EJW Conference

Post Reply
chandhi
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

EJW Conference

Post by chandhi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:14 pm

I have heard very mixed reviews about the value of attending the EJW Conference. I would love to hear people's thoughts and experiences. Here are some questions to get the discussion going:

1. Should I attend as a rising 2L and again as a rising 3L?
2. Is it possible to get a full time job out of the conference, or is it better for internships?
3. How stressful is it to essentially to fly to a different city to do OCI in the middle of the semester?
4. Any good experiences/bad experiences/horror stories?
5. General advice?

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 3947
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Nebby call-in!

User avatar
Leela
Moderator
Posts: 1167
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Leela » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 pm

1. yes to both
2. yes
3. stressful, but it's a great way to get your foot in the door
4. It's a zoo. Your interviews are in a giant hotel ballroom, so it's loud and fast. I'm not sure what kind of job you're looking for, but screeners are different for different positions. Bring lots of copies of everything to hand out.


Happy to answer further questions

User avatar
Kümmel
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Kümmel » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:23 am

chandhi wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:14 pm
I have heard very mixed reviews about the value of attending the EJW Conference. I would love to hear people's thoughts and experiences. Here are some questions to get the discussion going:

1. Should I attend as a rising 2L and again as a rising 3L?
2. Is it possible to get a full time job out of the conference, or is it better for internships?
3. How stressful is it to essentially to fly to a different city to do OCI in the middle of the semester?
4. Any good experiences/bad experiences/horror stories?
5. General advice?
This is totally dependent on what kind of work you’re looking for. Could be more helpful with more information. PD work kind of required you go, being a DA pretty much no reason to go

chandhi
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by chandhi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:57 am

Kümmel wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:23 am
chandhi wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:14 pm
I have heard very mixed reviews about the value of attending the EJW Conference. I would love to hear people's thoughts and experiences. Here are some questions to get the discussion going:

1. Should I attend as a rising 2L and again as a rising 3L?
2. Is it possible to get a full time job out of the conference, or is it better for internships?
3. How stressful is it to essentially to fly to a different city to do OCI in the middle of the semester?
4. Any good experiences/bad experiences/horror stories?
5. General advice?
This is totally dependent on what kind of work you’re looking for. Could be more helpful with more information. PD work kind of required you go, being a DA pretty much no reason to go
I think doing PD work would be awesome (almost did that this summer), but I'm also interested in a lot of things that fall under the civil rights umbrella. I would happily work for a bunch of the orgs that are on the list right now.

chandhi
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by chandhi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:00 am

Leela wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 pm
1. yes to both
2. yes
3. stressful, but it's a great way to get your foot in the door
4. It's a zoo. Your interviews are in a giant hotel ballroom, so it's loud and fast. I'm not sure what kind of job you're looking for, but screeners are different for different positions. Bring lots of copies of everything to hand out.


Happy to answer further questions
Thanks so much! How many interviews do students do, generally? And do you have a sense of how successful people were with landing jobs?

Also, interviews in a giant ballroom sound kind of terrifying. Do you remember if it was difficult to hear the questions they were asking?

chandhi
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by chandhi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am

Also I checked out my school's policy on funding EJW trips and I will likely have to pay a couple hundred dollars out of pocket to do this - still worth it?

User avatar
Kümmel
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Kümmel » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:59 pm

chandhi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am
Also I checked out my school's policy on funding EJW trips and I will likely have to pay a couple hundred dollars out of pocket to do this - still worth it?
There's a lot going on here that is very individual specific (what school you go to/past experience), so it's hard to give a direct answer. Since you seem to have a wide range of interests and aren't targeting super specific orgs, it probably wont mean much for you to skip as a 2L. You'll get a 2L summer gig no issue outside of EJW, but you should be applying NOW. The real hussle where it's worth spending the $$ will be as a 3L for full-time gigs

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 7325
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Nebby » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:33 pm

I had an initial screener during 3L at EJW for a post grad enviro law fellowship that turned into a call back and an offer (accept a different offer elsewhere).

I know it's also big for internships, but you can likely get the position you want by applying directly to the organization.

My organization interviews at EJW for summer internships. We view it as a way of connecting with applicants that might not otherwise apply to us.

chandhi
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by chandhi » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:50 pm

OK this is all very helpful, thank you. I am still on the fence but am not going to make it a top priority to attend this year. I will definitely plan and budget to attend next year, though.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 932
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Borhas » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:37 pm

I got my first job through it, it's not that stressful unless you think interviews are stressful. DC is cool, so you can do some cool stuff there afterwards.

chandhi
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by chandhi » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Borhas wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:37 pm
I got my first job through it, it's not that stressful unless you think interviews are stressful. DC is cool, so you can do some cool stuff there afterwards.
OK, cool, that's great to hear. I was in DC this summer and would love to go back.

If anyone was wondering, I signed up for all the pre-EJW resume/cover letter/interview workshops that my school offers and am kind of planning to go, but we'll see.

User avatar
abyss
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by abyss » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:59 pm

I've finally heard back from all the offices I applied to. Happy with my results.

Good luck to everyone going!

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 7325
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Nebby » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:58 pm

I will be at the employer networking happy hour on Friday if anyone wants to get tipsy (are students invited?)

User avatar
abyss
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by abyss » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Nebby wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:58 pm
I will be at the employer networking happy hour on Friday if anyone wants to get tipsy (are students invited?)
From 5:30-6:30? The schedule on their site says Employers/Law School Professionals, so I don't think it is open to students.

User avatar
Stranger
Posts: 2513
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 am

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Stranger » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 pm

abyss wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 pm
Nebby wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:58 pm
I will be at the employer networking happy hour on Friday if anyone wants to get tipsy (are students invited?)
From 5:30-6:30? The schedule on their site says Employers/Law School Professionals, so I don't think it is open to students.
That's unfortunate. I'm planning on driving up with a bunch of other 1Ls. I guess we won't get to meet Nebby. :(

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 7325
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Nebby » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Stranger wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 pm
abyss wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 pm
Nebby wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:58 pm
I will be at the employer networking happy hour on Friday if anyone wants to get tipsy (are students invited?)
From 5:30-6:30? The schedule on their site says Employers/Law School Professionals, so I don't think it is open to students.
That's unfortunate. I'm planning on driving up with a bunch of other 1Ls. I guess we won't get to meet Nebby. :(
My bald ass will be there both day doing table talk between interviews.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:51 am

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Hand » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Borhas wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:37 pm
I got my first job through it, it's not that stressful unless you think interviews are stressful.
mmm ballroom interviews, especially when the ballroom is the size of a fucking airport, are a special kind of hell

I got some internship offers through EJW. If you want to work at the types of places that interview there, you should go.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 7325
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Nebby » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:00 pm


User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 7325
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Nebby » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:03 am

Bump for 2019

User avatar
Clamence
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Clamence » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:18 am

If prospective employers only offer "table talks," is it worth attending?

User avatar
abyss
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by abyss » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Clamence wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:18 am
If prospective employers only offer "table talks," is it worth attending?
Yes, I know folks that parlayed a table talk into an interview.

User avatar
Kümmel
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Kümmel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Yes just be at table talks early

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 7325
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Nebby » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:31 am

We hired an Associate Attorney (enviro nonprofit) who we originally met at table talk. They impressed us so much that we offered them an interview at headquarter office in Chicago and subsequently hired them.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 7325
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Re: EJW Conference

Post by Nebby » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:33 am

I'm an idiot - I signed up to interview candidates for our summer program and only two weeks ago realized it's the same day (Oct 18) as the first day of my vacation in Peru, lol. Thankfully my colleague can interview them but bummed to miss this year's conference!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest