Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

2L Summer Q

CS1775

2L Summer Q

Post by CS1775 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm in sort of a weird conundrum, so I'd like to get some insight...

For my 2L, going to be 3L summer, I want to intern with a public defender office so I can hopefully either receive a job offer or put myself in as good a resume position as possible. I am going to be able to appear in court as an intern during this upcoming summer of 2019.

I primarily want to work and intern in State A. State A has a centralized, state-based PD system where all hiring of both interns and PDs is done through one office. I go to law school in State A, I'm originally from State A, and I want to live and practice in State A. State A's PD office participates in the NYU PI Career Fair and also has OCI for summer internships in January. Basically, I have to wait until either January or February to apply, get an interview, and know if I have something locked up with State A's PD office.

State B decentralizes PD hiring out to the county/regional level for both interns and PDs. I can apply to State B PD offices beginning... well, now, or around 12/1. These counties will not be at NYU. I intend to be licensed in State B because it borders State A, however I don't see myself living or working there for my entire career unless I get a very nice private sector offer after being a PD for some time. Both my law school's PI faculty guru and PDs from State B have told me that certain regions of the state are in desperate need of public defenders. Until very recently, State B PDs got paid $45k but are now paid about the same as State A at $60k.

How do I deal with State A's intern hiring process being about a month or two behind State B's?

Kümmel

Re: 2L Summer Q

Post by Kümmel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:13 pm

You seem very well informed but maybe you're wrong re State A hiring. You should see about just applying now/pushing it earlier. State A doesn't even participate in EJW for 2L summer? Statewide offices like NH/CO/NJ all do. If you're right, then you need to be aggressive reaching out to State A and seeing if you can get an interview now. Really go all in with its your first choice (if true). If that doesn't work, then continue forward with getting other 2L summer offers now and see if you can drag those out until you hear back from State A.

RoyalHollow

Post by RoyalHollow » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:26 pm

I think I basically agree with the above. If State A is your strong preference, but you are nervous about leaving your eggs all in that basket, then apply to both, but hustle State A as hard as you can. I don't really understand why you are getting barred in both states? Or did I misunderstand?

CS1775

Post by CS1775 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:26 pm

RoyalHollow wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:26 pm
I think I basically agree with the above. If State A is your strong preference, but you are nervous about leaving your eggs all in that basket, then apply to both, but hustle State A as hard as you can. I don't really understand why you are getting barred in both states? Or did I misunderstand?
I do plan on getting barred in both states. They're both UBE and most lawyers in the area are licensed in both. Think NJ/NY, CT/NY, NH/Mass, Mass/NY, etc.

The January date for State A comes from my law school's Career Development office. I asked about jumping the gun and was specifically told "no, just wait." I'm meeting with them again on Thursday just to be clear.

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:21 pm

absolutely do not listen to your career development office. they really don't know what theyre talking about. you should be applying/reaching out directly to State A ASAP

CS1775

Post by CS1775 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 am

Kümmel wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:21 pm
absolutely do not listen to your career development office. they really don't know what theyre talking about. you should be applying/reaching out directly to State A ASAP
Noted, thanks. Now I can mail out applications on Saturday for both State A and B.

CS1775

Post by CS1775 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Learned quite a bit more about both State A and B today meeting with Career Development.

State A's PD does not participate in EJW but instead does NYU and participates in the Massachusetts Consortium of Law Schools. The reason for this is because State A's PD does not hire classes of law graduates, but rather hires on a "one-in, one-out" basis. My reading of various forums, etc. doesn't contradict this (I can PM the office if someone really wants). This is also consistent with the amount of alums this PD hires, which is not great - if they hire on a one-in, one-out basis, they're not going to hire masses of alums.

State B PD offices do tend to do more hiring, especially of my law school's grads. For instance, two alums work at an office I'm considering. I am also going to be interning at a State B PD during the spring, so I could plausibly spend both the spring and summer there.

CD advised me to hold off on applying until I'm comfortable with my spring office and have the "so, mind if I stay for the summer?" conversation.

Considering my goal is to make sure I'm employed after law school, I'm inclined to simply not work for State A's PD office. I'll be licensed in both, therefore I can always come back or work in B but live in A.

Or, I ignore Career Development...