GPA Calculation in Transfer Stats

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
TransferHopeful

GPA Calculation in Transfer Stats

Post by TransferHopeful » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:41 pm

Hey, sorry to make another post but I was curious how different GPA stats are treated? Are they re-calculated if they differ from the typical 4.0? For example, my GPA is a 4.06 out of 4.33. I plan to apply to Columbia and Harvard, are they recalculating my GPA to be out of 4.0, or are their transfer GPAs calculated out of 4.3? I ask because looking at 509s, I either surpass the median 3.95 (if out 4.33) or I'm below it (if I treat my A+s as 4.0, then my GPA is technically 3.9).

Similarly, other T14 509s don't really clarify what the total GPA is out of. Does anyone have any guidance?

UVA2B

Re: GPA Calculation in Transfer Stats

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:58 pm

This will obviously be school specific and I’m not familiar with either school’s specific policy on how GPAs are calculated once you transfer, but the 509 is reporting your GPA at your previous school, so that would presumably be before any conversion. They may even convert your GPA in considering whether to admit you as a transfer, but for reporting to be uniform, it must be an unaltered GPA that all schools use or a universal GPA conversion formula, and I can’t find anything on ABA to support that being the case. In fact, Harvard’s 75th last year of 4.02 suggests they are looking above a 4.0.

They’ll consider you based on your unaltered GPA and the relative prestige of your current school.

TransferHopeful

Re: GPA Calculation in Transfer Stats

Post by TransferHopeful » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:00 pm

Thank you so much!