Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
crickcrack

Re: Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions

Post by crickcrack » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:18 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:46 pm
crickcrack wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm
Is the TA pay $2000 per semester or per year?
I've hear conflicting things and have not been able to find a straight answer on-line.
Per semester, and divided by the number of TAs (if more than 1). Current as of the 2016-17 school year.
Nice, that was what I hoping for.

Would you all recommend TA'ing a 1L doctrinal class?

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:57 am

crickcrack wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:18 pm
MT Cicero wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:46 pm
crickcrack wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm
Is the TA pay $2000 per semester or per year?
I've hear conflicting things and have not been able to find a straight answer on-line.
Per semester, and divided by the number of TAs (if more than 1). Current as of the 2016-17 school year.
Nice, that was what I hoping for.

Would you all recommend TA'ing a 1L doctrinal class?
I was a legal writing TA, but had plenty of friends do doctrinal. I say yes though, if you enjoy the course and/or the professor. Ask around about the professor's requirements for her TAs and make sure you're good with them. Some work requirements are very different (but most aren't too big a lift). Also, don't phone it in for your 1Ls. You don't have to go crazy to be a good TA, just consistent with your/their time and welcoming.

tryingmybest

Post by tryingmybest » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi all, I will be a 1L at NU next year and I have a couple of questions about housing if anyone is willing to answer.

Where do the majority of students live? Do most live in the NU-recommended buildings in Streeterville?
I want to have a roommate to cut down on costs (and also for company lol), is there some sort of matching service NU provides, or do people just network at ASW and the accepted students Facebook page?
How far in advance does one need to sign a lease for an August 1 move-in?
Have those of you who have lived outside of walking distance from the campus found this to be difficult during 1L year?

Would love any and all thoughts on this! Thanks, go Cats :)

NourishAndStrengthen

Post by NourishAndStrengthen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:59 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hair stylist for men?

thuswindburn

Post by thuswindburn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Anyone here who targeted or is targeting a non Illinois/NY/CA market? How is/was the experience? Was it a major struggle, or was the lack of competition among your classmates a boon?

I’ll be targeting Texas, and NU May be a serious consideration depending on the money.

bk1

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:14 pm

tryingmybest wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:51 pm
Hi all, I will be a 1L at NU next year and I have a couple of questions about housing if anyone is willing to answer.

Where do the majority of students live? Do most live in the NU-recommended buildings in Streeterville?
I want to have a roommate to cut down on costs (and also for company lol), is there some sort of matching service NU provides, or do people just network at ASW and the accepted students Facebook page?
How far in advance does one need to sign a lease for an August 1 move-in?
Have those of you who have lived outside of walking distance from the campus found this to be difficult during 1L year?

Would love any and all thoughts on this! Thanks, go Cats :)
1. A lot of 1Ls live in Streeterville (I doubt it's a majority, but I suspect it might be a plurality). People tend to move further away for 2L/3L.
2. No idea. Maybe StudentSpace?
3. A month in advance is probably fine.
4. I didn't, but plenty of people do and it's nbd (though moderately less convenient). You don't need to be at the school all the time.

bk1

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 pm

thuswindburn wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:11 pm
Anyone here who targeted or is targeting a non Illinois/NY/CA market? How is/was the experience? Was it a major struggle, or was the lack of competition among your classmates a boon?

I’ll be targeting Texas, and NU May be a serious consideration depending on the money.
I targeted CA so my advice is limited. From talking to my classmates, it makes it easier to get screening interviews at OCI (because there is less competition for those slots). I would suggest asking admissions to give you a list of TX employers/offices that come to OCI, and have them put you in touch with an alum that currently works in TX (they've put admits who are looking to target SoCal in touch with me).

Bubbles

Post by Bubbles » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:56 pm

thuswindburn wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Texas alumni network is growing, and NU is a part of the On Tour Interview Program that holds interviews in Texas with Texas firms before OCI. It's entirely possible to do. Ask to get in touch with people going to TX. I know a good number.

thuswindburn

Post by thuswindburn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks! I’ll reach out, now I just need Northwestern to let me know if I’m getting any money...

crickcrack

Post by crickcrack » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Thanks for the TA advice.

Can anyone speak to the benefit/burden of being on an executive board? I'm not particularly passionate about any of the law societies, but there are a few I find interesting. However, I heard 2L is already a really busy year and don't want to make unnecessarily busier.

Rink

Post by Rink » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:13 am

crickcrack wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Thanks for the TA advice.

Can anyone speak to the benefit/burden of being on an executive board? I'm not particularly passionate about any of the law societies, but there are a few I find interesting. However, I heard 2L is already a really busy year and don't want to make unnecessarily busier.
Be a lower board member and it won't consume much of your life. (I was a treasurer.) Or don't, if you're not passionate about it, because it also doesn't add much to your life.

Livejustly390

Post by Livejustly390 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:12 am

What is the student culture like at Northwestern?

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:49 am

Livejustly390 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:12 am
I think this is a tough one because people tend to use the answers as relative in comparing against peers, when most of us just went to one school (and some two, max). I tend to feel like many other schools will have similar positive attributes. And it's hard not to sound like a platitude-spitting cheerleader answering this as a former student. But here goes:

I think NU's reputation as a "business-y" school is a little overblown on here. I think the fact that a full 10% of our 1L classes are JD-MBAs adds to that rep a little bit, and we'll definitely put more people into non-law business jobs at a higher clip than almost all our peers. But it's still a fairly small percentage. Also, the fact that we tend to focus a bit more on work experience makes us a little older than our peers on average, but this too is generally overblown I think. Our median age is usually only 1-2 years higher than our peers. And I imagine other schools have some 30+ students roaming the halls, just like NU.

Given that, I think the student culture is generally a fun, warm, chill, fairly-life-experienced group. I felt only internal competitiveness ("I want to do well") from people while I was a student there--nothing from friends or other students that struck me as outwardly competitive or jerk-ish. Mostly the nervous "what are you doing to get ready" stuff that 1Ls do. Never problem getting materials from people, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting three outline banks from various student groups.

Also, while a good number of students opt for the transactional law route, there's still a strong litigation pull for tons of NU students as well. And our clinic plays to both of these options. The clinic got a big infusion of cash from our recent fundraising drive (anchored by the Pritzker $100M), and has become a living, breathing PI law firm it feels like to me. I saw 2Ls and 3Ls who basically just spent tons of their time up there in the clinic (it's a gorgeous space), and that's all they seemed to want to do.

I'll stop now since your question was very open-ended, but if you have other specific questions, fire away.

Livejustly390

Post by Livejustly390 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:32 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:49 am
Livejustly390 wrote:
I think this is a tough one because people tend to use the answers as relative in comparing against peers, when most of us just went to one school (and some two, max). I tend to feel like many other schools will have similar positive attributes. And it's hard not to sound like a platitude-spitting cheerleader answering this as a former student. But here goes:

I think NU's reputation as a "business-y" school is a little overblown on here. I think the fact that a full 10% of our 1L classes are JD-MBAs adds to that rep a little bit, and we'll definitely put more people into non-law business jobs at a higher clip than almost all our peers. But it's still a fairly small percentage. Also, the fact that we tend to focus a bit more on work experience makes us a little older than our peers on average, but this too is generally overblown I think. Our median age is usually only 1-2 years higher than our peers. And I imagine other schools have some 30+ students roaming the halls, just like NU.

Given that, I think the student culture is generally a fun, warm, chill, fairly-life-experienced group. I felt only internal competitiveness ("I want to do well") from people while I was a student there--nothing from friends or other students that struck me as outwardly competitive or jerk-ish. Mostly the nervous "what are you doing to get ready" stuff that 1Ls do. Never problem getting materials from people, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting three outline banks from various student groups.

Also, while a good number of students opt for the transactional law route, there's still a strong litigation pull for tons of NU students as well. And our clinic plays to both of these options. The clinic got a big infusion of cash from our recent fundraising drive (anchored by the Pritzker $100M), and has become a living, breathing PI law firm it feels like to me. I saw 2Ls and 3Ls who basically just spent tons of their time up there in the clinic (it's a gorgeous space), and that's all they seemed to want to do.

I'll stop now since your question was very open-ended, but if you have other specific questions, fire away.
How easy was it to make friends?

how big were the 1L sections?

Is legal writing and research pass/fail?

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Livejustly390 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:32 pm
MT Cicero wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:49 am
Livejustly390 wrote:

How easy was it to make friends?

how big were the 1L sections?

Is legal writing and research pass/fail?
I think making friends is as easy as it might come to you as a person generally. There are so many events, clubs, etc., that you're always around students and groups of varying sizes. So there's no barriers or anything. I'm fielding this question as someone who was an older law student and who's pretty social and amiable, so I found it very easy. I have friends who I know will be lifelong ones. Go to some bar reviews (if you want), be genuine and decent, and I can't foresee any issues (at any school, for that matter).

The 1L sections were around 57 when I was there, and I think probably close to that now. It's [Class Size / 4], so whatever that comes out to for your particular class.

Legal writing (called CLR at NU for "Communication and Legal Reasoning") is not pass/fail. It's curved on a similar, but not exactly the same, scale as other 1L classes. The class size is half of a normal section. So, you'll see 25-28 usually in a CLR class, from all 4 large sections (they aren't just a subset of your larger section).

*The above is current through at least 2016-17, but I haven't heard of any change for this past year.

Rink

Post by Rink » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Livejustly390 wrote:
To me it felt like undergrad except the drinking was more pretentious. Whiskey bars rather than tailgating.

But I was almost 10 years older than most, so that might just be a kids get off my lawn thing. :P

purple nightstick

Post by purple nightstick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 am

I'm guessing this is decently common since NU is in a major city, but about how many students live with non-law school roommates (ie friends from undergrad, etc.)? Would this make it harder to bond with my classmates and feel like a part of the law school community?

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 pm

purple nightstick wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 am
I'm guessing this is decently common since NU is in a major city, but about how many students live with non-law school roommates (ie friends from undergrad, etc.)? Would this make it harder to bond with my classmates and feel like a part of the law school community?
I'd say a small percentage of people do this, but that's mainly because of the number of people who (1) choose to have a roommate at all, and (2) know someone well enough to room with them (likely both Chicagoans) is a decently small percentage of the class to begin with.

But I knew a number of people who did this, and they were just as much part of the law school community as anyone else. One of my best friends did this, in fact, and she (the non-law roommate) was pretty much always with us having fun. You could live with law school people and be a hermit, live alone and be sociable, or live with non-law folks and be either of those options. They're not necessarily connected.

I will caution you on living with someone who has little else to do but rage all the time. I've heard stories here about how finals or other law school strains, combined with a rager (or slob, or inconsiderate person) for a roomie, can hurt the pre-existing relationship.

purple nightstick

Post by purple nightstick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:34 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 pm
purple nightstick wrote:
I'd say a small percentage of people do this, but that's mainly because of the number of people who (1) choose to have a roommate at all, and (2) know someone well enough to room with them (likely both Chicagoans) is a decently small percentage of the class to begin with.

But I knew a number of people who did this, and they were just as much part of the law school community as anyone else. One of my best friends did this, in fact, and she (the non-law roommate) was pretty much always with us having fun. You could live with law school people and be a hermit, live alone and be sociable, or live with non-law folks and be either of those options. They're not necessarily connected.

I will caution you on living with someone who has little else to do but rage all the time. I've heard stories here about how finals or other law school strains, combined with a rager (or slob, or inconsiderate person) for a roomie, can hurt the pre-existing relationship.
Thank you for the wisdom. He will be working in IB so that shouldn't be a problem for me. Hopefully my 1L study hours will seem tame compared to what he will have to put in. I'm still undecided but had made plans to live with him if I came to NU, so thought it'd be worth asking.

LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Last edited by LawSSS2 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm

purple nightstick wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:34 pm
MT Cicero wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 pm
purple nightstick wrote:

Thank you for the wisdom. He will be working in IB so that shouldn't be a problem for me. Hopefully my 1L study hours will seem tame compared to what he will have to put in. I'm still undecided but had made plans to live with him if I came to NU, so thought it'd be worth asking.
Agree with Cicero. You can be as much (or as little) a part of the law school as you want to be and living with a non-lawstudent won't change that.

tryingmybest

Post by tryingmybest » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:13 pm

purple nightstick wrote:
I am planning on doing this, and from everyone I've talked to, it doesn't change anything. Most people I talked to at ASW were planning on living alone, anyways. So that's no different than if you live with someone who doesn't go to the school.

VanillaSalt

Post by VanillaSalt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:54 pm

How's the free food scene over there? Would it be possible to grab free lunches everyday as a 1L :lol:

MT Cicero

Post by MT Cicero » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:07 pm

VanillaSalt wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:54 pm
How's the free food scene over there? Would it be possible to grab free lunches everyday as a 1L :lol:
Damn near. I’d say 60-75% of lunches until Thanksgiving break.

Daddy

Post by Daddy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:39 pm

How are the professors?

Also, how common is it to nab a 1L summer gig at NW? 2L summer gig? (in biglaw)

Did you feel you were "in the shadow" of UChicago?