CS career megathread / AMA

app

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by app » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:13 pm

i've been pretty much putting in ~2hrs daily. i thought i'd do more during weekends, but somehow i couldn't pull it off.
been doing LC and the github sys design primer reading. i've been through the primer once now but didn't do any of the deep-dives into individual topics (links at the bottom of each section).
next i plan to begin going thru several design questions in the primer and then spend like 15 minutes attempting each before reading the solutions.
Last edited by app on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

app

Post by app » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:17 pm

jingosaur wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:02 pm
How much can I realistically make at a CS job in NYC and how long would it take me to get there with coding school, training, etc.? I know a little bit about coding and used to be a IT/ops consultant in fintech.
if you're hired for a position at big-n, then i think you can expect something close or a little more than a new grad. it may sound counter intuitive but my guess is that you may have a better chance of making it to a well known sw company that pays well than a podunk one simply because of the demand and the churn rate at the big ones.
what kind (language/platform/algorithms) of coding did you do? can you describe more of the extent of your knowledge of cs fundamentals/DS?
Last edited by app on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

app

Post by app » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:17 pm

anyone does LC weekend contests here?

jingosaur

Post by jingosaur » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:04 am

app wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:17 pm
jingosaur wrote:
How much can I realistically make at a CS job in NYC and how long would it take me to get there with coding school, training, etc.? I know a little bit about coding and used to be a IT/ops consultant in fintech.
if you're hired for a position at big-n, then i think you can expect something close or a little more than a new grad. it may sound counter intuitive but my guess is that you may have a better chance of making it to a well known sw company that pays well than a podunk one simply because of the demand and the churn rate at the big ones.
what kind (language/platform/algorithms) of coding did you do? can you describe more of the extent of your knowledge of cs fundamentals/DS?
My background is more on the implementation side. I also coded a website from scratch and turned a profit with it for a year or so before I shut it down.

Right now, I'm doing App Academy's full stack program.

app

Post by app » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:30 pm

jingosaur wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:04 am
app wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:17 pm
jingosaur wrote:
My background is more on the implementation side. I also coded a website from scratch and turned a profit with it for a year or so before I shut it down.

Right now, I'm doing App Academy's full stack program.
Php/html for website? What type of algos/language in the appacademy program?

jingosaur

Post by jingosaur » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:56 pm

App Academy is Ruby and JavaScript. The website was html/php

app

Post by app » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:11 pm

i am not much familiar with code academies but there are many around where i live. Do they guarantee or help placement? Full time course?

app

Post by app » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Had a phone interview with a startup yesterday. Offices at both coasts. Turned out interviewer was interested in some finicky aspects of c++ that i hadnt touched in a few years. Dont expect onsite but it would be useful as a practice session if it happens.

jingosaur

Post by jingosaur » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:24 pm

app wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:11 pm
i am not much familiar with code academies but there are many around where i live. Do they guarantee or help placement? Full time course?
I'm doing their online course so no guaranteed anything but it's free. My friend did the same course in person before they published it all online and pretty much everyone in his cohort got a good job. App Academy is one of the better ones. I just cant afford to quit my job and the part time ones aren't that great.

suralin

Post by suralin » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:33 pm

yeah app academy is legit. plenty of sketchy bootcamps but the good ones are good (w caveats that i've posted about, eg, employment stats are real but relatively tough admission requirements so if u can interview in u could probably do it yourself at a $$-time trade-off)

app

Post by app » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 pm

how do they make money, is it by collecting some type of fee once someone gets a job?

jingosaur

Post by jingosaur » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:37 pm

app wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 pm
how do they make money, is it by collecting some type of fee once someone gets a job?
The App Academy in person course charges a lot of money but they dont collect until after you get a job. I think companies also pay to have access to students. The online thing is just no strings attached free.

wizzy

Post by wizzy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:43 pm

Don’t they do ~25% of first year comp?

jingosaur

Post by jingosaur » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:57 pm

wizzy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:43 pm
Don’t they do ~25% of first year comp?
I'm not sure. But the online course is totally free.

app

Post by app » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:38 pm

jingo, good to see you here, i think i recall you from the lsat forum the old one. what kind of work you do now?

app

Post by app » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:41 pm

surprisingly got the onsite invite from the startup. going to schedule it in about 3-4 weeks from now so i'm a bit prepped for it.

jingosaur

Post by jingosaur » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 pm

app wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:38 pm
jingo, good to see you here, i think i recall you from the lsat forum the old one. what kind of work you do now?
Congrats on the onsite! I was doing corporate work at a V10 and I left as a junior to go to a <100 attorney firm. It was definitely a great switch, but being a lawyer isn't the best job for me and what I want to do long term, and I learned while trying to leave the V10 that getting a non-legal job as a lawyer is damn near impossible.

wizzy

Post by wizzy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 am

jingosaur wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 pm
app wrote:
Congrats on the onsite! I was doing corporate work at a V10 and I left as a junior to go to a <100 attorney firm. It was definitely a great switch, but being a lawyer isn't the best job for me and what I want to do long term, and I learned while trying to leave the V10 that getting a non-legal job as a lawyer is damn near impossible.
Definitely a good call trying to switch out of law. I think a CS career is much more rewarding, and I agree that you often get pigeonholed into law or something legal related once people see a JD on your resume.

Are you targeting software engineering jobs in the future?

jingosaur

Post by jingosaur » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:55 pm

wizzy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 am
jingosaur wrote:
app wrote:
Definitely a good call trying to switch out of law. I think a CS career is much more rewarding, and I agree that you often get pigeonholed into law or something legal related once people see a JD on your resume.

Yeah, the plan is to target software engineering jobs at first. The more long term plan is to manage the day to day of a company. I actually got an offer to run the operations of a very well-funded startup when I was trying to leave my first firm, but the boomers on the fucking board rescinded it because they thought I didnt have enough experience.

wizzy

Post by wizzy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:23 pm

jingosaur wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:55 pm
wizzy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 am
jingosaur wrote:
app wrote:

Yeah, the plan is to target software engineering jobs at first. The more long term plan is to manage the day to day of a company. I actually got an offer to run the operations of a very well-funded startup when I was trying to leave my first firm, but the boomers on the fucking board rescinded it because they thought I didnt have enough experience.
That's dope dude

Tech is so hot right now, yet it seems like there's still a divide between the engineering side of companies and the business side. There are so many great products out there, but operations and GTM strategy are often lacking, and I think there aren't that many people out there who really understand both the tech side and the business side. Seems like a cool career path if you can gain fluency in both.

And sucks that you had to deal with boomers rescinding your offer. COO? Such a dumb boomer protectionist policy to save olds by saying 20+ YOE only pls. Especially bizarre in tech since their employees are so young.
Last edited by wizzy on Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suralin

Post by suralin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:32 pm

agreed

really good PMs are in high demand and idt you can be really good in product unless you’re tech conversant esp w data

also all the PMs i’ve worked w seem to have dope exit options

app

Post by app » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:00 pm

what kind/field of startup that was? vc funded, if so which round?

app

Post by app » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:18 pm

wow the on-topics like the application and lsat forum here seems dead. the last post was like 2 weeks ago. anyone know what happened here?

wizzy

Post by wizzy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Wasn't it the same way last summer too?

Probably a combo of many on-topic posters not making the migration from TLS and June/July kinda being dead months for applications since apps aren't open yet. But yeah, there should still be an LSAT study/waiter group with the test coming up in two weeks. Or some waitlist movement over the summer.

jingosaur

Post by jingosaur » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:30 pm

app wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:00 pm
what kind/field of startup that was? vc funded, if so which round?
New media company that had $12.5 million in seed revenue and was about a year from revenue. Title would have been head of business operations. One of those rare new startups with no tech involved.