Top 15% at mid-T14, transfer to HYS?

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
ThisIsABadIdea

Top 15% at mid-T14, transfer to HYS?

Post by ThisIsABadIdea » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 pm

I didn't expect to do this well this semester, so I'm still kind of processing it and going over my options.

Is top 15% a good enough result at a mid-T14 to give me a decent chance at transferring to HYS (and if not, what would be), and is that a good or terrible idea? I'm planning on BigLaw and also want a federal clerkship. I've got about a half-ride, but fortunately I'm in a position to pay tuition out of pocket - that's still a hell of a lot of money that I'd be leaving on the table, but I wouldn't have to worry about the debt. My gut impulse is that it doesn't make any sense to transfer because of missing journal/already great options at my current school/just the hassle of moving, but I'd like some other opinions.

Alternatively, I've heard that some schools will increase your scholarship if they hear you're considering transferring - is that a possibility at a mid-T14?

necho2

Re: Top 15% at mid-T14, transfer to HYS?

Post by necho2 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:54 pm

With those goals, my initial reaction is that you will forfeit more in terms of connections w/ profs and potential for journal than you would gain from a transfer. The other complication I see is that maybe with the new hiring plan you will have a full year of 2L grades before clerkship competition heats up, so you won't be as disadvantaged as transfers used to be.

No idea on the scholarship thing (or exactly what your transfer odds would be assuming 15% continues), but I've heard that possibility tossed around too.

ThisIsABadIdea

Post by ThisIsABadIdea » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:11 pm

necho2 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:54 pm
With those goals, my initial reaction is that you will forfeit more in terms of connections w/ profs and potential for journal than you would gain from a transfer. The other complication I see is that maybe with the new hiring plan you will have a full year of 2L grades before clerkship competition heats up, so you won't be as disadvantaged as transfers used to be.

No idea on the scholarship thing (or exactly what your transfer odds would be assuming 15% continues), but I've heard that possibility tossed around too.
Yeah that makes sense. I'll have to think about it/do some more research.

Is it impossible to get journal as a transfer? I've heard of older lawyers who were on journals at their transfer school, but the impression I get is that these days there's no way to make it happen.

loslakers

Post by loslakers » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:45 am

ThisIsABadIdea wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:11 pm
necho2 wrote:

Is it impossible to get journal as a transfer? I've heard of older lawyers who were on journals at their transfer school, but the impression I get is that these days there's no way to make it happen.
When I applied to transfer to the T6 they told me that I could and should do the write on and that I would probably be placed on a journal if I did so. Not sure if it works the same way at HYS though.

necho2

Post by necho2 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 am

Not sure on journals generally, but I haven't seen any transfer students on the masthead of LR in the last couple years at my T6. Again, if you're just looking for a journal of some kind, and you assume the hiring plan is still followed by enough judges that you have a whole year to connect with new profs, it might be slightly more workable with those goals.

Do you have any sense whether you might qualify for need-based aid? Family income below 100k, or in your late 20s so they undercount it?

ThisIsABadIdea

Post by ThisIsABadIdea » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:53 pm

necho2 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 am
Not sure on journals generally, but I haven't seen any transfer students on the masthead of LR in the last couple years at my T6. Again, if you're just looking for a journal of some kind, and you assume the hiring plan is still followed by enough judges that you have a whole year to connect with new profs, it might be slightly more workable with those goals.

Do you have any sense whether you might qualify for need-based aid? Family income below 100k, or in your late 20s so they undercount it?
That's good to know, thanks! I suppose if I got serious about this I could ask these questions of the admissions office before making a decision.

I'm fairly confident I wouldn't qualify for anything. If being married means that they don't count your parents' income then I might qualify for a little, but I don't see anything to that effect on the schools' websites.

Toni

Post by Toni » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:09 pm

If you have any kind of a significant scholarship it’s likely you may have to pay a chargeback if you transfer. i.e., if the school paid for your first year and a percentage of years two and three, a transfer could be costly. Just sayin’... read the fine print.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Don't transfer. But feel free to continue "entertaining" the idea if doing so gets you more scholarship money from your current school.

The cash you'd spend on full tuition elsewhere should be parked in some kind of long term investment. You'll thank yourself in 20 years.

Goldie

Post by Goldie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:08 pm

ThisIsABadIdea wrote:
necho2 wrote:

At HLS, you can participate in the write-on for Law Review, but you'd have to do it when their 1Ls do it, which will definitely be before you know if you have been accepted to HLS, and may be the same week as your 1L school's write-on.

app

Post by app » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:17 am

loslakers wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:45 am
ThisIsABadIdea wrote:
necho2 wrote:

When I applied to transfer to the T6 they told me that I could and should do the write on and that I would probably be placed on a journal if I did so. Not sure if it works the same way at HYS though.
just doing the write-on is likely to get a transfer placed on a journal? aren't only a handful of those who do the write-on eventually selected?

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:53 am

Can’t speak to Harvard specifically, but at a lot of schools it’s common that if you do the write-on you will get on *a* journal. You just can’t guarantee that it will be *law review,* which is really the goal for a lot of people (and depending on how the OP’a current school selects for law review, that may be something they can anticipate at their current school based on grades).

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 am

1. Decent shot at transferring
2. You can get on law review, but it's difficult and honestly not worth it. At least at HLS, as previously noted, you have to do their write on in April of this year (2 months before you'd know if you ever get accepted).
3. I don't know how to get on non law review journals.
4. Think about whether the debt is worth it and whether you can get your goals from your current school.

Cannonballer

Post by Cannonballer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:25 pm

As for HLS, you can walk on to any journal that’s not the law review as a transfer. I know several transfers who are now in senior editorial positions on journals.

OakBrook

Post by OakBrook » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:57 am

Nebby wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 am
1. Decent shot at transferring
2. You can get on law review, but it's difficult and honestly not worth it. At least at HLS, as previously noted, you have to do their write on in April of this year (2 months before you'd know if you ever get accepted).
3. I don't know how to get on non law review journals.
4. Think about whether the debt is worth it and whether you can get your goals from your current school.
Write on is actually in mid-may this year, which may actually be worse since other t14'ers will likely be already at their summer jobs. They'd be competing with people who take the whole week off to focus on the write on.