only real source of scholarship funding.

CarpeDiem18

Post by CarpeDiem18 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi Everyone! I'm attending an NYU admitted student/alumni reception this week at a hotel in San Francisco. I'm wondering what attire is appropriate. Should I wear a suit, or are these events more casual?Thanks in advance!