Careers in legal aid

Potat

Re: Careers in legal aid

Post by Potat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi all! Circling back to Dickinson Law, you think I'd have a good shot at legal aid in Philly? I think I would enjoy living there. My mom was raised there, so she's excited about the prospect.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of Dickinson Law representation in PA legal aid on LinkedIn. There are a few Dickinson Law alums practicing big law in Philadelphia. Surprisingly, I think I tracked more alums practicing big law in Delaware.

Story

Post by Story » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:18 pm

I’m not as familiar with the legal aid market in Philly.

Are you sure you would want to spend your initial (at least) legal career in Philly? I forgot, do you have any SO that might object?

Have you asked Dickinson if they have stats about students who work in legal aid soon after law school? Maybe you can even ask to speak to an alumnus who does legal aid.

I imagine your chances of Philly legal aid will be pretty good. The biggest obstacle might be your lack of ties to the area. But if your mom is from there, maybe it could work as a “tie” to the area.

Potat

Post by Potat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:38 pm

I don't think I'd mind. I have immediate family scattered in the northeast (DC, NYC, Boston), so I wouldn't feel alone. My mom's nearing retirement age, so she may even join me there soon after law school. I'm currently single.

I'll reach out to Dickinson for those stats and see if they can connect me with an alum. Thanks!

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Philly seems like a cool city, but that's putting a lot of eggs in a basket kind of randomly. There's not a clear path back to California if you go and don't like it.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:22 pm

Potat wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:01 pm
Hi all! Circling back to Dickinson Law, you think I'd have a good shot at legal aid in Philly? I think I would enjoy living there. My mom was raised there, so she's excited about the prospect.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of Dickinson Law representation in PA legal aid on LinkedIn. There are a few Dickinson Law alums practicing big law in Philadelphia. Surprisingly, I think I tracked more alums practicing big law in Delaware.
yeah I don't practice in philly, but in living there and doing student clinics I met dozens if not hundreds of temple law grads, a fair number of drexel law grads, a few widener folks, yet don't recall ever meeting anyone from dickinson (and apologies to them if I've forgotten). dickinson is a long drive from philly and would make doing clinics or attending networking events during the school year fairly difficult if not impossible.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 pm

oh jeez yeah, I didn't realize how far out it was. Would not go. The combination of no network in place and it being really difficult/impossible to do clinics/externships/whatever with local lawyers makes that a tough sell even if getting a gig in philly was everything you'd ever hoped and dreamed for.

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:38 pm

The thing is, it’s really early in the admissions cycle still - you don’t have to make any decisions now. It’s awesome that you got offered the full ride but I would let your cycle play out before getting committed to your various options.

Story

Post by Story » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:45 pm

You know yourself better than I do. I thought I really wanted to live in NYC for my whole life. But then life, family, job satisfaction changes, and maybe you wanna move.

If you work first in Philly, it might be hard to go anywhere else later.

sev

Post by sev » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:51 am

At least for my organization, there's a shortage of attorneys--if you're dedicated to serving our clientbase, you've got a good shot no matter where you're from.

That said, I'm in very conservative region in flyover country where access-to-justice minded people generally don't want to move... California may be different.

Potat

Post by Potat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:42 am

ymmv wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:22 pm
Potat wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:01 pm

yeah I don't practice in philly, but in living there and doing student clinics I met dozens if not hundreds of temple law grads, a fair number of drexel law grads, a few widener folks, yet don't recall ever meeting anyone from dickinson (and apologies to them if I've forgotten). dickinson is a long drive from philly and would make doing clinics or attending networking events during the school year fairly difficult if not impossible.
Did you meet any Rutgers (Camden) law grads? They've provided an offer with $$$+. I'll try to wipe the conditions. Also, Pepperdine made an offer without money (non-negotiable). :cry:

Have a happy turkey day!