Federal Security Clearance Timeline

Post by 1515 »

I know there may be no answer to this, but how long does it typically take after submitting the SF85 and fingerprint form to hear back re: clearance? Can anyone provide some data points and anecdotes--especially people who didn't get the clearance due to drug use? And did they outright reject you or did they tell you to withdraw so a rejection wouldn't appear on your record?
minnbills

Re: Federal Security Clearance Timeline

Post by minnbills »

Depends on whether you're the president's son-in-law.

For real though, it took a couple of weeks for me. But I did not have any negative information coming out.
Danger Zone

Post by Danger Zone »

To receive your interim clearance or to receive full clearance? It's different for everyone depending on what's in your SF85. Interim could take a few weeks, full could take months or even a year. Also depends on what level you're going for, obviously a secret will be faster than a top secret because for the latter they interview your family, friends, neighbors etc.
blueapple

Post by blueapple »

I used an SF86 and had no drug use issues other than like smoking pot < 10 times during college, so this probably isn't that helpful for you... but my clearance took 6-8 months (can't remember exactly)
BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn »

I don't think I've ever heard of an SF85 taking a full year. Maybe 6 months?

Really would have to know more about what org, what sort of drug use, and whether you put it down to say more. My impression is that SF85 means a pretty easy background check.
Danger Zone

Post by Danger Zone »

Yeah to give another anecdote, I did an SF 86 as well with minimal disclosures other than recreational drug use in college (>3 years prior to applying) and it took about 9 months to get the full clearance. Interim was approved within a month.

Also BU is right, you can ignore what I said above as far as timing because I was basing it on the SF86.
blueapple

Post by blueapple »

I don't even remember anything about interim clearance. I must have gotten it I guess?
LSNlife

Post by LSNlife »

It definitely depends on your organization and the clearance level you’re being investigated for without that even an educated guess could range from a couple of months to a over a year for some of the higher levels.
BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn »

LSNlife wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:31 pm It definitely depends on your organization and the clearance level you’re being investigated for without that even an educated guess could range from a couple of months to a over a year for some of the higher levels.
SF 85 is for non-sensitive non-national security positions so I think you can take anything over a year off the table.
LSNlife

Post by LSNlife »

BlendedUnicorn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:08 pm
LSNlife wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:31 pm It definitely depends on your organization and the clearance level you’re being investigated for without that even an educated guess could range from a couple of months to a over a year for some of the higher levels.
SF 85 is for non-sensitive non-national security positions so I think you can take anything over a year off the table.
True, my fault. I misread that as SF-86
byronpaf

Post by byronpaf »

This reads like a mafia movie script except it's too far fetched and no-one would believe it
BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn »

byronpaf wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:04 pm This reads like a mafia movie script except it's too far fetched and no-one would believe it
Wut?