Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

Pacific Northwest Law Schools

Discuss comparisons of various school choices and the various metrics that inform them, including rankings, student life, location, etc.
HelloYesThisIsDog

Re: Pacific Northwest Law Schools

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sat May 05, 2018 9:25 am

binding_arbitration wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:41 am
What's the prognosis for Yale with medium ties? Much worse than Stanford or might the shiny #1ness be helpful if you can really sell that you want to live there?
It's the same as any other T13 to my knowledge. Show ties and that you want to live there. I'm assuming you're talking about Seattle.

Yale is very fancy but I don't have the impression Seattle employers view it much differently than Harvard or Stanford. I know two people who went from Yale to Seattle biglaw and I don't think they're very representative. I know one person who went from Yale to PI in Seattle, who is probably a better case study.

Rink

Post by Rink » Sat May 05, 2018 12:59 pm

binding_arbitration wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:41 am
What's the prognosis for Yale with medium ties? Much worse than Stanford or might the shiny #1ness be helpful if you can really sell that you want to live there?
"want to live there" because you went to Seattle once in the summer and thought it was neat, or because you're a PNW native with deep ties and a resume that bleeds Seattle/Portland green?

Honestly NW firms would love to have a Yale grad, but you'd have to work even harder than the Stanford student prove that you won't be bolting for NY. It comes down to what your ties are.

Gitaroo_Dude

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:32 am

Thoughts on K&L Gates and Perkins Coie up in Seattle? Got preselected for both at UCLA’s OCI, so gonna go into both thinking I have a good shot. No ties to the PNW but I love Seattle and will be crafting those interviews around addressing concerns about why i want to be there.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:32 am
Thoughts on K&L Gates and Perkins Coie up in Seattle? Got preselected for both at UCLA’s OCI, so gonna go into both thinking I have a good shot. No ties to the PNW but I love Seattle and will be crafting those interviews around addressing concerns about why i want to be there.
Beyond showing you have ties/interest? No there's not much else to say. They're a tough egg to crack though. Not many spots in the summer class and there are a significant number of students targeting them very hard. (UW and SU locally, plus peeps from Seattle area that went to law school elsewhere.)

So hopefully you have a way of differentiating yourself, either with spectacular grades, other accolades, or both, along with the ties mentioned previously.

DreamBrother

Post by DreamBrother » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:32 pm

I worked at one of Spokane’s biggest firms and most of the attorneys there went to Gonzaga. All of them regretted it because, according to them, getting out of the Spokane market is nearly impossible. Some were lucky enough to land a job in Seattle, but for most, Spokane was their ceiling.

lmb38

Post by lmb38 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:17 pm

If anyone has any further info or anecdata on government hiring in the PNW, I'd be particularly interested. It sounds like it was hinted at earlier that they might be less concerned about ties and/or going to local schools?

I'm in the process of re-applying this year after late apps hindered me in last cycle. But for the most part, the PNW schools seemed to be the worst financial options. I'm hesitant to think that it's a good idea to spend $30-$50k more to go to a PNW school unless I 1000% want to work in the PNW and PNW alone. I'm more in the boat of being very open and leaning toward working in the PNW, but also open to other options with west coast in general being my preference. Paying more for schools that limit your job prospects to only *maybe* being hired in the PNW sounds a little scary to me.

It seems that, post-school destination aside, a T20 would be my best school option. UCLA and USC are particularly interesting to me. I would be happy with a lower T13 if I managed to snag a big scholarship. I have little interest in biglaw though, which this thread seems to mostly be centered around. I'm more interested in government or maybe mid to small. Honestly, very open with what my career options are but I just don't see biglaw as being a fit for me. So that said, are there any ways that the door is a bit more open in the PNW? Government hiring perhaps? I would gauge that I have medium to strong ties in non-Portland (but Willamette Valley) Oregon and maybe medium or less ties to Seattle. PNW for majority of my life but it's a little spread out.

Thank you all for this extremely informative thread! It's been such good reading to get more familiar with the PNW hiring scene.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:42 pm

Government hiring is more open, but by not being physically in the PNW, you limit your ability to network as much with the people doing that hiring, or maybe externing with them during the school year. You may want to be a visiting student during 3L year at UW.

Nony

Post by Nony » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:30 pm

This isn't really PNW specific, but I think that the federal government tends to be less interested in ties, but local government will likely be more interested (and getting a local government job is more dependent on networking, ideally by being there, so I think Dog's suggestion about being a visiting student 3L makes sense). There are also not going to be a lot of federal government jobs in the PNW (especially entry level).

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:23 pm

Nony wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:30 pm
This isn't really PNW specific, but I think that the federal government tends to be less interested in ties, but local government will likely be more interested (and getting a local government job is more dependent on networking, ideally by being there, so I think Dog's suggestion about being a visiting student 3L makes sense). There are also not going to be a lot of federal government jobs in the PNW (especially entry level).
There are almost no entry level fed gov atty jobs in the PNW. I think the local Seattle SSI office hires attorneys and ALJs but not sure if it's entry level.