Transfer Possibility

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
lkoy

Transfer Possibility

Post by lkoy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:50 pm

I attend a TT law school that surprisingly has strong pull in the regional market I'm in. I am completely fine with staying inside the regional market I'm in and I believe that I can place well job wise inside the market with the current school.

I just got grades back and am top 2% of my class. Is it worth attempting to transfer out to target a bigger market and potentially higher pay? I would like a strong mid sized firm or big-law. The region I am in does not have any true big law firms but have strong mid sized firms which are basically "big law" for the region.

Does it make sense to transfer and lose 75-100% scholarship? Additionally, which schools would be best to capitalize on trying to achieve a better job / career placement.

Side note, I'm in the south but am not willing to disclose exact market.

Stranger

Re: Transfer Possibility

Post by Stranger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Well, if we take Nebby's notes on this, you're competitive from CCN on down. So it's relatively likely you *could* transfer.

The more important question is whether you want to. Would you be happier with $150-200K debt and a potential biglaw gig in a national market, or at your much lower debt rate working at a regional firm in your current market? After a semester (maybe more?) there, is this somewhere you want to spend the rest of your life?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:02 am

A lot of this depends on your future goals. Do you want to stay long term in your current market? Or do you want to work in a large market like NYC, DC, Chicago?

How much debt will you have upon graduating from your current law school? (UG+law debt)

lkoy

Post by lkoy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:51 am

UG + Law Debt would likely equal less than 100K at current law school.
I could see myself living comfortably in my current market. My main goal is to get into a firm I enjoy at a six figure + salary that has potential to grow.
Obviously, if I could get into somewhere more prestigious like a T14+ I would definitely be interested.
I'm just wondering - what are some potential advantages of starting your career off in a major market?

Does salary expectancy increase dramatically? The cost of living in my current market is pretty low so a starting salary here of 110,000 to 130,000 is only slightly below the 190,000 mark of NYC when you account for inflation. However, NYC is still slightly better pay even when considering inflated cost of living.

lkoy

Post by lkoy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:52 am

Last edited by lkoy on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.