Federal attorneys: moving from non-GS to GS scale positions

Federal attorneys: moving from non-GS to GS scale positions

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:25 pm

For those of you with experience or knowledge about federal pay bands: what’s the general practice for an agency when they hire a new attorney from a non-GS scale agency into a position on the GS scale? I’m at a non-GS agency and applied for a position that ranges in grades (GS11-GS15). Do agencies on the GS scale generally try to match your non-GS pay with something similar on the scale? For example, if I was making $110k on a non-GS scale, would they look for what the equivalent of that salary was in my current location (e.g. locality pay) and match that to where it would be on the GS scale?

FWIW, I’m a mid-levelish attorney in terms of years of experience (5-6).

Adso

Re: Federal attorneys: moving from non-GS to GS scale positions

Post by Adso » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:25 pm

I can speak to going from GS to a non-GS pay scale. I think it's general practice to try to at least match your prior federal salary. HR at my new agency explicitly told me that they tried to match my GS level salary in determining the offer (and they did). However, many agencies have rules that establish ceilings based on years experience. So, if you're at a GS-15 but with only 4 years of attorney experience (rare, but they exist), it could be a hard sell to match your salary on the non-GS scale since a GS-15-equivalent salary is usually reserved for attorneys with +7 years experience. Some agencies may also have their own quirks. My former agency would only hire people at a GS-11, regardless of your prior federal salary, though they were willing to bump you several steps within the GS-11 grade level in attempt to match your salary.