Transferring, and letter of good standing...

Discuss all things related to transfer admissions, including chances, choice of school, etc.
Jimlaw123

Transferring, and letter of good standing...

Post by Jimlaw123 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:32 pm

Hello,

Just would love some advice on transferring (I left my other school after 1 semester, a host of issues) but, now I am applying for a new school a year later (took the year off, to address a lot of things, figure if law was for me, etc...) so now I'm trying to apply for a new school. Some schools want a Letter of Good standing... which is fine, but the school I left, is very... well, weird, and personal.

I'm scared the school is going to say negative things about me, or not give me my "Letter of good standing' since I withdrew during the second semester, so I have no grades, etc...(I'm fine with starting over the first year, though it sucked) I just want to be able to go to a new school without a whole host of 'drama' that my first school sort of putting me through... I don't know what to do, or has anyone dealt with this? (having left on not the best of terms, but having to get this letter, etc...)

(Any advice is greatly appreciated, as I'm turning in applications this week, etc... thanks)

Nony

Re: Transferring, and letter of good standing...

Post by Nony » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:31 pm

A letter of good standing is really just an administrative thing saying you weren't on academic probation/hadn't failed out/hadn't been kicked out or put on probation for disciplinary reasons. If you didn't get any grades, you were in good standing in that you were an enrolled student who hadn't been kicked out/put on probation for academic reasons. If the "drama" includes disciplinary issues, maybe it's a closer issue. But basically it's just a standard record of your status with the school and shouldn't be an issue because it's not a personal thing - it's not a letter of recommendation or the like.

That said, sometimes schools are weird about people leaving and it's possible they would make you jump through some hoops to get it. But since you withdrew already and so it's not like they're trying to keep you from transferring, I can't imagine it's going to be an issue. Again, presuming the "drama" and "not the best of terms" doesn't include serious academic or disciplinary issues.

(Also, just for the record, you're not transferring - you're reapplying to start over.)