Guide for Transferring to Another Law School

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
lkoy

Re: Guide for Transferring to Another Law School

Post by lkoy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:06 am

Did anyone transfer to Columbia / NYU / Cornell here that can speak on how transfer students are treated.
Ideally, I would prefer to go to Columbia but second choice would be NYU.
Grades are above the 75% of both Columbia and NYU.

Just wondering if I would be treated as a reject or something as a transfer.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:51 am

I transferred to CLS and wasn't treated any differently. All of the friends I still stay in contact with were native (non-transfer) students.

The hardest part of being a transfer is that you missed out on the bonding of 1L, therefore you have to be more purposeful in building new social relationships.

lkoy

Post by lkoy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 pm

@Nebby or others.

Is it taboo or frowned upon to call the law school you are thinking about applying to and asking, based on your school and your grades if you would be competitive as a transfer applicant?

For instance, I call Columbia and ask the admissions office questions about transferring and then ask. "I go to X school which is ranked roughly X and have a X GPA and class rank of X. Is it a competitive stat?"

bvest

Post by bvest » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:14 pm

I can't imagine that would be taken well, and they won't tell you anything anyway. GPA ranges generally (but not perfectly) follow quality of the school, so if your GPA is at 75%ile for a school's transfers, you're probably quite competitive, assuming your school isn't big on grade inflation. And you've stated that you're top 2%. If you maintain that, you're competitive basically anywhere but Y and S.

Nony

Post by Nony » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Keep in mind that many adcomms have JDs, or even if they don't, they've worked with law students/JDs for years. They are never going to tell you anything concrete about your chances because they don't want to be sued. They will say that they can't comment on individual applicants' but they review every application holistically and welcome your application and look forward to reviewing it.

(Besides, what good would the answer do? A yes wouldn't guarantee anything and there's no point in ruling yourself out for them - apply and make them reject you.)

lkoy

Post by lkoy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 pm

@bvest and @nony That makes sense. Thanks for the answers. :)

switch

Post by switch » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:34 am

lkoy wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:06 am
Did anyone transfer to Columbia / NYU / Cornell here that can speak on how transfer students are treated.
Ideally, I would prefer to go to Columbia but second choice would be NYU.
Grades are above the 75% of both Columbia and NYU.

Just wondering if I would be treated as a reject or something as a transfer.
I transferred to NYU in a previous round. It hurts me that you would prefer Columbia for some unstated reason. But if Morningside Heights is where you see yourself, who am I to judge?

NYU Transfers are treated well and honestly most people have the mistaken notion that transfers are super smart and driven people. This is supported by both the obvious point that only those who do well on exams have the option to transfer and the less obvious point that most of the students who transferred out of their 1L class went to schools like Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. You won't have the face recognition and you won't have gone through the 1L crucible with this group of people, so you simply don't have a bond with your class yet. That being said, NYU has a larger class so many students from one section don't know other sections either. In that sense, a transfer is disadvantaged but not by much. You would be pretty much in the same position as a student in one section that didn't socialize much.

2L is the year where students actually start to tailor their academics to their career interests and that would be the optimal place to form new friendships. At the end of the day, you won't have any problem unless you launch yourself into a mindset of introversion (which some people definitely do). Law school is long and you will have plenty of time to socialize as long as you put yourself out there and actually do things on campus.