Transferring to a T-6 from a T1 full ride (Patent Law)

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
BusinessLaw

Transferring to a T-6 from a T1 full ride (Patent Law)

Post by BusinessLaw » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:51 am

Hey all,

I am an international 1L at a school ranked 20-30. I am currently in the top 10% (maybe top 5% - the school doesn't release ranks) and have a GPA of 3.79. Our school won't have letter grades this semester. I have something very similar to an undergrad in EE (not exactly that since in my country it's called something else) and I want and need patent biglaw (open to pros, lit, and tech transfer). I have eight years of international business experience before law school. While I was originally planning to continue in my present school given the full ride I have here, given that the economy would soon tank, I am wondering if transferring would be a good idea. Do you guys think I have a shot at HYS or CCN and whether for patent big law, it makes any sense to transfer assuming we enter a recession soon? Also, do you think Berkeley would be a better pick for IP biglaw especially since it would be about 25K cheaper pre-interest (over two years) than any other T14?
P.S. - I don't mind taking a loan if I am able to pay it back thanks to a biglaw job; I don't have strong enough ties to any geography; I want to settle down in the US (no geographic preferences) and don't wish to head back home.

redtop291

Re: Transferring to a T-6 from a T1 full ride (Patent Law)

Post by redtop291 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:08 pm

With a full ride, I'd stay put. Especially given the uncertainty of the economy, adding unnecessary debt is not wise. I wish I was in your position lol.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:18 pm

It's really hard to say without knowing where you've been admitted and what the job prospects are from your current school. But I'd tend towards saying
redtop291 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:08 pm
With a full ride, I'd stay put. Especially given the uncertainty of the economy, adding unnecessary debt is not wise.
The conventional wisdom is you will be in just as strong a job-seeking position from the top of your class at your current school as you would be at the median of whatever school you transferred into, all without the additional debt and disruption of a transfer. But I know nothing about the patent law job market specifically.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:24 pm

you have a shot at CCN on down, +1 to redtop and ymmv on not transferring, especially if you're at GW.

BusinessLaw

Post by BusinessLaw » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Thanks all. School sends about 35-40% to BL+FC on average (over the last 5 years or so). My case is a little different because I am an international. If I were not, I would not even think about transferring honestly. There is a ton of anecdotal evidence that internationals tend to face additional hurdles in biglaw hiring and being in the top-6 or targeting NYC makes it slightly easier. I am not in or near NYC now. Any thoughts on this specific point would be much appreciated.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:12 pm

are you dead set on IP?

BusinessLaw

Post by BusinessLaw » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:49 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:12 pm
are you dead set on IP?
Actually, no. I am dead set only on big law. I have an MBA and business background and my profile may be suited for corporate. And I don't mind general civil litigation either. However, I have met with many patent attorneys over the year and I seem to like what they do (have been involved in patent law events that required me to study the case law, etc.). Plus, I assumed patent law might be the easiest bet. Otherwise, I am open to all geographies and practice areas as of now.

BusinessLaw

Post by BusinessLaw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Any more advice?

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:23 pm

Seeing as how you're not deadset on IP, and only biglaw or bust, then the consensus is to not transfer, keep your debt low, and good luck interviewing in a wacky OCI schedule.

You should reach out to your school's OCS and be prepared for what's coming down the pike. I don't know what the massmail schedule will look like going into summer, but you should try and be prepared for that as well. Might want to make two different resumes, one for IP and one for general biglaw.

but the umbrella advice is to not transfer and save yourself $100k.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:42 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:23 pm
Seeing as how you're not deadset on IP, and only biglaw or bust, then the consensus is to not transfer, keep your debt low, and good luck interviewing in a wacky OCI schedule.

You should reach out to your school's OCS and be prepared for what's coming down the pike. I don't know what the massmail schedule will look like going into summer, but you should try and be prepared for that as well. Might want to make two different resumes, one for IP and one for general biglaw.

but the umbrella advice is to not transfer and save yourself $100k.
Agree with this. You'll also want two cover letters for each market you're targeting, one for IP and one for general biglaw. IP types like to see why you're interested in IP work (to the extent people read cover letters).

BusinessLaw

Post by BusinessLaw » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks, both of you! Yes, I applied for 1L SA positions with two different resumes and CLs. I did get a few interviews but didn't get a biglaw offer.

CelestialLaw07

Post by CelestialLaw07 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:21 am

BusinessLaw wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:31 pm
Thanks, both of you! Yes, I applied for 1L SA positions with two different resumes and CLs. I did get a few interviews but didn't get a biglaw offer.
1L SA jobs are very hard to come by - don't feel discouraged.

BusinessLaw

Post by BusinessLaw » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:03 am

CelestialLaw07 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:21 am
BusinessLaw wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:31 pm
1L SA jobs are very hard to come by - don't feel discouraged.
Thanks! Yes, I am aware. I applied to more than 100 firms and got very close to bagging a job but didn't!