Dropping Out and Reapplying

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
blueapple

Re: Dropping Out and Reapplying

Post by blueapple » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:28 pm

should i merge this thread with the car thread now?

WEED_QUESTIONER_420

Post by WEED_QUESTIONER_420 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:06 pm

jeff chiles wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:18 pm
idk like if your lease is up and you need a car, and you really want the AMG model and can swing the added cost, but due to allocation/supply issues you can’t get one for maybe another year so you settle for the still very nice, less exciting model, I can see being a little bummed knowing that you settled on a car that wasn’t quite what you wanted performance wise and still plunked down a lot of money to do so.
Uhh yeah. Except in this case, it's more like I could have taken an Aston Martin but went for a refurbished 60's VW instead and it's kind of shitty inside and requires constant maintenance and will never be as nice or reliable or fast or good in any was as the Aston.

I feel like everyone is minimizing the difference between HYS and CCN.

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:12 pm

And we feel like you’re overstating it? CCN aren’t the car in your analogy (if they are, I’m not even in ggocat’s 1993 Honda, I’m standing by the side of the road with my thumb out).

Again, I get not liking your school, but I think you are dwelling on the bad rather than recognizing that CCN are pretty amazing institutions wrt results for their grads.

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:18 pm

(Also: not sure why YS are in the picture here bc it doesn’t sound like they were ever even options.)

Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:42 pm

WEED_QUESTIONER_420 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:06 pm
jeff chiles wrote:
idk like if your lease is up and you need a car, and you really want the AMG model and can swing the added cost, but due to allocation/supply issues you can’t get one for maybe another year so you settle for the still very nice, less exciting model, I can see being a little bummed knowing that you settled on a car that wasn’t quite what you wanted performance wise and still plunked down a lot of money to do so.
Uhh yeah. Except in this case, it's more like I could have taken an Aston Martin but went for a refurbished 60's VW instead and it's kind of shitty inside and requires constant maintenance and will never be as nice or reliable or fast or good in any was as the Aston.

Oh my god, just get out of the car then.

jeff chiles

Post by jeff chiles » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm

jeff chiles wrote:

Shit in this analogy my school is like a totally destroyed Nissan pulsar parked in the grass in front of the high school to remind kids not to DWI after prom.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Because the difference IS minimal. Dude, you're like a guy who's whining that he would have gotten laid if only he had an Audi A5 instead of an A4. Yeah, the A5 is slightly nicer but maybe the car is not the reason you're not getting laid.

ETA: Am an H grad but would have taken CCN without much hesitation if any of them were presented as a significantly cheaper option.
Last edited by heythatslife on Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:56 pm

jeff chiles wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm
jeff chiles wrote:

Shit in this analogy my school is like a totally destroyed Nissan pulsar parked in the grass in front of the high school to remind kids not to DWI after prom.
🤣🤣🤣

ggocat

Post by ggocat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:12 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:51 pm

ETA: Am an H grad but would have taken CCN without much hesitation if any of them were presented as a significantly cheaper option.
I'm not sure that undercuts OPs point because he/she didn't mention CCN was significantly cheaper.

Personally, if I'm spending $50k on a Mercedes, you best believe I'll toss in another $5k for some upgrades. (But again, I'll take the hoopty for $2k instead).

app

Post by app » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:35 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Because the difference IS minimal. Dude, you're like a guy who's whining that he would have gotten laid if only he had an Audi A5 instead of an A4. Yeah, the A5 is slightly nicer but maybe the car is not the reason you're not getting laid.

any idea how many cross-admits choose to go H over Col and vice-versa each class at h and col?

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:13 pm

ggocat wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:12 pm
heythatslife wrote:

I'm not sure that undercuts OPs point because he/she didn't mention CCN was significantly cheaper.

Personally, if I'm spending $50k on a Mercedes, you best believe I'll toss in another $5k for some upgrades. (But again, I'll take the hoopty for $2k instead).
How are we saying different things? If I'm paying 50k anyway for a Mercedes (a T6 law degree), and the upgrades (the perceived benefits of attending H as opposed to CCN) are 5k, then sure I'll take the upgrades. But if the differential is more like extra 50k, the barebones Mercedes starts to look like the more attractive option.

I'll grant that the OP didn't specifically mention CCN was the cheaper option. But my point is that there isn't something radically/qualitatively different about H vs. CCN that I wouldn't have traded away if there was enough cash on the table.

jeff chiles

Post by jeff chiles » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Fordham is like a 7500 mile/year base A3 lease

ggocat

Post by ggocat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Yeah, we agree there's a certain point where CCN over HYS is a good decision. The car example perhaps relates to other posts of people saying there's not a huge difference between CCN and HYS. I think there is more than a 10% difference (e.g., $5K add on to $50K car). I don't think it's negligible, but at some point when you're making an extravagant purchase like law school, you might as well go all out. Or go the other direction, like I did, and get the cheap beater car.

(I was never admitted to CCNHYS so take that with a grain of salt).

Jubo

Post by Jubo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 am

heythatslife wrote:
Dude, you're like a guy who's whining that he would have gotten laid if only he had an Audi A5 instead of an A4. Yeah, the A5 is slightly nicer but maybe the car is not the reason you're not getting laid.
Best analogy ITT.

YS and H should not be lumped together when discussing outcomes and value proposition tbh.

To be more helpful, H is materially different from CCN if you're a TOP student (like magna H will have a better shot at certain jobs/clerkships than magna CCN), but median H and median CCN might as well be Honda Accord v Toyota Camry.

If OP took H over CCN at equal cost, then okay I get the lamentations, but why make that decision in the first place? I'm still confused about what's "immoral" about choosing a certain law school. OP presumably chose CCN because it was a lot cheaper, which is the right decision.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:00 pm

My fan theory is that OP picked Chicago over Harvard for the better per-capita clerkship numbers and especially the supposed conservative-judge pipeline that produces those higher numbers. I can see why a 2L looking back might find that immoral.

Maybe OP fell in with these people: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... ool-called.

ggocat

Post by ggocat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Jubo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 am
OP presumably chose CCN because it was a lot cheaper, which is the right decision.
OP said they chose CCN for "idiosyncratic and psychologically twisted personal reasons." If CCN was a lot cheaper than H, there's no reason to hide the ball with such a cryptic explanation.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:53 pm

This is getting kind of insane. As far as general outcomes go, CCN is definitely not that much worse compared to H, and in some ways I think it's even better? (Chicago for clerkships, Columbia for general employment stats, and NYU for public interest?)

Also, there's a big gap between simply regretting not going to H because it's supposedly a "better school" that would have opened up more opportunities than CCN, and calling that choice "immoral" and absolutely hating the CCN school for very personal reasons it seems none of us can truly figure out. I'm with icechicken here only because, of the things that would drive someone to be this emotional about an institution, I can only really think of politics.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:46 am

My pet theory is that OP snubbed H to stick it to his parents who really wanted him to go there (hence repeated emphasis on "twisted" and "immoral")

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:39 am

heythatslife wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:46 am
My pet theory is that OP snubbed H to stick it to his parents who really wanted him to go there (hence repeated emphasis on "twisted" and "immoral")
OP is the parents!

app

Post by app » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:28 pm

i understand that everyone's situation is different and one can't generalize, but shouldn't op be able to find some kind of solace by talking with other classmates who may have declined H for his school?

one of the factors is that op thinks he is older. unless op is late 30s or more he should be able to find some way to connect with these other students. or does that not happen much at these schools?

ggocat

Post by ggocat » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:56 am

Probably won't connect because those other students are probably happy with their decisions.
app wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:28 pm
unless op is late 30s or more he should be able to find some way to connect with these other students.
Well now I feel old.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:53 pm

app wrote:
i understand that everyone's situation is different and one can't generalize, but shouldn't op be able to find some kind of solace by talking with other classmates who may have declined H for his school?
Along with the possibility that other students are happy with their decision, this also feeds into my belief OP's problem isn't just the fact of declining H for CCN but is rooted in something else that he can't talk with other classmates about.
one of the factors is that op thinks he is older. unless op is late 30s or more he should be able to find some way to connect with these other students. or does that not happen much at these schools?
Is that really a problem these days? Most of my friends during law school were older students in their mid-late 30s, and I was a K-JD.

WEED_QUESTIONER_420

Post by WEED_QUESTIONER_420 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:11 pm

They were the same cost for me; up front, H's aid package was slightly more, but H has that policy of constantly recalculating aid. Because I have some passive income that I rely on to live off of ("passive income" carries a connotation of wealth that I don't enjoy, but that's the proper label), and planned on/will be doing big law at least 2L summer, I assumed the cost was roughly the same.
The only people I know at my CCN who were accepted here vs. H are people who got this school's full tuition scholarship. For them, it would have been dumb to go to H lol.

haus

Post by haus » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:35 pm

ggocat wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:56 am
Probably won't connect because those other students are probably happy with their decisions.
app wrote:
unless op is late 30s or more he should be able to find some way to connect with these other students.
Well now I feel old.
As someone born during the Nixon administration, I resemble this remark.

app

Post by app » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 am

lolwat wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Is that really a problem these days? Most of my friends during law school were older students in their mid-late 30s, and I was a K-JD.
i don't see it as one (i hope it's not), but i don't discount that law schools like t6 may be full of gunners with people acting very competitive with each other. i've heard similar things about some top mba programs.