Penn Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Penn Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Post by ymmv » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:01 am

Also in this thread: effusive Philly praise.

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Re: Penn Students & Graduates Taking Questions

Post by BullPenn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 am

2014 grad here; did extensive recruiting work so pretty sure I can answer anything or point you in the right direction.

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 am

Last edited by Rowdy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:52 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 am
Is Penn any better/worse than peer schools for PI/Gov't?

Separate question: how is Penn's west coast reach?
This is a very very common question for folks considering Penn v. other schools, because Penn (deservedly) has one of the strongest abilities to place in corporate.

Because of that reputation, a lot of people (wrongfully) make the jump that Penn is somehow worse off on PI and that just isn't largely the case.

It's been a couple of years since I've graduated but I do know Penn has connections (and abilities to connect) with just a countless amount of PI groups to make employment for that just as attainable. I also think Penn can actually benefit some students because the competition for certain Penn-specific opportunities is a bit lower than, say, PI-driven NYU.

Problems I do know folks have had in the past are (i) fewer scholarship opportunities, but then again lower competition for those opportunities and (ii) sometimes a bit of a struggle in 1L employment.

One thing going for Penn over some other peer schools is that it's in a metropolitan area with countless PI opportunities that can be accessed during the school year, which I know many, many people do (particularly to get a leg up on postgrad employment).

There are certainly some details that I'm likely missing (I'm a biglaw dude) - what you should do from here is contact TPIC (Penn's PI team) or admissions and ask to speak to a PI-focused student (preferably 2) and get their opinion on the same topic.

As far as west coast, Penn has as much reach as you want. As long as you have some colorable connection to a west coast city, it's very, very attainable. If you're having a bit of trouble ever, it's way way easier to start at a good job in a place like New York and work to move west as your career unfolds than start at a shitty job on the west coast and try to move your way up to better jobs.

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Last edited by Rowdy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm
BullPenn wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:52 pm
Thank you! The self-selection on PI makes a lot of intuitive sense, but it's good to hear from someone who has actually been in Penn's four walls.
sure thing; i still want to emphasize to reach out to someone doing PI *right now* at Penn though. I think my sentiment is spot-on, but specific data points from current PI students will be better than a years-removed corporate-focused guy like me

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Last edited by Rowdy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:17 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:15 pm
BullPenn wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:12 pm
Rowdy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm
BullPenn wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:52 pm
Thank you! The self-selection on PI makes a lot of intuitive sense, but it's good to hear from someone who has actually been in Penn's four walls.
sure thing; i still want to emphasize to reach out to someone doing PI *right now* at Penn though. I think my sentiment is spot-on, but specific data points from current PI students will be better than a years-removed corporate-focused guy like me
Oh, absolutely. I want to see if they'll put me in touch with an alum, too. I imagine a 2L is going to have a different perspective on the PI portability than someone who actually tried and failed or landed what they wanted...
Not sure how readily available this info is/how much you want to cold call/email, but plenty of PI groups have education information for their staff. could always reach out. we penn folks are usually eager to help sell the place if we're not too busy

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Last edited by Rowdy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 am

This may be a little too "in the weeds" but how difficult is it to find housing that includes parking//how common is it for students to bring vehicles with them? I have to have mine due to other commitments outside of Philly and I don't necessarily need to drive to class but I'm a little concerned about the feasibility of finding cheap parking included with housing options close to campus.

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:47 am

LSNlife wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 am
This may be a little too "in the weeds" but how difficult is it to find housing that includes parking//how common is it for students to bring vehicles with them? I have to have mine due to other commitments outside of Philly and I don't necessarily need to drive to class but I'm a little concerned about the feasibility of finding cheap parking included with housing options close to campus.
Parking tends to be a pain in this particular area of town

You're not going to find many places that "include" parking, and even the places that have parking in their building charge an extra fee

Left Bank tended to be a popular option for those who needed parking, but Left Bank is expensive and shitty. I don't think 2400 Chestnut has a garage? Could be wrong there, their apartments are ok but expensive.

My suggestion is honestly to get a place in University City (like, b/n 38th and 44th) and rely on street parking; it's not so bad to get reliable street parking within 2 blocks honestly

Darth Jar Jar

Post by Darth Jar Jar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Is it true that Penn places relatively well in South Florida? I found a thread on TLS that said there is a considerable alumni base in Miami due to some hiring partners being alums. Obviously the SF market is a crapshoot and even HYS doesn't guarantee placement there. Just wanted to explore this idea a bit.

I'd take biglaw anywhere, but it would be nice to head home after LS.

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Darth Jar Jar wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm
Is it true that Penn places relatively well in South Florida? I found a thread on TLS that said there is a considerable alumni base in Miami due to some hiring partners being alums. Obviously the SF market is a crapshoot and even HYS doesn't guarantee placement there. Just wanted to explore this idea a bit.

I'd take biglaw anywhere, but it would be nice to head home after LS.
Pretty decently with a legitimate connection, but probably a bit more grade conscious than other cities, I wouldn't say Penn has a particular advantage

Now that I'm in practice I've found it's not super difficult to break into secondary markets after just sucking up NYC for a year or 2 and lateraling out

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:14 pm

BullPenn wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:47 am
LSNlife wrote:

You're not going to find many places that "include" parking, and even the places that have parking in their building charge an extra fee

Left Bank tended to be a popular option for those who needed parking, but Left Bank is expensive and shitty. I don't think 2400 Chestnut has a garage? Could be wrong there, their apartments are ok but expensive.

My suggestion is honestly to get a place in University City (like, b/n 38th and 44th) and rely on street parking; it's not so bad to get reliable street parking within 2 blocks honestly
Noted, thanks a lot! I have to have my car so I wanted to make sure I had a clear plan!

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:21 pm

LSNlife wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:14 pm
BullPenn wrote:
LSNlife wrote:

Noted, thanks a lot! I have to have my car so I wanted to make sure I had a clear plan!
Sure thing. Want to add Grad Hospital as a good area for street parking as well, just less convenient w/r/t public transit

pizza_cat

Post by pizza_cat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:51 am

BullPenn wrote:
LSNlife wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and disagree here. Parking is a pain in certain areas of University, not others. The further west or north you go, the better it tends to be. If having a car on campus is a priority for you, and I don't see anything that should stop you from brining it. Sure, you need to rely street parking, but there's plenty if you're on the right streets. Also, if you want to live in a larger apartment building (like West Bank, 3737 Chestnut, Domus, 3601 Market), they usually have parking options for an additional fee. These fees can be exorbitant though. It's $250/month for garage parking in my building - albiet my building is fancy, and the garage is nice. I have a car here and decided to forego the expensive garage parking, to try my luck with street parking; I pretty much find a spot without fail every time within 2 blocks of my apartment. I'm also so busy, that I tend to leave my car for days on end without touching it. I've never gotten a ticket (I lived in California previously, and they would ticket cars that spent more than 48 hours in any one spot.) Don't get me wrong - the meter police are definitely out there, but they keep to the busier streets (Market,Chestnut, Walnut, between about 34th and 38th). Hope this helped!

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:10 am

pizza_cat wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:51 am
BullPenn wrote:
LSNlife wrote:

welcome, pizza cat!
I'm going to go ahead and disagree here. Parking is a pain in certain areas of University, not others. The further west or north you go, the better it tends to be. If having a car on campus is a priority for you, and I don't see anything that should stop you from brining it. Sure, you need to rely street parking, but there's plenty if you're on the right streets. Also, if you want to live in a larger apartment building (like West Bank, 3737 Chestnut, Domus, 3601 Market), they usually have parking options for an additional fee. These fees can be exorbitant though. It's $250/month for garage parking in my building - albiet my building is fancy, and the garage is nice. I have a car here and decided to forego the expensive garage parking, to try my luck with street parking; I pretty much find a spot without fail every time within 2 blocks of my apartment. I'm also so busy, that I tend to leave my car for days on end without touching it. I've never gotten a ticket (I lived in California previously, and they would ticket cars that spent more than 48 hours in any one spot.) Don't get me wrong - the meter police are definitely out there, but they keep to the busier streets (Market,Chestnut, Walnut, between about 34th and 38th). Hope this helped!
welcome, pizza cat! not sure we disagree here though..?

LSNlife

Post by LSNlife » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:03 am

pizza_cat wrote:
BullPenn wrote:
LSNlife wrote:

Thanks for the add-on! You guys have both been helpful. I'm from DC so I'm very accustomed to street parking and not driving for days, sounds like the system in Philly is relatively similar to what I've got here in DC so that brings me comfort. I'm ashamed to say I just haven't been to Philly outside of a middle school field trip to until ASW my plane of reference is ridiculously lacking lol. I'll definitely look into all of these neighborhoods ya'll have suggested!

pizza_cat

Post by pizza_cat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:48 am

BullPenn wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:10 am
pizza_cat wrote:
BullPenn wrote:
LSNlife wrote:

welcome, pizza cat!
welcome, pizza cat! not sure we disagree here though..?

oops I should have clarified.. I was disagreeing to your first "Parking tends to be a pain here" statement, but you're right, I think overall we agree. Thanks for the welcome!

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:03 pm

LSNlife wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:03 am
pizza_cat wrote:
BullPenn wrote:
LSNlife wrote:

Thanks for the add-on! You guys have both been helpful. I'm from DC so I'm very accustomed to street parking and not driving for days, sounds like the system in Philly is relatively similar to what I've got here in DC so that brings me comfort. I'm ashamed to say I just haven't been to Philly outside of a middle school field trip to until ASW my plane of reference is ridiculously lacking lol. I'll definitely look into all of these neighborhoods ya'll have suggested!
ASW will be awesome, that's for sure

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:08 pm

ymmv

Post by ymmv » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:08 pm
What is Penn's student culture like? Every school has the same stuff on their web site.

How competitive does it feel / how tangible is the grades/jobs stress?

I know you can't compare to other schools (unless you transferred) but I'm trying to get a sense.
Extremely collaborative. I'm sure everyone peddles the Collegial™ line but at Penn it's true. Freely shared notes, never wanted for outlines from classmates, "we're all in this together" mindset, etc.
Even the hardcore gunners aren't usually that bad, just awkward.

The grades/jobs stress is there like anywhere, but folks aren't at each others' throats about it, and the high offer/employment rates keep the panic levels down somewhat.

Rowdy

Post by Rowdy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:27 pm

ymmv

Post by ymmv » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Rowdy wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:27 pm
ymmv wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 pm
Anything you wish you had known about Penn before you matriculated?
I have honestly zero regrets about the school choice. I have some small regrets about choices I made while there but they weren't Penn-specific in any way.

I'm very glad I got as involved in orgs as I did. And I highly recommend taking advantage of cross-disciplinary courses across the campus. Penn approves basically anything if you pitch it with even the vaguest connection to legal education, and it's a wonderful opportunity to replace upper-level "AND LAW" courses with things you're actually interested in learning.

BullPenn
NBA Chatter 1st Banana

Post by BullPenn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:34 pm

ymmv wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 pm
Rowdy wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:08 pm
What is Penn's student culture like? Every school has the same stuff on their web site.

How competitive does it feel / how tangible is the grades/jobs stress?

I know you can't compare to other schools (unless you transferred) but I'm trying to get a sense.
Extremely collaborative. I'm sure everyone peddles the Collegial™ line but at Penn it's true. Freely shared notes, never wanted for outlines from classmates, "we're all in this together" mindset, etc.
Even the hardcore gunners aren't usually that bad, just awkward.

The grades/jobs stress is there like anywhere, but folks aren't at each others' throats about it, and the high offer/employment rates keep the panic levels down somewhat.
cosign all of the above

the thing is, Penn has laid hard into the collegial and collaborative thing for a long time now, so they go to great pains to make sure the they're attracting a student body likely to continue to carry that message. a lot of it is helped by the students truly buying in to that mindset themselves, but you're just not going to see the stereotypical law school bullshit very much (if at all)

i think being so secure in job prospects helps a lot of it