Outcomes for people who have transferred

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
app

Re: Outcomes for people who have transferred

Post by app »

i thought transfer admissions is much like the regular admission to 1st yr esp at h, numbers-based. Like a median gpa and 1 point above median lsat has p much a solid shot or almost lock at h, is 33 percentile at col similar to it, or not so? I see why not everyone who is capable of getting xfer to hys based on grades may not apply for one.

I remember seeing somewhere on tls before it became the ghost town it is now that top 5-10% is needed to xfer from t20 to hys, but not sure if that puts them at an almost lock or if it is like applying w a tad below median lsat/gpa. since ccn is t6, any idea top 5-10% at t20 would be equivalent to what percent at ccn for xfer purpose?
icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken »

app wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:46 amI remember seeing somewhere on tls before it became the ghost town it is now that top 5-10% is needed to xfer from t20 to hys, but not sure if that puts them at an almost lock or if it is like applying w a tad below median lsat/gpa. since ccn is t6, any idea top 5-10% at t20 would be equivalent to what percent at ccn for xfer purpose?
You've already been told the answer to this question, as precisely as anybody knows: roughly top-third to have a legit shot and somewhere in the 10-20% area to be confident about one's chances. The "legit shot" and "confident" thresholds for a student at UCLA or WashU, on the other hand, seem to fall somewhere in the top decile, which you're apparently also aware of.

We can only estimate because, again, people with the grades to transfer from another elite school to HYS usually don't want to, so the data are extremely thin. The Vanderbilt-to-Columbia GPA conversion table you seem to be imagining doesn't exist.
bvest

Post by bvest »

I transferred for personal reasons from T50 (~6%) to T20 and graduated in top 10% but outside top 6%. My outcomes were probably worse after transferring, but that may be more market based than anything. I stayed in a tight market where my graduating school is, whereas my 1L school was in a much larger market. That said, I'm happy with where I ended up and I don't work biglaw hours.