Dropping Out and Reapplying

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
cavalier1138

Re: Dropping Out and Reapplying

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:04 pm

WEED_QUESTIONER_420 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:21 am
Jubo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:57 pm

I think it's Chicago or NYU because OP is under the mistaken impression that lay prestige is worth anything and Columbia is an ivy with much better lay recognition than Chicago or NYU.
The difference between H and CCN isn't merely lay prestige. The outcomes and opportunities are palpably better across the board, not to mention the network one develops at H.
If the outcomes are "palpably" better, would you care to explain what the concrete differences are? I genuinely want to know what Harvard kids are getting that I missed out on at my trash school.

-__________________-

Post by -__________________- » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:09 am

We're all basically waiting in line to be president

haus

Post by haus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:29 am

-__________________- wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:09 am
We're all basically waiting in line to be president
Considering the shithead who has the role now, we have learned that literally anybody can have this job, no matter how feeble minded one may be.

WEED_QUESTIONER_420

Post by WEED_QUESTIONER_420 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:05 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:04 pm
WEED_QUESTIONER_420 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:21 am
Jubo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:57 pm

I think it's Chicago or NYU because OP is under the mistaken impression that lay prestige is worth anything and Columbia is an ivy with much better lay recognition than Chicago or NYU.
The difference between H and CCN isn't merely lay prestige. The outcomes and opportunities are palpably better across the board, not to mention the network one develops at H.
If the outcomes are "palpably" better, would you care to explain what the concrete differences are? I genuinely want to know what Harvard kids are getting that I missed out on at my trash school.
Placement with better firms for big law (like, you can interview with the same firms from anywhere in CCN, but it's easier to get a more choice firm from H).

Easier to get clerkships (I myself might be out of the clerkships running here).

Better network and prestige and clerkship opps makes it easier to get Fed Gov't jobs, including AUSA.

Better if you want to do anything political. Better/more varied network in terms of what people do. More classmates who end up as politicians or working on their staffs in Congress, and also higher up in state government. This one is really not attainable by any of CCN.

Plus overall, I knew at the time of deciding that my CCN doesn't give a shit about its students and that H actually does. It was apparent from the way they dealt with the admits and other things.

If any of the above seem vague, it's because I don't want to out my school.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:27 am

fwiw i met a HLS grad once socially and she emphatically regrets law school, said that HLS doesn't give a shit about its students, said that the jd-advantage unicorn job path is a lie bc those ppl would have gotten those jobs due to pre-LS connections anyway, and was pretty serious about leaving law to either do another tour on peace corps or become a HS teacher. just a single data point though.

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:40 am

Fedgov actually hires from a really diverse range of schools and generally values grades/experiences over pedigree in a vacuum. Where pedigree matters, I have never encountered anyone in fedgov who would disdain CCN for H. Maybe if you’re talking political appointees, but that’s much more about what you’ve done since law school.

As for the politics stuff, am pretty sure a lot of that is self-selection. Like pancakes’ data point said, I’d bet that a lot of people doing unicorn stuff out of HLS had unicorn connections/skills/experiences which complicates the role that school name plays.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:54 am

OP you have no understanding of several things you're complaining about.

1. Like nony said, fedgov actually is quite diverse with its hires. I was a DOJ SLIP intern and got far in the honors application process (but ultimately didn't get it), and I didn't go to any T14 school. My fellow interns were from a huge range of schools, many non T14.

2. Working in Congress is a totally different ballgame. Again, I have friends from college who work/have worked on the hill, and that was through their own networks they developed in their careers. As for state government, same.

3. Your perception on whether a school gives a shit is fundamentally subjective. They're all very large law schools. I'm sure many H students feel H doesn't give a shit about them too.

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 am

Yeah, I also don’t think how a school treats admits is necessarily proof of how they treat enrolled students.

-__________________-

Post by -__________________- » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:28 am

at this point just go to HLS and report back in 3 years

blueapple

Post by blueapple » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:31 am

i'd be surprised if my agency is even 10% lawyers who graduated from T14s

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Placement with better firms for big law (like, you can interview with the same firms from anywhere in CCN, but it's easier to get a more choice firm from H).

Easier to get clerkships (I myself might be out of the clerkships running here).
I believe neither of this is true. You'll find more H just because it admits more students per year, not because it has better placement. Self-selection screws with clerkship numbers as well. I think NYU has a lot lower clerkship placement but a lot of their kids self-select into doing PI work, so y'know.
Better network and prestige and clerkship opps makes it easier to get Fed Gov't jobs, including AUSA.
If by "better network" you mean "more people graduated from H," maybe. Better prestige in some lay circles, I guess, in the sense that some randoms might go "OH HOLY SHIT HARVARD" instead of "what the fuck is NYU? Some shitty state school?", but that's not really applicable in the legal world.

Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:48 pm

The placement difference is insignificant. I went through EIP at the same time as friends who were at HLS; it still came down to GPA/# of H's and P's, and law review/not law review. It's inconceivable that hiring standards are lower at HLS than for CCN that it makes a meaningful difference.

Still of the mind that OP should just drop out and apply to H, since it seems like they'll never be happy unless they can say "I go to school in Cambridge."

-__________________-

Post by -__________________- » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:57 pm

we don't evaluate HLS any differently from CCN

actually chicago probably gets by the easiest in terms of grades because no one on the hiring committee has any clue what a 175 average or whatever means

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:18 pm

It really is genius: admit a bunch of people with political connections and then take credit for their later involvement in politics. Harvard College runs the same grift.

Jubo

Post by Jubo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:25 pm

Can all the attorneys ITT stfu OP knows better about Harvard vs CCN employment outcomes