Defer Summer Internship Until Fall?

Anon1

Defer Summer Internship Until Fall?

Post by Anon1 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:40 am

So, I'm a 2L and I had an internship set up for this summer at a public defender office where I was hoping to work permanently after graduating. I just got an email saying the internship is going to be remote, which I expected. It does suck, since I won't be able to appear on the record in court or work with clients directly, but I had a feeling it was coming. The problem is, the office says that since the internships are going to be remote they may not be able to keep everyone and if some people don't defer until the fall they might have to cancel some internships.
I'm concerned that I might be on the chopping block if they do cut people. I know three other people interning with this office, I was the last one to get offered an internship and as far as I know I'm the only one who has heard nothing from their direct supervisor about the situation. Should I be trying to do this as a full time externship in the fall instead? They say they still expect internships to be remote in the fall, so the only real benefit would be locking down my spot. Appreciate any thoughts at all on this.

Kümmel

Re: Defer Summer Internship Until Fall?

Post by Kümmel » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:01 am

If you're on the chopping block won't they give you the option then to defer?

I guess it really comes down to what your other summer options might be. Are you still at/near your law school? If so, if your law school has a crim defense clinic you should reach out to see if you can do your 2L summer there.

Anon1

Post by Anon1 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 am

I mean, one would think? But their email isn't really worded that way. It basically just says that if they don't get enough volunteers to defer they're gonna have to start cutting internships. I suppose maybe that means if they came to you and said your internship was going to be cancelled, you could then have the option to defer.
That's what I was thinking, there's a clinic at my school that's essentially criminal defense. I've been in the clinic the last two semesters and I'm going to be in it in the fall again, but I figured if push came to shove I could beg them to let me do some work over the summer too.
I guess maybe the best option is to tell them I'm hoping to still intern this summer, then try to do it as an externship in the fall if they cancel it?

Kümmel

Post by Kümmel » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:32 am

Anon1 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 am
I mean, one would think? But their email isn't really worded that way. It basically just says that if they don't get enough volunteers to defer they're gonna have to start cutting internships. I suppose maybe that means if they came to you and said your internship was going to be cancelled, you could then have the option to defer.
That's what I was thinking, there's a clinic at my school that's essentially criminal defense. I've been in the clinic the last two semesters and I'm going to be in it in the fall again, but I figured if push came to shove I could beg them to let me do some work over the summer too.
I guess maybe the best option is to tell them I'm hoping to still intern this summer, then try to do it as an externship in the fall if they cancel it?
Yup I agree with all that. I really wouldn't worry too much. This summer is going to be a mess for everyone across the board -- just do something PD related (and your clinic definitely is).

ohnooooo

Post by ohnooooo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Ayyy CO PD? I panicked applied to a couple of other things today too in case it's my head here

Anon1

Post by Anon1 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:07 pm

ohnooooo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:56 pm
Ayyy CO PD? I panicked applied to a couple of other things today too in case it's my head here
Yup. Really gonna suck to have to scramble to find another internship in May during the middle of a pandemic if I get cut.

ohnooooo

Post by ohnooooo » Tue May 12, 2020 5:12 pm

Have you heard anything yet?