CS career megathread / AMA

app
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by app » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 am

It would be interesting to know what poster rustyshackelfordd decided to do. i think he was considering a switch to law or had already switched.
it looks like once companies begin to open up after shutdown, there would be lots more career switches.
anyone here waiting for things to open up?

User avatar
wizzy
Posts: 11819
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by wizzy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:00 am

app wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 am
It would be interesting to know what poster rustyshackelfordd decided to do. i think he was considering a switch to law or had already switched.
it looks like once companies begin to open up after shutdown, there would be lots more career switches.
anyone here waiting for things to open up?
You mean once offices open up?

I'm not sure why SWEs would switch careers at a higher rate now when they can be fully remote (other industries have less flexibility for WFH) and tech stocks are at ATHs (other industries suck for equity based comp).

app
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by app » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:08 pm

wizzy wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:00 am
app wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:30 am
It would be interesting to know what poster rustyshackelfordd decided to do. i think he was considering a switch to law or had already switched.
it looks like once companies begin to open up after shutdown, there would be lots more career switches.
anyone here waiting for things to open up?
You mean once offices open up?

I'm not sure why SWEs would switch careers at a higher rate now when they can be fully remote (other industries have less flexibility for WFH) and tech stocks are at ATHs (other industries suck for equity based comp).
yeah, i meant once offices open up. the turnover (moving to different employer) at sw companies seems to be much higher than pre-pandemic times.
i for one would like for things to be somewhat similar to what it was before, instead of remote.

in my current company, it's the most job reqs i have seen open in a long time, but not enough people to fill them.

app
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by app » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:10 pm

Recently also decided to leave my current company. initially it was supposed to RTO in summer this year, but now the earliest is early next year.

app
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by app » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:19 pm

wizzy wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:00 am
You mean once offices open up?

I'm not sure why SWEs would switch careers at a higher rate now when they can be fully remote (other industries have less flexibility for WFH) and tech stocks are at ATHs (other industries suck for equity based comp).
how is the preference for wfh/remote versus onsite in other industries/law?

app
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by app » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:18 pm

A different recruiter from a previous company contacted. Planning to take the offer this time.

**This thread seems much quieter than in the past. Or is the site in general less active?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by haus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:19 am

Congrats app, I hope that the new role works out nicely for you

app
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by app » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:32 pm

haus wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:19 am
thx tbh i expect it to be rough in the beginning, based on some of the stories i've heard. last time didn't have good fb recruiter experience, different than this time.
i heard they are revamping their perf appraisal system from every 6 months to once per year. that could make it more bearable.


in general the job market seems hotter than i've seen in the past. are you planning to change job? you moved from tech to jd?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by haus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:27 pm

I took my current job almost a year ago on the promise that once my bar membership became final it would be a dual hat role (director of security stuff and in-house counsel). On the bright side, they “promoted” me as promised, but within a month of the promotion the CEO changed his mind. It seems that he decided he did not want anyone at the org to have an attorney title, because he thinks it is “dangerous”. So my title was changed to remove in-house counsel.

I have been mildly looking and have two promising leads. A small law firm (~20 attorneys) that is focused on cybersecurity and data privacy has expressed interest in me for a role as a incident response attorney. The other option is a role with a fed agency that I used to work for. They have a 15 slot that was created when my old job (leading SOC/CSIRT as a 14) was broken into two parts, this new role adds an emphasis to adapting process. And procedure for incident response related to regulation and guidance from various agencies. The later is not a attorney job, but the jd does not hurt.

If neither of these comes through by the end of January I will likely start looking for something more aggressively.

app
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by app » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:33 pm

haus wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:27 pm
I took my current job almost a year ago on the promise that once my bar membership became final it would be a dual hat role (director of security stuff and in-house counsel). On the bright side, they “promoted” me as promised, but within a month of the promotion the CEO changed his mind. It seems that he decided he did not want anyone at the org to have an attorney title, because he thinks it is “dangerous”. So my title was changed to remove in-house counsel.

I have been mildly looking and have two promising leads. A small law firm (~20 attorneys) that is focused on cybersecurity and data privacy has expressed interest in me for a role as a incident response attorney. The other option is a role with a fed agency that I used to work for. They have a 15 slot that was created when my old job (leading SOC/CSIRT as a 14) was broken into two parts, this new role adds an emphasis to adapting process. And procedure for incident response related to regulation and guidance from various agencies. The later is not a attorney job, but the jd does not hurt.

If neither of these comes through by the end of January I will likely start looking for something more aggressively.
your current role as dir of security, is it mainly tech/security-sw development or is it more like product or something else pertaining to business law?

do you prefer to move into more law/jd role now from tech? i'd assume with all the developments that are going on in tech, there would be similar increase in demands for lawyers who know both, or is that false?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Re: CS career megathread / AMA

Post by haus » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:20 pm

My current role is with a credit union. The job covers a lot of ground, I am responsible for the implementation, maintenance and monitoring or our security stack (think Firewalls, DNS filtering, end point security, IDS/IPS, SIEM), work with IT on patch management/vulnerability assessment, help establish baselines for configurations and arrange to test compliance with same.

We just went through our audit by NCUA, in prep for that I worked with vendors who performed a variety of test (pen test, social engineering, etc…). Also spent a lot of time working with insurance companies as we were looking for options on cyber insurance.

Much of our internal policy related to IT/InfoSec was boiler plate documents bought from a vendor and little of it has been modified to reflect the realities within the org. So I spend quite a bit of time in replacing these documents with things that are not fiction.

We have an in-house development team, but it is fairly small. We work with them to ensure that the code they produce is run through static and dynamic code review before it goes into production.

So far this year I have spent time reviewing the new privacy laws in Virginia and California, looking at guidance and regulation from agencies repeated to changes in incident notification. Then advising the executive team on the changes we need to make as well as suggesting a path forward to allow

In large part I enjoy the work that I do, in a new job I would like to stay involved at some level with the tech, but leveraging my legal education more would be nice.

I do think there is a need for more attorneys who have experience/understanding of security operations. But you will not see job postings for a person who has years (or decades) of InfoSec experience and are also an attorney because it is not the way that law firms think, and is is extremely unlikely to find such a person through the traditional law firm hiring funnels.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest