Guide for Transferring to Another Law School

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
ProsecutorMustache

Re: Advice for Transferring to the Top 14 [update under construction]

Post by ProsecutorMustache » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:28 am

Cool, thanks guys

Nebby

Re: Guide for Transferring to the Top 14

Post by Nebby » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Updated guide is complete

indianrunner

Post by indianrunner » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:33 am

Nebby wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:19 pm
Great post. One thing that I would suggest adding is the different OCI process at some schools, which can make a huge difference in OCI results. For instance, my T30 I transferred from had pre-select processes for screeners where at HYS it was a random lottery based system, not to mention most top NY or DC firms didn’t even come on campus. That increased exposure got my in front of more people I would have otherwise had to reach out to through mass mail. Just by virtue of getting an interview where that otherwise may not have happened, transfers I think end up over-performing compared to their previous school in most cases. I don’t think it’s always the case that law firms compare transfers to students of that student’s prior school for that reason. I know I’m speaking from the perspective of an HYS transfer, but I never got the sense I was being looked at differently to my HYS native classmates with average to above average grades.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:54 am

indianrunner wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:33 am
Nebby wrote:
Great post. One thing that I would suggest adding is the different OCI process at some schools, which can make a huge difference in OCI results. For instance, my T30 I transferred from had pre-select processes for screeners where at HYS it was a random lottery based system, not to mention most top NY or DC firms didn’t even come on campus. That increased exposure got my in front of more people I would have otherwise had to reach out to through mass mail. Just by virtue of getting an interview where that otherwise may not have happened, transfers I think end up over-performing compared to their previous school in most cases. I don’t think it’s always the case that law firms compare transfers to students of that student’s prior school for that reason. I know I’m speaking from the perspective of an HYS transfer, but I never got the sense I was being looked at differently to my HYS native classmates with average to above average grades.
I don't know what value that would add. Can you explain what the OCI section would look like?

Nony

Post by Nony » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:17 am

I wonder if that’s the kind of discussion that would make sense in a separate OCI guide (although maybe noting that the T14 generally aren’t pre-select - is it UVA or GT that has partial pre-select?).

Also, iirc isn’t there at least one T14 that doesn’t let transfers participate in OCI (or maybe I should say doesn’t admit them till after OCI)? I think in terms of transferring generally that’s an important thing to consider, though I realize it’s generally not the case for the T14.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:21 am

UVA is blended, that is correct.

And I’m pretty sure it’s cornell that doesn’t allow transfers to do OCI.

indianrunner

Post by indianrunner » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am

Nebby wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:54 am
indianrunner wrote:
Nebby wrote:
I don't know what value that would add. Can you explain what the OCI section would look like?
I’m just not sure I agree with the statement that a 1% student at the 1L school that wouldn’t be hired at X firm wouldn’t be hired as a transfer student at a new school. A guaranteed in person screener can bring a different result than a resume sent to an online portal for a firm that doesn’t typically hire from that school, for whatever reason. I understand that is specific to the school someone is transferring to, but I still think that interview exposure is a huge benefit.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 pm

indianrunner wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am
Nebby wrote:
indianrunner wrote:
Nebby wrote:
I’m just not sure I agree with the statement that a 1% student at the 1L school that wouldn’t be hired at X firm wouldn’t be hired as a transfer student at a new school. A guaranteed in person screener can bring a different result than a resume sent to an online portal for a firm that doesn’t typically hire from that school, for whatever reason. I understand that is specific to the school someone is transferring to, but I still think that interview exposure is a huge benefit.
I don't agree with that statement either. That's why I said:
Transfers do well at OCI due to their good grades. However, most law firms will view you compared to your old school and not your new. So if the firm would not even hire a top 1% student from your 1L school, then they likely will not hire you at your new, much higher ranked school as a transfer.

indianrunner

Post by indianrunner » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Nebby wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 pm
indianrunner wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am
Nebby wrote:
indianrunner wrote:
Nebby wrote:
I don't agree with that statement either. That's why I said:
Transfers do well at OCI due to their good grades. However, most law firms will view you compared to your old school and not your new. So if the firm would not even hire a top 1% student from your 1L school, then they likely will not hire you at your new, much higher ranked school as a transfer.
Okay then. You win.

ball is life

Post by ball is life » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Nony wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:17 am
I wonder if that’s the kind of discussion that would make sense in a separate OCI guide (although maybe noting that the T14 generally aren’t pre-select - is it UVA or GT that has partial pre-select?).

Also, iirc isn’t there at least one T14 that doesn’t let transfers participate in OCI (or maybe I should say doesn’t admit them till after OCI)? I think in terms of transferring generally that’s an important thing to consider, though I realize it’s generally not the case for the T14.
GT also has mixed OCI

bvest

Post by bvest » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:39 pm

I realize that this is now T14 rather than "another law school," but UT also has mixed pre-select/lottery.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:16 pm

I should change the title. The information is mostly general and the only T-14 specific stuff was the data I compiled for the various charts.

Head
Excellence is a habit

Re: Guide for Transferring to Another Law School

Post by Head » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:42 am

Question; Could you define "South" when it comes to Duke and UVA anecdotal preferences? Do you just mean everywhere below the Mason-Dixon line, or southern states near the schools, like the Carolinas and Virginias?

Head
Excellence is a habit

Post by Head » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:42 am

Also, thank you for such an awesome post!

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:40 am

Head wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:42 am
Question; Could you define "South" when it comes to Duke and UVA anecdotal preferences? Do you just mean everywhere below the Mason-Dixon line, or southern states near the schools, like the Carolinas and Virginias?
Southern states near the schools.

Head
Excellence is a habit

Post by Head » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:58 am

Thank you, Mr. Squirtle.

Head
Excellence is a habit

Post by Head » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:01 pm

I know you can look at the 509's and see who transferred into a school, but is there any way to see where students transferring out went to?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Head wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:01 pm
I know you can look at the 509's and see who transferred into a school, but is there any way to see where students transferring out went to?
The only way is to reverse engineer the 509s. I.e., say you're interested in seeing where GW students transfer. You could look at the T14s' 509s and see which had incoming GWs and then make a list of schools that way.

Head
Excellence is a habit

Post by Head » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Thank you, I was hoping it didn't involve the grunt-work of reverse engineering. I'll get to it though.

bvest

Post by bvest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:13 pm

Nebby wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Head wrote:
The only way is to reverse engineer the 509s. I.e., say you're interested in seeing where GW students transfer. You could look at the T14s' 509s and see which had incoming GWs and then make a list of schools that way.
That said, don't go to law school with the intention of transferring. (I guess we don't have a posted 0L rule in this forum yet).

Head
Excellence is a habit

Post by Head » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:00 pm

bvest wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:13 pm
Nebby wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Head wrote:
That said, don't go to law school with the intention of transferring. (I guess we don't have a posted 0L rule in this forum yet).
Don't worry, Nebby makes it clear in his guide, I was more just curious than anything.

switch

Post by switch » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Question:

How do you know what to write for the personal statement when the prompt has not been released yet? I would like to get started earlier than May 1 but maybe I will have to wait?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:22 pm

switch wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:50 pm
Question:

How do you know what to write for the personal statement when the prompt has not been released yet? I would like to get started earlier than May 1 but maybe I will have to wait?
The personal statement is the same as when you applied to law schools initially as a 0L. You can draft them now if you want.

Meelo

Post by Meelo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Hey Nebby - what's the best way to go about contacting those who have already transferred from current 1L school to potential/desired transfer school? Asking for a friend and not as a 0L who's scared to post this question.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Meelo wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 pm
Hey Nebby - what's the best way to go about contacting those who have already transferred from current 1L school to potential/desired transfer school? Asking for a friend and not as a 0L who's scared to post this question.
I sent them messages over FB.