Penn Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
Mittens7

Re: Penn Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Post by Mittens7 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:21 pm

Hi there! I got into Penn a few weeks ago and am very excited. Is anyone on this thread able to comment on how Penn assists students with placement in San Francisco/SV BigLaw? I heard that there is a regional OCI interview process, but haven't heard many details. I'm from the Bay Area and went to New England for college/three years of work afterward, but my partner and I want to go back west ASAP once I graduate. I've gotten a lot of advice to take the $$$ at UCLA and work from there (Berkeley rejected me and it stung), but Penn's overall vibe/curriculum/BL placement seems like a better fit.

Secondarily, I'm wondering if anyone has anecdotal advice re: where married students/student with partners tend to live (Center City?).

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:36 am

Students with partners don’t tend to live any one particular area other than “convenient commuting distance to Penn.” Center City, Graduate Hospital, and West Philly just southwest of campus are all popular options in roughly descending order of priciness for the same space (caveat that CC is a huge part of the city with a lot of variance). Philly real estate is incredibly cheap by major city standards, and you can find a reasonably priced one bedroom apartment in any of these places.

wow

Post by wow » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:38 pm

anyone ever take Perry for Intro to Philosophy of Law? is Admin necessary if I want to go into government/regulatory law?

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:38 pm

Admin stuff like deference levels is vital but also pretty easy to learn on the job. Probably none of the executive powers type issues will ever matter unless you’re working for like the attorney/solicitor general or ACLU / pro bono type stuff. Probably some overlap with Legislation and Con Law courses.

Still, I’d take Admin if you have the chance. It’s interesting enough and likely to contain something useful to a general lit practitioner whether or not you’re honed in on regulatory work.

I took Perry’s Philosophy of Political Authority and it was pretty good. Mostly just long readings and round table seminar discussion, with a thesis paper at the end. He’s very low-key, doesn’t really turn the screws on socratics or anything. Happier to listen to students puzzle through issues than to lecture, was my impression.

wow

Post by wow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:49 pm

ymmv wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:38 pm
Admin stuff like deference levels is vital but also pretty easy to learn on the job. Probably none of the executive powers type issues will ever matter unless you’re working for like the attorney/solicitor general or ACLU / pro bono type stuff. Probably some overlap with Legislation and Con Law courses.

Still, I’d take Admin if you have the chance. It’s interesting enough and likely to contain something useful to a general lit practitioner whether or not you’re honed in on regulatory work.

I took Perry’s Philosophy of Political Authority and it was pretty good. Mostly just long readings and round table seminar discussion, with a thesis paper at the end. He’s very low-key, doesn’t really turn the screws on socratics or anything. Happier to listen to students puzzle through issues than to lecture, was my impression.
Thanks!