Penn Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Re: Penn Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Post by BullPenn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:13 am

manyesh wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:46 am
Can any current Penn students chime in on how soon people should be looking for housing? Should I be looking for apartments now, or is it fine to wait until later this summer when I have more time?

FWIW - I plan on living in a larger apartment building rather than renting a brownstone.
in that case you'll need like, one day lead time

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:31 am

For students looking to live alone at a reasonable price (around $1000) does anyone have any specific suggestions for starting the housing search? I’m thinking particular complexes, management companies, or other places many students to find success.

ymmv

Post by ymmv » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:34 am

LSNlife wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:31 am
For students looking to live alone at a reasonable price (around $1000) does anyone have any specific suggestions for starting the housing search? I’m thinking particular complexes, management companies, or other places many students to find success.
Craigslist map view, filter photos only has served me well my whole adult life.

abujabal

Post by abujabal » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Not a totally serious question, but kind of a serious question - Fresh Grocer or Aldi?

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:01 pm

abujabal wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 pm
Not a totally serious question, but kind of a serious question - Fresh Grocer or Aldi?
ugh, neither?

ALDI is cheap AF for basic staples and condiments; i wouldnt buy any real food there

Fresh Grocer is fine quality-wise but kind of a hot fucking mess

ymmv

Post by ymmv » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:11 pm

BullPenn wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:01 pm
abujabal wrote:
ugh, neither?

ALDI is cheap AF for basic staples and condiments; i wouldnt buy any real food there

Yeah credited response is Trader Joe’s, one of the local grocery stores if you can afford it, or Fresh Direct delivery. Or some combination of the above.

wsbl

Post by wsbl » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:23 pm

BullPenn wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:01 pm
abujabal wrote:
ugh, neither?

There are also other Fresh Grocers throughout the city that are far less congested.

dietcoked

Post by dietcoked » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 am

How does one get involved in the Global Women's Leadership Project? I'm particularly interested in being a student fellow for Women's Economic Participation.

RubyRhad

Post by RubyRhad » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 pm

I committed yesterday and I'm so excited! Question about housing: So when I was in Philly this weekend, I was staying in Center City near Rittenhouse and it was absolutely adorable. I loved it. However, is it smarter/better to live as close to campus as possible during 1L? Realistically, how long does it take to walk from CC/RH to campus?

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:54 pm

alykdesire wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 pm
I committed yesterday and I'm so excited! Question about housing: So when I was in Philly this weekend, I was staying in Center City near Rittenhouse and it was absolutely adorable. I loved it. However, is it smarter/better to live as close to campus as possible during 1L? Realistically, how long does it take to walk from CC/RH to campus?
It's a walkable, comfortable ~30 minute walk. You'll just really dislike it in the winteriest of winter days

I rode my bike year round from 12th and it was usually 12 minutes. With the plethora of bike lanes I'd advise doing that - even a total novice biker can get to school in 15 with a leisurely ride on a cruiser

On the shittiest of weather days (read: rain), I took the MFL which was 20 minutes door to door and totally /fine/, if not the best. Not any worse than NYC's subways IMO

So many people live right on top of the law school during 1L which is understandable and fine, but there's so much more of a wonderful city accessible to you that I think center city is a fine place to be

full disclosure, I lived at 42nd and baltimore for 2 years as well; found them equally fine for commute but wished I was in center city in retrospect just because more of the cool Philly things are in that direction

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:00 pm

dietcoked wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 am
How does one get involved in the Global Women's Leadership Project? I'm particularly interested in being a student fellow for Women's Economic Participation.
my answer to any of these questions is to reach out to the contact folks directly. they'll be very helpful and nice

RubyRhad

Post by RubyRhad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:14 pm

How bad does the weather get in the winter?

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Anyone have any thoughts about The Blenheim for housing?

abujabal

Post by abujabal » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:28 pm

alykdesire wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:14 pm
Fellow 0L, but I used to live there! It gets fairly cold, but not offensively so (winter jackets necessary). If you're prepared to have a lot of 33-37 degree days in the Dec/Jan/Feb months, you'll be fine. It does snow on occasion, and the city is pretty decent with removal, but boots wouldn't be a horrible purchase. I never found myself bundling up aggressively and formulating like, layering attack plans, like I used to when I lived in the midwest though, because there's less wind

EDIT: Also pro-tip, if you're wandering around Center City, use the concourse. It's an underground tunnel system that connects to transit, but also through the major parts of center city. It can get a little sketchy after hours, but during normal daytime hours/commute time it's an easy way to walk through town and stay warm.

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 pm

alykdesire wrote:
as opposed to what? it's a coastal city so it's much more mild than like, chicago

RubyRhad

Post by RubyRhad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:28 pm

BullPenn wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 pm
alykdesire wrote:
as opposed to what? it's a coastal city so it's much more mild than like, chicago
texas. But I started at Northwestern for undergrad and transferred mainly because of weather.

Platopus

Post by Platopus » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:30 am

How much do you budget for rent/utilities/food per month? Trying to get a feel for the student budget as I hunt for apartments.

ymmv

Post by ymmv » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 am

Platopus wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:30 am
How much do you budget for rent/utilities/food per month? Trying to get a feel for the student budget as I hunt for apartments.
This is going to vary wildly based on your standard of living. You can get a decent studio apartment for around $700, so $1,000 would be sufficient for a frugal student who doesn’t eat out or drink excessively. But that doesn’t describe most Penn students I know.

bready

Post by bready » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am

anyone else feel like the admitted students group is relatively quiet compared to others they're a part of?

I'm 100p committed to Penn and so excited but I am hopeful that there will be a significant uptick in roommate posts and posts by 0Ls since many other groups are very lively right now! semi weirded out by the blog posts by current students instead of just people introducing themselves and offering to answer questions.

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 am

bready wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am
anyone else feel like the admitted students group is relatively quiet compared to others they're a part of?

I'm 100p committed to Penn and so excited but I am hopeful that there will be a significant uptick in roommate posts and posts by 0Ls since many other groups are very lively right now! semi weirded out by the blog posts by current students instead of just people introducing themselves and offering to answer questions.
Right here with you! I’m holing to live alone but without a lot of time to visit this housing search feels very theoretical lol.

I don’t mind the blog posts but I’m not going to pretend that I read all of them either.

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 am

LSNlife wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 am
bready wrote:

Right here with you! I’m hoping to live alone but without a lot of time to visit this housing serarch feels very theoretical lol.

I don’t mind the blog posts but I’m not going to pretend that I read all of them either.

bready

Post by bready » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:26 am

LSNlife wrote:
bready wrote:

Right here with you! I’m holing to live alone but without a lot of time to visit this housing search feels very theoretical lol.

haha, the posts would be fine if interspersed with other things!

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 am

bready wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:26 am
LSNlife wrote:
bready wrote:

haha, the posts would be fine if interspersed with other things!
Very true, the 2017-2018 housing guide is by far the best thing I’ve seen from them so far. It’s super helpful!

Platopus

Post by Platopus » Thu May 03, 2018 8:10 pm

ymmv wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 am
Platopus wrote:
This is going to vary wildly based on your standard of living. You can get a decent studio apartment for around $700, so $1,000 would be sufficient for a frugal student who doesn’t eat out or drink excessively. But that doesn’t describe most Penn students I know.
Thanks for the feedback. How far would you consider too far of a walk? I found a decent apartment, but it's about a 30 minute walk. On shitty days I don't think it'd be the best, but the apartment is a real steal

ymmv

Post by ymmv » Thu May 03, 2018 8:16 pm

Platopus wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:10 pm
ymmv wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 am
Platopus wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. How far would you consider too far of a walk? I found a decent apartment, but it's about a 30 minute walk. On shitty days I don't think it'd be the best, but the apartment is a real steal
If there's a convenient bus or train alternative for shitty days I would consider that fine. What neighborhood?