UTexas BL Chances

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
sunnysidedown

UTexas BL Chances

Post by sunnysidedown » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 am

Hi all, I’m deposited at Texas right now and looking at between 55 and 75k in debt. I really only want BL in Texas (DFW preferred) but I have been WL’d at almost every T14. I’m terrified of not being in that top 20 to 30 percent that can achieve BL out of Texas. Am I crazy? Am I overthinking this? 3.5ish/178 are my stats, really feel like I underperformed.

I have a good job right now. I make about the 25 percentile for Texas’ private practice salary.

Stranger

Re: UTexas BL Chances

Post by Stranger » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am

First of all, Texas posted 57% biglaw + federal clerkships last year. That's a high water mark for them, but they're still averaging close to 50% with a positive trend. We tend to count the federal clerkships with the biglaw numbers because just about anyone who can get a federal clerkship could have chosen biglaw immediately (and is likely able to get it post-clerkship). You're not in the situation of needing to be in the top 20-30% to get a biglaw job out of UT. It's also worth noting that there is some degree of self-selection for government and public interest work, even among high-performing students.

You're looking at a pretty good situation for trying to get DFW biglaw, particularly with that small a debt load. Obviously, getting 75%+ odds out of a place like Duke would be more comfortable, but what price is that worth to you? It does sound like you underperformed in terms of acceptances, but your scholarship situation is what I would reasonably expect. Were you a late applicant or something?

sunnysidedown

Post by sunnysidedown » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:12 am

I applied in September; I believe my PS was very weak. My scholarship isn’t that big at around 10k/yr - I just have a ton of savings from some work I did straight out of college where I was able to live at home.

I just really thought I’d be at a T14, where I could stress maybe (slightly) less. My goal is to go in house eventually as well, and I’m not sure how school prestige impacts those options.

Edit: I was hoping for Columbia, Duke, or NU. Particularly interested in NU’s ED at this point.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:30 am

Oh, yeah, if you're keeping the debt that low from savings instead of a scholarship, you're a good candidate to reapply with a stronger PS. Maybe see if the Spivey team can review it for you.

In the meantime, I'd ride out those waitlists, possibly up until the day classes start (if you've got that kind of savings, hopefully you're liquid enough to pick up and relocate on short notice).

sunnysidedown

Post by sunnysidedown » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:41 am

I’m inclined to ride the Columbia one in particular until the end.

I would have been happy with Texas when I started this whole process many years ago before I started working, and I recognize it’s a great school, I’m just skeptical about self-financing something that is ultimately such a game of chance.

My LSAT is from last year so I have some time left.

industwetrust

Post by industwetrust » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 pm

If you can afford to wait, polish your app, and reapply early, there's not much downside to it. You definitely underperformed and with a good, early app you'll likely do much better.

sunnysidedown

Post by sunnysidedown » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Am I wrong to blink at UT’s numbers? I’ve l read stuff on here about how Texas firms will allegedly dip lower than at T14’s etc. for hiring. Is there anything to this?

As much as I want to reapply, I do also kinda want to leave my job haha