Dropping Out and Reapplying

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
ggocat

Re: Dropping Out and Reapplying

Post by ggocat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:11 pm

WEED_QUESTIONER_420 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:17 pm
I don't want my identity compromised.
There's a balance between maintaining a level of anonymity and having people sufficiently understand your situation to give helpful advice. The lack of details provided (regarding why you're so unhappy) made it difficult to give constructive advice. That's why people are responding "bullocks, CCN is fine," etc. You're not providing adequate context.

app

Post by app » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:59 am

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:28 pm
Class of 2021 person here. I was admitted to H and a CCN. For idiosyncratic and psychologically twisted personal reasons, I chose the CCN. I first came to regret this decision in January or February of this year, and it has caused huge emotional and psychological problems for me ever since. I got median grades my 1L year, and have ended up with no offers after OCI. I am now considering a gap year--or dropping out entirely to reapply and hopefully go to H as I should have in the first place.

A gap year would give me another shot at OCI. I am not sure what went wrong during OCI. I believe it was a combination of small things; I was way less nervous than my classmates and I am naturally not very stiff and formal, and so I think I came across as not taking the interviews seriously or something. I also may have rambled too much at times. There were a couple questions to which I could have had better answers. I also had a previous career, albeit brief, and I think some firms may have had some doubts as to whether I was committed to law.

Should I take a gap year, I think the best job for me to do would be paralegal. It would show a commitment to wanting to be a lawyer and also to trying to fix whatever defeated me at OCI. That being said, if I managed to get a job in my previous career field, I would probably be able to make more money and I would be able to get my finances in better order before continuing law school.

Of course, before I get to the drop-out option, which I expect everyone will call me an idiot for considering, I have to address another option and ask a question about it. I could just take a job at a small or midsize firm or at a PI org/government, and then do OCI again as a 3L. My instinct is that working at a PI org is better. I think it’s a better narrative to say “I wanted to try PI, but decided to pursue big law now to help support my family and because of xyz reason about the PI work” than to basically admit I failed OCI the first time around and took a shitty job and now have to come back and try again. Am I right to think that? Has anyone succeeded doing either?

As I said, I don’t expect anything but warnings I am an idiot and other tough/mean straight-talk for thinking of dropping out and reapplying. After all, I would have like $100k in extra debt from this failed year and there is no guarantee H would admit me a second time around. Not to mention I heard I would have to be dissociated from my current school for at least a year prior to reapplying--if I can’t just drop out and reapply this cycle, I don’t think it’s a viable option. I’m getting old, I can’t wait that long, and am not sure what I would do with my self/life for that long. But I really hate the school I currently attend--passionately. I despise it. I like law school, and I want to be a lawyer, I just hate my school and feel like I'm in prison there. I don't want to go back, but I will if I have to.
i'm not a law student only prospective but i can see how it kinda see how one may get to the dilemma that you have. would you mind sharing your age and school in ccn?
i may have to make similar decision about school at some point and want to learn. even though from a law school perspective you may feel old but you may be amongst the youngest people in the workforce out there.

Jubo

Post by Jubo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm so sad I missed out on this thread

Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:20 pm

updates plz OP

WEED_QUESTIONER_420

Post by WEED_QUESTIONER_420 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:45 am

Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:20 pm
updates plz OP
There is no update, really. I ended up getting an offer from OCI, as mentioned earlier in the thread, and I am still at this school I hate. I hate being here everyday and wish I could exact revenge on this place somehow. Most of all, of course, I hate myself for having chosen this place over H.

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 am

OP I really think you might benefit from talking to a counselor of some kind. You don’t have to like your school but beating yourself up for being there instead of Harvard doesn’t sound healthy.

app

Post by app » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:45 am
Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
updates plz OP
There is no update, really. I ended up getting an offer from OCI, as mentioned earlier in the thread, and I am still at this school I hate. I hate being here everyday and wish I could exact revenge on this place somehow. Most of all, of course, I hate myself for having chosen this place over H.
op, which school is it? i posted earlier some questions could you respond to them for prospective students.

WEED_QUESTIONER_420

Post by WEED_QUESTIONER_420 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:15 pm

app wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm
Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
updates plz OP
op, which school is it? i posted earlier some questions could you respond to them for prospective students.
Feel free to DM me when you are choosing schools, and I will gladly tell you not to go to mine.

ggocat

Post by ggocat » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:16 pm

C'mon we all know it's Columbia.

RichardMilhousNixon

Post by RichardMilhousNixon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 pm

ggocat wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:16 pm

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Brushedsuedeluvr wrote:
updates plz OP
This language really worries me. I agree with nony. OP, please seek help. Counseling, therapy, any of it. It sounds like you have some festering issues that are degrading your mental health.

app

Post by app » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 pm

RichardMilhousNixon wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 pm
ggocat wrote:
any reason why people here think it's col? confused on what makes it different or worse than other CN in ccn?

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 am

app wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 pm
RichardMilhousNixon wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 pm
ggocat wrote:
any reason why people here think it's col? confused on what makes it different or worse than other CN in ccn?
Still think it's Chicago personally

Jubo

Post by Jubo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:57 pm

There aren't many (any?) fed clerkship positions you can get from Harvard median that you can't get from CCN median. Maybe the H name goes further in District of Iowa or something? Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Chicago median guy has an edge over H in District of Iowa.

I think it's Chicago or NYU because OP is under the mistaken impression that lay prestige is worth anything and Columbia is an ivy with much better lay recognition than Chicago or NYU.

I'm also trying and failing to see how choosing CCN over H is an "immoral" decision.

app

Post by app » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 pm

anyone know approx how many choose to matriculate out of class size of 360 at Col even though they had H offer?

app

Post by app » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:04 pm

This is what scares me about law school. that grades are apparently hard to predict even with hard work.

ggocat

Post by ggocat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 pm

app wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:04 pm
This is what scares me about law school. that grades are apparently hard to predict even with hard work.
That's why you go to a school under circumstances that grades don't matter: (1) because the school is so good you'll get a good job anywhere, (2) because you received such a large scholarship you won't be in (significant) debt, or (3) because daddy/mommy is a firm partner/owner and you're set regardless.

(disclaimer, yadda yadda, PSLF)

WEED_QUESTIONER_420

Post by WEED_QUESTIONER_420 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:21 am

Jubo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:57 pm

I think it's Chicago or NYU because OP is under the mistaken impression that lay prestige is worth anything and Columbia is an ivy with much better lay recognition than Chicago or NYU.
The difference between H and CCN isn't merely lay prestige. The outcomes and opportunities are palpably better across the board, not to mention the network one develops at H.

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:53 am

Eh. It's more like if you're buying the Mercedes anyway, do you need the tricked out top-of-the-line model or will a lower-end model do?

ggocat

Post by ggocat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 am

*manually rolls down window of my 1993 Honda Civic*
"Nice car, bud."

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:04 am

Nony wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:53 am
Eh. It's more like if you're buying the Mercedes anyway, do you need the tricked out top-of-the-line model or will a lower-end model do?

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Nony wrote:
perhaps this is what OP meant by "palpably" better - leather seats in a car that drives and looks the same

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:05 pm

icechicken wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:30 pm
Nony wrote:
perhaps this is what OP meant by "palpably" better - leather seats in a car that drives and looks the same
In this metaphor they both have leather seats.

jeff chiles

Post by jeff chiles » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:18 pm

idk like if your lease is up and you need a car, and you really want the AMG model and can swing the added cost, but due to allocation/supply issues you can’t get one for maybe another year so you settle for the still very nice, less exciting model, I can see being a little bummed knowing that you settled on a car that wasn’t quite what you wanted performance wise and still plunked down a lot of money to do so.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:22 pm

ford raptor