The LSL Forums are undergoing server maintenance throughout the week of May 9-15. The site may be intermittently slow or unresponsive during this time. Thanks for your patience.

Fourth Interview over three and half months

haus

Fourth Interview over three and half months

Post by haus » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Tomorrow I have my fourth interview with a small firm (less than 20 attorneys), along with many email exchanges over three and a half months. As I understand it, the position in question is incident response attorney. They are looking for someone to work with clients, and often a clients insurance firm when they have fallen victim to some form of attack (e.g., ransomware, business email compromise, insider threat).

I think the members of the firm are struggling with what to make of me. As an attorney, I am a rookie. I became a member of the bar in Feb this year after passing the pandemic rescheduled bar exam in Oct last year. Earlier this year, I had what may be one of the shortest tenures as an in-house counsel in history as my current employer 'promoted' me to director of security things and in-house counsel, only to have the CEO announce ~10 days later that he does not think that anyone at our organization should have an attorney title because it is "dangerous," so my new title went away.

Members of the firm have stated that they want someone with a strong background in IT, InfoSec, and Privacy, with an understanding of risk and project management. I have over a quarter-century of work experience in IT, 18 of these in InfoSec roles, and nearly a decade in incident response roles (both internal and consulting). I have certifications in areas they state are of interest, risk (CRISC), privacy (CIPP), project management (PMP), and in addition to my law degree, I hold a masters in IT.

I am trying to wrap my head around why this process has gone on for nearly four months. I assume it is not related to concerns about my experience in IT, InfoSec, or Privacy. So I am left with the idea that I have little experience as an attorney. It the previous rounds of interviews I have tried to focus on my time working in incident response and how closely I worked with legal teams both external and internal dealing with incidents, and how I have consulted for many firms in building incident response plans and playbooks to address their own environment and the regulatory concerns that the clients faced.

They seem interested enough to keep coming back and talking to me, but not enough to visibly move closer to making me an offer.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Given an opportunity to direct the conversation, is there something I should draw attention to (or, for that matter, avoid)?

effdee

Re: Fourth Interview over three and half months

Post by effdee » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:41 pm

if i were them i would probably be wondering why you want to work at a law firm rather than in-house and maybe thinking that your tenure at the firm would be a short hop to a new in house job

just a random guess having no experience in your field but in my experience working at small firms that is often a significant concern w/ new hires

haus

Post by haus » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:48 pm

interesting, I had not thought of it in that way.

As best as I can tell, not a lot of companies keep counsel on hand specifically for incident response. Some seem to have privacy attorneys who will step in and join an incident response team when something big occurs. Perhaps this will change in the future, but I think it might take a while.

effdee

Post by effdee » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:52 pm

you should just become an expert witness imo

haus

Post by haus » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:53 pm

at my last job with a DFIR firm, one of my roles was to review discovery and prep our expert witnesses

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:11 pm

Lawyers are conservative and slow moving. So they are dragging ass.

You’re reading way too many tea leaves here imo.

Tell them what you can do. Show them you’re still hungry even as an older practitioner. But also wise.

They’d be lucky to have you.

haus

Post by haus » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:14 pm

Thanks Johannes

Story

Post by Story » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:46 am

Could be a budget thing.

They don’t have the money to feel comfortable hiring you.

But they don’t want to lose you.

So they string you along with all these interviews.

That’s just speculation.

But it happened to me when I was in LS. I applied for a position. The first interview happened. Then I didn’t hear anything for a couple months. Then they called me for a second interview. And then a couple months went by, and then they called me for a third, and I declined. The time between the first and third interview request was about 1 year and some months. This was a gov agency, so budget may have been tight.

Just keep showing interest if you’re interested. If you have some deadline you can get or manufacture, then I would use that to push the firm to act sooner. Maybe if you have a current job offer somewhere else, you can let the firm know you have a deadline to act on that offer.

haus

Post by haus » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:35 am

The interview yesterday was informative.

I think that Story is right about this potentially being a budget concern, at least in part. As I understand it the firm is only a few years old and has been growing quite a bit, but they want to make sure that they do not get ahead of themselves. I gather that they are thinking of a January/February timeframe.

ETA: Is it just me, or is interview exhausting?

Story

Post by Story » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:16 pm

Yeah interviewing is exhausting.

At least you have a job while interviewing for other jobs.

Interviewing for jobs without having a current job sucks.

haus

Post by haus » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:57 pm

That is a very good point. I have been very fortunate in my career that only a few times in thirty years have I been in a situation where I did not have some type of income coming in when I was searching for work. Most of that was shortly after I had gotten out of the military.

The last time was around 2004 when the contract my company was on to provide InfoSec services to a government agency was canceled. It was awkward telling my in-laws that I had been laid off, but the market was hit and I did not have to wait long to get a new gig.

I think the experience may have spooked me a bit as I got motivated and completed my undergrad degree shortly thereafter and went straight into a masters program, I stayed that employer for seven years, even though it may have made sense to pursue other options.

haus

Post by haus » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:25 pm

I got a verbal offer today.

The money is not great, but I had anticipated that would be the case. I think the work would be interesting. I will be talking this over with my family through he holiday weekend.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Congratulations Haus!!

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:30 am

Congrats!

Story

Post by Story » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:08 am

Congratulations!