Guide for Transferring to Another Law School

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
switch

Re: Guide for Transferring to Another Law School

Post by switch » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 am

Hi Nebby -- any guidance about resumes? I have a few things that I usually do not put on my 1-page resume that I'm considering putting on my xfer application resume. I'm thinking of a language program that I did in Europe and some volunteer work. I think it makes me seem more rounded out and interesting, but not really relevant to professional applications. What do you think?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:51 am

switch wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 am
Hi Nebby -- any guidance about resumes? I have a few things that I usually do not put on my 1-page resume that I'm considering putting on my xfer application resume. I'm thinking of a language program that I did in Europe and some volunteer work. I think it makes me seem more rounded out and interesting, but not really relevant to professional applications. What do you think?
I would put it so long as your resume isn't cluttered. Are you K-JD?

switch

Post by switch » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Nebby wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:51 am
switch wrote:
No, 3 years work experience. Does that matter? I don't think it will be cluttered but it will go onto two pgs.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:03 pm

switch wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:03 pm
Nebby wrote:
switch wrote:
No, 3 years work experience. Does that matter? I don't think it will be cluttered but it will go onto two pgs.
I think you can fit all that onto one page without it being cluttered

notlegaladvice

Post by notlegaladvice » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Nebby wrote:
switch wrote:
Nebby wrote:
switch wrote:
I think you can fit all that onto one page without it being cluttered
Agree. My .02: each of those things you mentioned merits no more than one line, possibly in an "additional information" section at the bottom, which could include categories like languages, interests, and volunteer work. If the language program was during college, put it there under "activities" or similar. I'm guessing there's a way to make the descriptions of your 3yrs WE a bit shorter to make room.

LawSchoolGeek

Post by LawSchoolGeek » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:39 pm

How do schools measure GPA versus class rank? My GPA is 4.07 (hoping to bump it up more with spring grades) putting me in top 2% at my school (T2). But would my GPA be given more weight than my class rank or vice versa?

notlegaladvice

Post by notlegaladvice » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:31 am

LawSchoolGeek wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:39 pm
How do schools measure GPA versus class rank? My GPA is 4.07 (hoping to bump it up more with spring grades) putting me in top 2% at my school (T2). But would my GPA be given more weight than my class rank or vice versa?
Schools are going to look at both because a GPA doesn't mean much without ranking it against all other GPAs. I mean, in 99% of cases, 4.07 is an objectively outstanding GPA. But if there's a high mean/curve and a bunch of people with 4.2s and 4.3s or whatever, your grades are going to look slightly less impressive, and that will be reflected in your class rank.

In any case, the weight that adcomms give GPA vs. rank, if that even exists, is something completely out of your control. The only thing you can really do to help yourself is focus on nailing your exams.

eta: Is the top 2% calculation from your school, or is it based on your own calculation? If the latter, do not, under any circumstances, put that number on your resume or transfer apps. You can only put whatever number the school officially gives out
Last edited by notlegaladvice on Tue May 01, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:00 pm

LawSchoolGeek wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:39 pm
First, if your school does not provide official rankings or official percentiles, then don't report "top 2%" on a resume.

Second, if they do provide rankings/percentiles, then the answer to your question is "it depends." If two GPAs are the same, e.g., 3.8, then the next thing a school will likely look at is (1) rank and (2) school rank.

For example, a 3.8 that is top 5% will be looked at more favorably than a 3.8 that is top 10%. Additionally, a 3.8 that is at a T14 will be looked at more favorably than a 3.8 at a TT.

bvest

Post by bvest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm

When in doubt, ask career services what you're allowed to say about class rank. For example, some schools will tell you where certain percentiles fall, so you may have a 3.88 and the school tells you that top 10% is 3.76, but nothing more precise than that. Then you would put something like "GPA 3.88 (top 10% at 3.76)"

But yeah, as Nebby says, the target schools should have a pretty good idea where your 4.07 falls for that school and what they think of upper-end students from that school generally.

EncyclopediaOrange

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 am

Tagging in. Transferred from a midwestern TT to NYU. Doing the big law thing. Happy to help answer questions.

switch

Post by switch » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:56 pm

Does anyone have guidance on mass-mailing while waiting for transfer decisions. Would it be better to hold off on sending off resumes/cover letters until you have successfully transferred somewhere? How does the timeline change with transfers?

ProsecutorMustache

Post by ProsecutorMustache » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 am

I, like many people I'm assuming, sent a resume with my primary application that listed my first semester GPA only. Should I send an updated resume listing my new GPA and class rank even though these are included in my transcript and statement of class rank from my school? I'm a little concerned about doing it now since my status is "complete and submitted for review," at least at one school. Perhaps more importantly, my original resume didn't include my summer work experience, although it isn't anything that special.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:15 am

ProsecutorMustache wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 am
I, like many people I'm assuming, sent a resume with my primary application that listed my first semester GPA only. Should I send an updated resume listing my new GPA and class rank even though these are included in my transcript and statement of class rank from my school? I'm a little concerned about doing it now since my status is "complete and submitted for review," at least at one school. Perhaps more importantly, my original resume didn't include my summer work experience, although it isn't anything that special.
Sorry for the late response. Did your previous resume indicate where you are interning this summer? If not, then submit a new resume with that experience and update the GPA too.

If your original resume had where you are interning this summer, then there's no need to update. You are correct that your transcript provides them all the grade information they need.

indianrunner

Post by indianrunner » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:21 am

Nebby wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:15 am
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 am
Sorry for the late response. Did your previous resume indicate where you are interning this summer? If not, then submit a new resume with that experience and update the GPA too.

If your original resume had where you are interning this summer, then there's no need to update. You are correct that your transcript provides them all the grade information they need.
I don’t see anything wrong with submitting an updated resume just to be sure that information is seen. I can’t imagine that knocking you in any way. I remember speaking to ad comms about this and they encouraged sending any updates to my file as they come in.

ProsecutorMustache

Post by ProsecutorMustache » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks guys, I submitted the updated resume.

ProsecutorMustache

Post by ProsecutorMustache » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 am

Would it be appropriate to email the schools I’m still pending at to inform them that a school I’ve been accepted to requires a deposit by the end of this week? I know that tuition deposits aren’t necessarily binding, but given the short timeline for OCI bidding etc I would not feel comfortable backing out after payment. The school I’ve been accepted to has made it clear they intend to get me right into the swing of things immediately upon receiving the deposit.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 am
Would it be appropriate to email the schools I’m still pending at to inform them that a school I’ve been accepted to requires a deposit by the end of this week? I know that tuition deposits aren’t necessarily binding, but given the short timeline for OCI bidding etc I would not feel comfortable backing out after payment. The school I’ve been accepted to has made it clear they intend to get me right into the swing of things immediately upon receiving the deposit.
Yes, it is appropriate.

Tuition deposits are not binding, and you should not treat them as such out of some misplaced sense of "honor." There is absolutely nothing wrong with paying a deposit, and then going elsewhere.

I was accepted at GULC and paid two deposits before I was accepted and ultimately matriculated at CLS. Before I was accepted at CLS, I had met with someone in OCS at GULC for advising.

I did not feel bad at all for ultimately choosing to attend CLS. You only have one life and you need to go where you will have the best opportunities.

Lightbulb38

Post by Lightbulb38 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:31 pm

Does anyone know if receiving an interview is a good sign for Chicago

ProsecutorMustache

Post by ProsecutorMustache » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Nebby wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:20 pm
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 am
Yes, it is appropriate.

Tuition deposits are not binding, and you should not treat them as such out of some misplaced sense of "honor." There is absolutely nothing wrong with paying a deposit, and then going elsewhere.

I was accepted at GULC and paid two deposits before I was accepted and ultimately matriculated at CLS. Before I was accepted at CLS, I had met with someone in OCS at GULC for advising.

I did not feel bad at all for ultimately choosing to attend CLS. You only have one life and you need to go where you will have the best opportunities.
Thanks Nebby!

Post by 1221 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Lightbulb38 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:31 pm
Yes - AFAIK they don't give interviews to all applicants. Any movement on that front can definitely be viewed as a good sign. FYI the interview questions are pretty standard - why Uchi, what do you want to do, where do you want to do OCI, what firms have you looked at. My sense is that any initiative on your part to show that you've already done a lot of the legwork on this stuff (w/e its PI, Biglaw, or clerking) will be a net positive on the margins. (Source: interviewed last year and was accepted, but chose a different school)

Lightbulb38

Post by Lightbulb38 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 pm

1221 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:44 pm
Lightbulb38 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:31 pm
Yes - AFAIK they don't give interviews to all applicants. Any movement on that front can definitely be viewed as a good sign. FYI the interview questions are pretty standard - why Uchi, what do you want to do, where do you want to do OCI, what firms have you looked at. My sense is that any initiative on your part to show that you've already done a lot of the legwork on this stuff (w/e its PI, Biglaw, or clerking) will be a net positive on the margins. (Source: interviewed last year and was accepted, but chose a different school)
Pm sent.

Lightbulb38

Post by Lightbulb38 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:44 pm

I’m thinking about sending a loci to my top choice school. I haven’t heard anything yet. Would it be bad to do this?

tofuspeedstar

Post by tofuspeedstar » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Also happy to take questions though my experience is recent. This guide helped a lot. Transferred from a lower T2 (80-100 range) to a T25.

paradiselost9

Post by paradiselost9 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:21 pm

any career paths where Penn w/law review is better than H below median? assuming equal COA

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 pm

paradiselost9 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:21 pm
any career paths where Penn w/law review is better than H below median? assuming equal COA
Presumably most paths